The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need Help With Macbook And Kontakt
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Need Help With Macbook And Kontakt

Hey Guys,

I am trying to duplicate all of my Win studio software onto my 2017 Macbook Pro Retina with 256 HD, i7, for a mobile studio.

When I try to download very large Kontakt libraries to my 2 TB external hardrive I get an error message that I need to delete some data on my Mac HD in order for the download to take place on my 2 TB external drive. Apparently the Mac HD needs some buffering room for the download, even though it's not being downloaded on the Mac.

If I knew this, I would have got the 1 TB drive in the Macbook. For now, I can't do anything. There is no extra data to delete on the Mac. No silly videos or jpegs.

The error messages I am getting is that I only need to clear 40GB or so.

Any suggestions?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I’m not sure what there is to do except clear those 40 GBs.....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Move 40GB temporarily to your external drive, download, then move it back?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you can’t free up the 40 or so GB of storage on your MBP as Zfire suggested then maybe buy a external 1TB USB 3.1 external HD and clone your MBP boot drive to it using Carbon Copy Cloner and reboot into the external drive during the Kontakt libraries installation or just create a boot volume on the 2TB external drive. That is if your MBP internal boot drive won’t also need certain Kontakt related files installed during the installation process on your 2TB external drive.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanephil View Post
If you can’t free up the 40 or so GB of storage on your MBP as Zfire suggested then maybe buy a external 1TB USB 3.1 external HD and clone your MBP boot drive to it using Carbon Copy Cloner and reboot into the external drive during the Kontakt libraries installation or just create a boot volume on the 2TB external drive. That is if your MBP internal boot drive won’t also need certain Kontakt related files installed during the installation process on your 2TB external drive.
This should work. I can confirm that I've installed Kontakt libraries using an external boot drive that worked fine once I went back to my internal drive. Honestly it's good to have a bootable clone of your Mac anyway for emergency purposes.

Once you go back, you'll use Native Access to re-locate where the Library now resides, and it'll see all the files and be good to go.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

No, I can't move 40 GB from my OS drive, there is no garbage to move, Just the OS and Lib incorporated with the OS.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

The problem is that the MBP needs it's OS to "Buffer" data while it's being downloaded to an ext drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanephil View Post
Old 5 days ago
Dor
Lives for gear

Copy the Kontakt libraries from your PC to the new external drive. Use the Native Access app to install/locate the existing library you moved to the external drive.

You can use this in demo mode to mount the APFS formatted drive to PC to copy the libraries.
https://www.paragon-software.com/us/home/apfs-windows/ There is an HFS app if you aren’t using APFS.

Once copied to Mac drive follow these instructions on Mac. https://support.native-instruments.c...Drive#chapter1

Ps: have you set your NI download location to the external drive?

D
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Dor,

That's a good idea.

The last time I downloaded it on to my desktop and moved it to my ext drive, I couldn't get the program to format. It was an ISO file. Maybe the Access app can format it properly doing it this way.

Yes. NI location set to ext drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
Copy the Kontakt libraries from your PC to the new external drive. Use the Native Access app to install/locate the existing library you moved to the external drive.

You can use this in demo mode to mount the APFS formatted drive to PC to copy the libraries.
https://www.paragon-software.com/us/home/apfs-windows/ There is an HFS app if you aren’t using APFS.

Once copied to Mac drive follow these instructions on Mac. https://support.native-instruments.c...Drive#chapter1

Ps: have you set your NI download location to the external drive?

D
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search