The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can someone help me understand the point of "smart" compressors/EQ plugins?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Can someone help me understand the point of "smart" compressors/EQ plugins?

This is not at all a critique of said plugins, but rather that I can't seem to understand their value despite the general consensus about them being very positive.

For example in some songs, I would like my kick drum to be extremely punchy and quick, on another, I'd like to have the exact opposite effect.

The way I have seen people use these plugins is that the smart comp "analyzes" that single kick drum track, then sets parameters accordingly. What concerns me is that the plugin has no awareness about the context that the kick drum is being played in.

With smart EQ's, their purpose is to "even out" the tonal imbalances by reducing/increasing the gain in frequencies that are uneven - while I do understand the value in putting that on the master bus where there are multiple tracks at varying frequencies; on a single track, are not those tonal imbalances exactly what makes an instrument interesting? And without context of other instruments, how would a "smart" eq know which frequencies to focus on.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

They aren't set and forget. You have to smartly deploy and employ them. They aren't for every situation or task. Or for every person. Or for every type or track or music.

But they can work a bit of magic when things are right.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search