The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica Pensado EQ - $300 + (full price)- thoughts
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Acustica Pensado EQ - $300 + (full price)- thoughts

At what point do we stop.

Acustica plugins are getting more and more expensive.

Waves is getting more affordable.

I'd really like to compare this Pensado's EQ with a stock Waves plugin like RenEQ, to justify the $300 incremental cost.

Does it sound $300 better?

Hopefully not long to wait, should be available for trial tomorrow.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK1 View Post
At what point do we stop.

Acustica plugins are getting more and more expensive.

Waves is getting more affordable.

I'd really like to compare this Pensado's EQ with a stock Waves plugin like RenEQ, to justify the $300 incremental cost.

Does it sound $300 better?

Hopefully not long to wait, should be available for trial tomorrow.
With respect to the fact that “sound better” is 100% subjective...

Yes. Yes it will sound $300 better.

Also: Acustica becoming more expensive is a really weird claim... they’ve had massive sales, and more and more people have loyalty coupons.

Mine is 55% off.

Imagine the price I would have paid for Gold 3 on presale... shockingly low.

And I say “would have” paid because it was free... because I had Gold 2.

Having purchased AA for a few years, this was actually the least I’ve paid for their releases this year.

I am eager to try the PensadoEQ and very curious (even skeptical) that it will be considerably better than the ones already released.

But to think it could be fairly compared to Waves Ren is unlikely in my opinion. And the idea that prices are increasing is hard to see being substantiated.

My .02
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
With respect to the fact that “sound better” is 100% subjective...

Yes. Yes it will sound $300 better.

Also: Acustica becoming more expensive is a really weird claim... they’ve had massive sales, and more and more people have loyalty coupons.

Mine is 55% off.

Imagine the price I would have paid for Gold 3 on presale... shockingly low.

And I say “would have” paid because it was free... because I had Gold 2.

Having purchased AA for a few years, this was actually the least I’ve paid for their releases this year.

I am eager to try the PensadoEQ and very curious (even skeptical) that it will be considerably better than the ones already released.

But to think it could be fairly compared to Waves Ren is unlikely in my opinion. And the idea that prices are increasing is hard to see being substantiated.

My .02
What are you talking about?! Their standalone prices have always been high and just seem to be rising, especially with the “celebrity” branded stuff

It’s easy to substantiate... the price is listed on the website. There’s no fine print that says buy lots from us so that this time next year you’ll get 55% off whatever $300 plugin we drop then

$300 for a name grab is ridiculous...I thought the Greg wells plugin was a tad expensive when it dropped, but, I see now that it was just a testing of the waters

The next nebula celebrity plugin will be $400
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Yeah, 'this has to stop!' lol
AA's sales are more than generous, + the loyal customers ticket system. Remember what plugins used to cost 15 years ago?
Old 1 week ago
I'll pass judgement when it's available to demo...

Update: It's a nice EQ but it's overpriced.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Dave´s Augspergers and room would make more sense to me than his plugin and hardware EQs. Maybe a next Waves release.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just chiming in to say that I paid what I thought was a high price (at the time) for Gold v1.

I'm now on the amazing Gold v3 with absolutely no update charges.

So while I agree that Acustica plugins are an expensive outlay and this latest one is not something i'd lay down cash for, the sound quality and update policy shows that they do give back some value to the customer, on the back end.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
What are you talking about?! Their standalone prices have always been high and just seem to be rising, especially with the “celebrity” branded stuff

It’s easy to substantiate... the price is listed on the website. There’s no fine print that says buy lots from us so that this time next year you’ll get 55% off whatever $300 plugin we drop then

$300 for a name grab is ridiculous...I thought the Greg wells plugin was a tad expensive when it dropped, but, I see now that it was just a testing of the waters

The next nebula celebrity plugin will be $400
Hey-

Really wondering about your question since I did my best to explain.

Here’s another try:

If they’ve always been expensive (see Ultramarine) but have been increasingly running sales, issuing free upgrades, and loyalty coupons then the overall cost of ownership has actually been decreasing across the board on aggregate.

