The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Computer Hardware Failure
Old 1 week ago
Computer Hardware Failure

Thought I'd raise the issue of hardware failure, as it's bitten me 3 times in a year.

My first SSD laptop died only a few months from brand new. The first signs were short freezes accompanied by buzzing/ electronic noise. After it continued I took it into the manufacturer and they said 'hard drive dying'. So they swapped the HD under warranty. Within a few months...same story. Freezing and buzzing. I junked the whole thing soon after when it had another of its insane meltdowns.

Similar to that...to back stuff up I bought a standard 'My Passport' external usb HD. I always treated it very carefully. I started noticing that files saved to it wouldn't open or wouldn't play. Then started noticing Windows wouldn't recognise it. I managed to copy nearly everything important to a brand new usb HD, also a 2tb unit. Crisis over...

So I thought...well, that HD just completely and utterly tanked with no warning and I lost 1.6tb of stuff. This HD lasted only a couple of months. I do have many external HD's that have been fine for years. But what an age we live in, and how unlucky I am when I can buy 2 consecutively that fail like the school dunce.

Last night, my latest laptop...not a year old...SSD of course...froze and buzzed while watching youtube. That was a tell-tale sign the previous laptop exhibited. So...the its future hangs in the balance.

It's just not cricket.

Any stories? Any back up plans?

Old 1 week ago
I back everything up to an external HDD, and to my Synology NAS. The NAS in turn backs up to a second external HDD's that's always plugged into it, and to Backblaze B2. So in total I have 3 onsite copies (2 external HDD, 1 NAS) and 1 offsite copy of the most important data. Since the Synology uses the "raw" Backblaze B2 API rather than their online backup service, it isn't that expensive - about $4.50/month for ~700 GB.

With backups, if you just backup and forget it, you may find that when you most need the backup, it no longer works. You have to test your backups regularly. Also, you should have more than one backup copy, because hard drives fail at the most inconvenient of times, such as when you're n the middle of restoring after your primary drive already crashed... Also, consider offsite backups. If your house burns down, your external HDD gets stolen etc. all your data is lost.

There's also the security issue to consider. Use a different account for the Backup folder on our NAS than you use for regular file shares. That way, ranson/crypto malware can't spread as easily to your backups rendering them useless. Also, have an external HDD that's not permanently plugged in so you can keep your backups isolated if the worst were to happen.
Old 1 week ago
Yes. I can see storage going completely subscription basis in the future. The message is...don't rely on the $150 physical 2tb drives you bought...are you completely insane...that's not the future. The future is the cloud where all your base are belong to us. And the prelim to that future is inexplicable HD failure.......in an age where HD failure simply should not happen. Two in a row...come on.

Stay sharp out there.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search