The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good ''All-around'' EQ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Good ''All-around'' EQ?

Ok, before I get blasted for such an open ended question, let me explain:

A lot of software companies are offering Black Friday sales, etc, and I have already been looking to get a good Swiss army knife EQ for a while now so I thought I would ask what ''go to'' EQs a lot of you are using.

I own the old standard Waves Renaissance EQ, the UAD Manley Passive, as well as the Pultec EQ, and I get varying mileage out of all of them.

What I would like now is something that offers both the ability to be surgical with cuts, but also allows me to boost a lot (if necessary) while still staying musical and giving the sound character. A good visual interface would also be a big plus - something that has a spectrum analyser included, maybe even has the note/pitch values present when adjusting specific frequencies, etc.

Any and all tips are very welcome!

Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I guess, the obvious answer would be Fabfilter Pro-Q 3.
If you like R-EQ, you might have heard that they revamped their Renaissance bundle, and also included spectrum analyzer to the REQ (and note values, too), which made it much more useful for me personally. Their F6 plugin also features an analyzer, it's a dynamic EQ, and has other useful features such as band Solo if you're into that.
If you're not afraid of latency and high-ish CPU usage, IK Multimedia T-Racks (and T-Racks Max in particular) has a lot to offer in terms of EQ, like EQual which has analyzer and lots of EQ curves to choose from. They also feature API, Neve, SSL style EQs which are quite good I'd say.

edit: and just to pimp my currently favorite DAW, Studio One 4 has a default EQ with analyzer included
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The one in your DAW should do just fine IMO

Herwig
Old 2 weeks ago
Sky
Lives for gear

+1 for FabFilter Pro-Q3 as a good general purpose EQ. Sound is good enough, character is fairly neutral and versatile, visual feedback is exceptional, and it offers mid-side and natural phase modes.

Sky
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I seem to be happy using the Sonnox EQ most of the time. It's flexible and sounds good to my ears. 'Type III' filters get the most use (Neve-ish). No spectrum analyser though, so you have to trust your ears.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

CraveDSP's EQ, without a doubt. Does exactly what you say.

https://cravedsp.com/crave-eq

FWIW I posted a big blind test (originally for Sontec clones vs Magpha, then added the surgical Crave, Slick, Equilibrium and Pro Q3). Have a listen yourself:

Sontec 432: Acustica vs Nebula vs T-Racks vs Magpha

Crave and Magpha are my top picks personally.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fabfilter Q3 Kills for Sure. Demo Modus is invented
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton.Verb View Post
. . . I have already been looking to get a good Swiss army knife EQ for a while now . . . .
No question about it, Fabfilter Pro-Q 3.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Acon Digital Equalize
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
TDR Nova. Does all you ask and more. Free. Great. Crazy not to at least try
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

TDR SlickEQ M. At least demo it. Pretty cool if you ask me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Fab Filter Q3 or wait for the Klanghelm EQ to come out. I have no idea what it will look or sound like but it will be good.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fabfilter Pro-Q 3
Old 2 weeks ago
OMU
Lives for gear

CraveEq sounds and looks great, and the price is amazing for what you get. It's my top recommendation for anyone wanting a great sounding, affordable, workhorse eq. It literally replaced everything on my tracks; I only use Magpha and SlickGE for some broad strokes on busses and that's it eq wise for me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Pro Q3 and SieQ for high shelf lifts
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A downvote for Pro-Q3 as a general mixing Eq.

It's the most clinical sounding Q3 I have ever heard. While it's great for using it surgically or for mastering sessions, IMO it does not work for general mixing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton.Verb View Post
while still staying musical and giving the sound character.
No, Pro-Q3 will not stay musical and give any character.

Equilibrium, while It doesn't have the great interface of Pro-Q3, will sound with a more character.

Eiosis EQ is also an option.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Still on the Pro-Q2, gonna disagree that stock DAW's EQ being fine.

It gets the job done, surgical cutting, boosting. Put on something else for character.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I think any EQ can give "character," depending on how you define it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I think any EQ can give "character," depending on how you define it.
Phase shift, distortion, curves, transient response, number of poles etc.

All these are attributes that contribute to the sound.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I had both Fabfilter ProQ3 and ToneBoosters EQ4 here and went with EQ4. I also really like the TDR SlickEq GE and SlickEQ M. In fact all of these together cost less than ProQ 3!
Acon’s Equalize 2 is also a great EQ
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well believe it or not, your DAW would most likely offer a good all-rounder eq. If you want another option that can offer some extreme Q values, you could consider, well Q by Waves. Q10 to be more precise.

https://www.waves.com/plugins/q10-equalizer

But there would be other options, I'm sure.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search