The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for a high end controller.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Looking for a high end controller.

Main contesters so far: Komplete Kontrol S49 and Novation SL mk3.

I have some hardware synths and I own Kontakt but the purchase is meant to aid the control of my soft synths. I am not super keen on getting in to Komplete other than Kontakt and maybe Reaktor. I use Ableton Live and my go-to synths and samplers are Kontakt, Omnisphere 2, Dune 3 and VPS Avenger, as well as Ableton's Instrument Racks. Good keys are paramount.

I like the SL because it seems to be a more versatile device with Live and it has faders. I don't always make melodic techno, but when I do I like to stay in session view and mute, stop and fader ride on 8-10 channels + sends to give it a live performing vibe.

I like the S49 because it is elegant looking and I hear decent things about NKS. The workflow I saw from some videos is in line with how I want to use the controller.

The Akai MPK249 was interesting until I read some crappy reviews and the Nektar P4 might be interesting but since they teamed up with Bitwig I would feel I'm not taking full advantage of the integration, since I'm working in Live. Synth workstations like my old Kurzweil K2000 but modern, preferably with decent software integration are interesting as well but I assume the price tag will be less attractive on these machines.

Could someone share some knowledge on the topic? Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search