The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD Bundle - Love some recommendations!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

UAD Bundle - Love some recommendations!

Jumping into the UA world and figured I should take advantage of one of the holiday bundles. I will be recording mainly acoustic and electric guitars (clean tones mostly), analog synths and vocals. Styles I dig are neo-soul, folk, ambient, Lo-fi and dub.

Got my eye on some of those tape delays but any other recommendations for tracking/mixing welcome!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hmmm, maybe this has been asked too many times before?! Ah well, GAS prevails so I can forge ahead alone. Thinking for this round:

Neve Collection
Ep 34 Tape Echo
Galaxy Tape Echo
AKG Spring Reverb
EMT Classic Plate
Fatso
Fuchs Overdrive or Friedman Buxom Betty (looking for sweet clean tones)

Maybe one or two more....?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Which Apollo did you get ? I am still indecisive on which Apollo to get but leaning into the new Twins with DIs for external synths. Didn´t have the opportunity to demo the Avalon 737 yet, but think its the best all around contender for anything clean. Besides the Avalon, Ocean Way,Capitol Chambers and the 175B & 176 are on my short list. For clean guitar tones you might look into how Cory Wong uses Apollo for his clean guitar tones on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3fStcglxoQ

I am not really happy with the UAD delays yet. Think UAD will surprise us with new ones for V10. For recording I am fine with the free Precision delay.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That Cory Wong vid was cool, thanks! I was torn between the Twin X and Apollo X but ultimately went for the Twin so I could put the extra $400 towards some new monitors.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Jumping into the UA world and figured I should take advantage of one of the holiday bundles. I will be recording mainly acoustic and electric guitars (clean tones mostly), analog synths and vocals. Styles I dig are neo-soul, folk, ambient, Lo-fi and dub.

Got my eye on some of those tape delays but any other recommendations for tracking/mixing welcome!
There are so many good plugins that it is tough to decide which ones to get. I use the 1176, 1073 and LA2 the most. I do want to get the Empirical Labs Distressor (discounted right now) and Bax EQ, but I don't want to spend the $$$.

They really have a complete catalog of plugins so it is probably best to go with one Compressor, EQ, reverb (their Capital Records and Ocean Way are good), Delay, master limiter and maybe a mic pre (1073) simulation to start. But really it is up to you and what you think sounds good. Luckily you can demo the products before you buy.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks Jason! Trying to work through some demos before this sale ends.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Jason! Trying to work through some demos before this sale ends.
Don´t worry about the sale. December sales are usually as great as this one. No need to hurry.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Of the channel strips I demo'd I went for the API Vision, absolutely fantastic dynamics processing and the preamp gave a warmth I use all the time now.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

IMO, UAD's advantage is unison plugs and reverb plugs. Years by year native argo plugins are getting better and we may cover basic effects with native plugs. So, I would pick capitol chambers and Ocean Way Room, 480L. and some unison plugs( for mic pre or guitar amps?).
Old 1 week ago
Manufacturer

Great advice in this thread already, but let me know if I can answer any specific questions you might have Jazzpunk.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

After lots of demoing In the sales yesterday I added the Neve 1073, 88rs strip as the eq was sublime. Ocean way reverb. And the API 2500 bus comp. Couldn't be happier gradually picking up different flavours of this stuff
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Great advice in this thread already, but let me know if I can answer any specific questions you might have Jazzpunk.
I have a question. (sorry to hijack)

I have 3 Apollos. A black face 8, a silver face Quad and and a silver Twin.

I have surround setup in Logic with a 5.1 speaker system. It sounds great. But I’m trying to use the Twin volume knob and it only controls the main L and R channels.

How do I get the knob to control all 6 channels? I see videos of Apollo X users doing it with a surround option in Console settings. But that option doesn’t appear in my system.

Is there some kind of hardware limitation that makes it so the Apollo 8 can’t turn down the outputs? Baffled.

To OP: EMT verbs are excellent! AKG spring is great. LA2A and 1176 are go tos. I also love the Fairchild and Distressor. Basically verbs and comps are unmatched.
Old 1 week ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post

How do I get the knob to control all 6 channels? I see videos of Apollo X users doing it with a surround option in Console settings. But that option doesn’t appear in my system.

Is there some kind of hardware limitation that makes it so the Apollo 8 can’t turn down the outputs? Baffled.
Yes, there is a hardware limitation with previous Apollos, they cannot do it. This was one of the major features of Apollo X, adding surround sound support.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The LA2a collection
The pultec collection
The 1176 collection
The 176/175
any of the unison preamps...
Capitol Chambers

I’d spend the dough on the stuff where UAD really shines... amazing FX stuff can be had elsewhere for cheap cheap
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This was my final pick for my first UAD plugs:

AKG-BX-20
AMPEX-ATR-102
CAPITOL-CHAMBERS
EMT250
EP34
FATSO
FENDER-55-DLX
FUCHS-ODS50
GALAXY-TAPE-ECHO
NEVE1073-PREAMP-EQ
PLATE140
SSLESERIES-COLLECTION
STUDERA800

Right out of the gate I'm definitely diggin' the tape delays, the guitar amp sims and the Fatso. I think it's going to take some time to learn the pre-amps, the tape sims and the reverbs but very happy so far.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Electric guitar

Don’t know if it fits your music but some soft crunchy guitar tones can be had on the chandler gav19. It’s LEGIT

Quote:

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Well - I recently fell down the UAD rabbit hole, and here's my favorites/go-tos so far:

API Vision
API 2500 buss compressor
LA2A
Fairchild compressors

Surprisingly, I've found myself using the fatso less than I thought i would. Maybe I need to spend some more time with it, but it's hard to not over saturate.
Old 1 week ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungu View Post
Well - I recently fell down the UAD rabbit hole, and here's my favorites/go-tos so far:

API Vision
API 2500 buss compressor
LA2A
Fairchild compressors

Surprisingly, I've found myself using the fatso less than I thought i would. Maybe I need to spend some more time with it, but it's hard to not over saturate.
Be sure to check out Fatso Sr (the box Dave Derr wanted to make), it has lots of extra controls that allow you to control things much more. For example, you can control transformer saturation, and adjust attack and release times.

Drew
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search