The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microsoft on the take we all suffer
Old 1 week ago
Microsoft on the take we all suffer

So I recently had to reinstall Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit on my Xeon Workstation.
For a product that is supported to 2023 Microsoft really doesn't want you to get your moneys worth. No I am not temped to get new products if you don't make a decent product to start with.

I still love Windows minus the update disaster.

Long story short when you try to reinstall Windows 8 and get all the updates it runs into many snags and for most people I can see why they just get Windows 10 or abandon Windows alltogether or get Windows ten then abandoned Windows.

I can't even believe Windows can get away with it but you have little choice for people like me who can't stand Apple.

It is like having the choice of only two of anything and both could be better.

I don't know where Microsoft is making money from these days but they don't seem to be hurting.

Ten years ago Microsoft was a positive topic of discussion now Microsoft is talked about like something bearable but we just want to go there.

Get a clue Windows and EARN your fans again. All those employees someone must have a fn clue. And big brothering me is not going to pull me in. All these Google, Apple and Microsofts that have all of our data think we like it.

At least there is stuff online to help you fix your Windows.

...and that is my 2 cents have a nice day.

Mike
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

8.1 updates run into many "snags" on your computer? Or every computer on planet earth?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You make it sound like 10 years ago reinstalling Windows was a breeze.. oh the golden memories of installing all the drivers manually!

Yeah, being back floppies! That will sort out our problems!
Old 1 week ago
re Windows 8

Ok my Windows 8.1 Pro finally seems to be installed.

Aside from that independant update fix you will find out about it went ok.

It also might help if you install the motherboard chipset drivers. Not sure if this is done automatically but I installed the ones for my board.

I set my updates on automatic and it all went ok for some 80 updates. I also installed all the optional ones as well.

My usb hub not being recognized still bugged me so I got a new one and it installed ok right away so that problem is fixed too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
For one thing how do you get back a sane start menu in 8.1? I know how to do it in 10, but see no option in 8.1. Pokki?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
For one thing how do you get back a sane start menu in 8.1? I know how to do it in 10, but see no option in 8.1. Pokki?
I've been using this for Win 8, 8.1 or 10, when needed.
https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

Michal
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search