The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I want "Drum to MIDI convertor" VST instead of "Drum replacer".
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I want "Drum to MIDI convertor" VST instead of "Drum replacer".

Hi, I am looking for an audio to MIDI converter for drum replacement.
In other words, I'm looking for a drum to MIDI replacer.

Many drum replacers have a built-in sound library.
But perhaps I won't use those built-in libraries.
Because I have many drum VSTi and KONTAKT libraries.

I want to replace the recorded drums with my favorite VST drum library.
If there is a good Audio to MIDI converter, I will be able to take advantage of my assets.
Do you know the best product for my application?

I am currently using Audiofront DSP TRIGGER.
https://www.audiofront.net/dspTrigger.php

However, I feel somewhat dissatisfied with the detection accuracy.
Originally this product was designed to play VSTi with electronic drum pad trigger signal.

So, it is not a product exclusively for drum replacement (Drum signal recorded with microphone).
There are options for drum replacement, but the accuracy may not be good.

In addition, some of the parameters can not enter a numeric value.(Must be operated with the mouse.)
I think that point is not preferable as operability.

Last edited by Granny Nakajima; 5 days ago at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Typo correction
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I've had some success doing exactly this with Melodyne studio in poly mode, it's not very good at picking out cymbal splashes etc, but the note detection for the bass, snare and toms gives you a good starting point (midi wise) abet with lots of "noise" ghost notes etc. But you can pick the guts of it out to use as a starting point. The velocity of the notes is a bit hit and miss too.

If you haven't already got Melodyne then it doesn't do a good enough job with drums to justify purchasing it. But then that's not what it was designed for. If you've already got it then give it a try.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I use XLN Addictive Trigger for this - its detection is really good, and the "super start" feature is really good at setting up starting points for the algorithm. Once you play a track through it, you can just drag-and-drop the midi from the plugin straight onto a midi track in your DAW.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Superior Drummer does this well
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Addictive Triggerr or Drumagog 5 does it well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thank you for many suggestions.
But, now my feeling is this.

"I want to buy a compact car for commuting. But all car dealers only sell trucks."

I studied some Drum replacer features.

Addictive Trigger
Slate Trigger
Drumagog
SPL DrumXchanger

These all come with a built-in replacer and a built-in library. I don't need them.
All my need is the ability to generate MIDI from the drum sound.
Do you know products with only such functions?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well, therre's KTDrumTrigger which does exactly that, convert audio hits to MIDI. I think it's 32 bit only and long abandoned. Mayybe you can try wrap it to 64 bit with Jbridge.
Then there's aptrigga3 and Groove Extractor, but I have no experience on this one.
Some DAWs such as Reaper and Studio One can convert to MIDI with their built in features.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

+1 on the above: you never mentioned which DAW you're using. Many of them have that functionality built-in.

Herwig
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Nakajima View Post
These all come with a built-in replacer and a built-in library. I don't need them.
All my need is the ability to generate MIDI from the drum sound.
Do you know products with only such functions?
You'll probably find it difficult to find a trigger-only plugin that has really good detection, because developing a really good trigger algorithm takes time and money.

Tbh I very rarely use any of the actual samples that come with Addictive Trigger (although they are decent)- I pretty much just use it to generate MIDI, and then drag it into the project and use Battery, BFD3, or sometimes SSD. It's detection quality is worth the price alone imho, especially as it's currently on sale.

But yeah, as a couple of people above have mentioned, most DAW's have some level of ability to do this - even if it's not a specific drum-to-midi function, most of them have transient/hitpoint detection, but they may be lacking in really accurate dynamics tracking, picking up ghost notes, etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuasalogam View Post
Well, therre's KTDrumTrigger which does exactly that, convert audio hits to MIDI. I think it's 32 bit only and long abandoned. Mayybe you can try wrap it to 64 bit with Jbridge.
Then there's aptrigga3 and Groove Extractor, but I have no experience on this one.
Some DAWs such as Reaper and Studio One can convert to MIDI with their built in features.
Thank you. I tried aptrigga3 demo.
There was no MIDI Output function, so it cannot be used for my purpose.
But I think this is a good plug-in.
It may be useful in other applications.
Thank you for information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
+1 on the above: you never mentioned which DAW you're using. Many of them have that functionality built-in.
Herwig
I am using Reaper.
Reaper has Built in audio to midi tool.
However, accuracy and operability are not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyPonyHead View Post
But yeah, as a couple of people above have mentioned, most DAW's have some level of ability to do this - even if it's not a specific drum-to-midi function, most of them have transient/hitpoint detection, but they may be lacking in really accurate dynamics tracking, picking up ghost notes, etc.
I think so, too.
Audio to MIDI converters that come with DAWs are often not elaborate.

I have tried the Addictive Trigger demo.
The detection had a function to remove unnecessary notes (microphone bleed).
I thought it was very convenient.
I'm looking for a product that has a practical detection function for drum replacement.
But, I have never seen a single Audio to MIDI converter with such a function.
It may not exist in the market.

"Products with excellent detection functions" all come with a built-in replacer and built-in library. And its expensive.

If the reason for the expensive price is a good detection function, it is acceptable to me.
But if the reason for the expensive price is the built-in replacer and built-in library,
to buy the product seems to be not optimal for me.
However, there may be no optimal product at this time. It ’s a difficult choice.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think that -like tuning software and other 'fixing' tools- there is no ultimate, do-all solution. Every piece of software will have its stronger and weaker points. It's up to you to decide if you can live with the shortcomings of the software you choose.

For me: I don't like spending money and most of those plugins will require you to do a render in real-time. Since my main DAW is Cubase I can simply double-click a clip, let it detect transients, adjust here and there and 5 seconds later I have a midi track. Good enough for me and more than useable for triggering of samples or key inputs for gates.

Herwig
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sonnox Drum Gate
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search