Some are outliers.

But on aggregate you can see (assuming that you follow what it means to discount something) that the MSRP is not necessarily the cost of the average purchase.

You are a great contributor to this forum, I assume you feel that the EQ should be less expensive, but please don’t act like I’m not stating facts or being hard to understand. I have direct experience that I am sharing. As someone who owns all of their plugs and bought everything they put out this year, I paid less this year substantially over all, and also less per release than either of the previous two.

So I am offering my direct experience and results as a counterpoint to what was asserted to be a rise in price.

There is a rise in MSRP. MSRP is a sales tactic.

I want to also repeat:

I think the MSRP of the PensadoEQ is absurd as well.

But again, this, Ruby, el Rey, Diamond... these have a profit-share model implied.

If these don’t sell at their “price” then they will be discounted. And having a high initial price will make it look that much more appealing.

As to the other point about comparing it to Waves RenEQ... lol

Hopefully my point is better understood, you are of course allowed your assessment, mine is based on my experience.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

...and I just saw the Black Friday prices.

Good Lord.

Hint: they aren’t increases. Lol
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Review Notes

My thoughts on the trial version

Done - Tested.. A really great mastering grade EQ, that is difficult to make sound bad on any material, pretty good sound quality, reminds me of the 1st time I tried out Acustica Nebula version 3. It clearly embodies the tone of analog, not unpleasantly harsh, no matter what you do. Reminds me the most of a Manley Massive Passive...Mastering Edition....

It is probably the most immediately effective EQ I have ever used, very easy to arrive at the result you need, i.e tweak in the direction of where you want the sound to go. Leaves a certain crispy sheen on everything., definitely has its own sonic signature...

Only three things I really do not like, I'm using Reaper and tried out teh 64 bit VST version on Windows 10

1. Every little change of settings results in an audio glitch, unpleasant to hear these. This alone made it difficult to use. Extremely unusual. I do not recall this behaviour in any other Acustica plugins, at least not to the extent in Pensado EQ.

2. Strange audio glitches during normal audio processing, even when you are not changing settings, and its not my computer - which sits at no more than 20% CPU utilisation and no more than 30% Real time CPU Utilisation...

3. Expensive. , for some...

Not likely to use this on channels during normal mixing cos the glitches are absolutely horrendous and irritating, and unnecessary....

May wait until the mix is finished to try it out again and add some mojo to the master buss....

I like the sound, seems pretty SSL derived and clean rather than Neve sounding.

Definitely an expensive sounding EQ... Pity about the audio glitching

When I read the manual, something very strange - it states than Xeon CPU's are not recommended.

Pretty strange, I use a xeon e3-1245 v3. could this be a reason why the plugin is acting weirdly, on my PC.

Unfortunately the manual does not qualify the reason for not recommending Xeon's.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
I mix @ 96k and have tried going down to 44.1 but this compromise did not significantly improve the demand on CPU.

The only thing that seems to work is a large buffer size. typically I use 576 @ 96k which gives me about 6 milliseconds output latency with virtual instruments. I suspect the real output latency from MIDI in to audio at my speakers is about 8 milliseconds. But I'm relatively happy with this.

To bring CPU demand to reasonable levels, I had to bring the output latency down to about 20 seconds, which obviously is no good for real time use. and I had to limit myself to teh non zero latency versions of PensadoEQ.

In closing, Acqua plugins are all resource intensive and I would consider that you need a pretty hefty like an i7 (7th generation or better) running at 4.5 Ghz on all cores, or faster, and a modern Audio interface with well tuned drivers.

Long and short - Acustica is only an option for those with a lot of money, cos they need about 6 or more times the CPU of many of their plugin competitors demands..

Definitely not plugins that I think would be great for tracking.. unless you had the horsepower in your CPU's to support it.

And that Xeon issue - strange - I wonder why Acustica and Xeons do not play ball?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search