The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Interface over Ethernet
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Interface over Ethernet

I need a reality check on interfaces for a PC. I have been looking for years (more like waiting for years) to upgrade to an interface that will allow me to ship audio from a project studio over Ethernet (Dante, AVB or otherwise) to my DAW.

It seems that everything in the available range, Red, Motu's AVB, etc. only likes to play with OS-X when it comes to audio over ethernet.

Should I just be sticking with Thunderbolt/USB-C, given that the transmission rates are so high now? My goal is to gain low latency monitoring, which is the primary reason that I have always been looking towards these types of interfaces.

Coming from the old pcie-card to audio interface world, I have always been skeptical of the thunderbolt/usb interfaces. Maybe I have been overthinking it, I know you guys will tell me if that's the case.

Thanks for any honest advice!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Not ready yet, but Metric Halo is working on a Windows driver for their great 3d interfaces. Maybe worth the wait ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdo View Post
I need a reality check on interfaces for a PC. I have been looking for years (more like waiting for years) to upgrade to an interface that will allow me to ship audio from a project studio over Ethernet (Dante, AVB or otherwise) to my DAW. ...
Can you provide some more details about what you mean by 'ship audio over Ethernet' ? Is it simple separation of the digital snake over Ethernet, or do you want to have two or more machines share a set of analog I/O, or something else?

As a simple reference, I've successfully used Dante in Windows with no issues to enable two concurrently running DAWs to capture audio at concerts.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
Can you provide some more details about what you mean by 'ship audio over Ethernet' ? Is it simple separation of the digital snake over Ethernet, or do you want to have two or more machines share a set of analog I/O, or something else?

As a simple reference, I've successfully used Dante in Windows with no issues to enable two concurrently running DAWs to capture audio at concerts.
Yup, more the former Gary. So you are saying that it should be possible to get a Focusrite Red 8Pre (for example) and have the only connection between the Windows-based DAW and the Interface be ethernet? Using Dante Via, or the regular Dante "virtual sound card"?

Last edited by birdo; 2 weeks ago at 06:22 PM.. Reason: specifying Windows DAW
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yup, more the former Gary. So you are saying that it should be possible to get a Focusrite Red 8Pre (for example) and have the only connection between the Windows-based DAW and the Interface be ethernet? Using Dante Via, or the regular Dante "virtual sound card"?
Yes, the Dante/Ethernet I/O of the Red 8Pre provide the Dante data flow and clock reference. You'd run Dante Virtual Soundcard in each of the DAW machines. Each license was $30. The free Dante Controller software sets all the from/to configs.

I think Dante Via (never used it) is for situations in which conventional ASIO hardware is adapted 'Via' software to participate in a Dante subnet as if it were a hardware Dante device.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes, the Dante/Ethernet I/O of the Red 8Pre provide the Dante data flow and clock reference. You'd run Dante Virtual Soundcard in each of the DAW machines. Each license was $30. The free Dante Controller software sets all the from/to configs.

I think Dante Via (never used it) is for situations in which conventional ASIO hardware is adapted 'Via' software to participate in a Dante subnet as if it were a hardware Dante device.
Perfect, thank you so much for the info Gary! I wonder why this use-case is so hard to find information for, all the Dante interface manufacturers seem to make it a point to state that Windows-based DAW's are just not an option, you would think that they would be touting that capability.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Perfect, thank you so much for the info Gary! I wonder why this use-case is so hard to find information for, all the Dante interface manufacturers seem to make it a point to state that Windows-based DAW's are just not an option, you would think that they would be touting that capability.
Specifically, I've used Waves Tracks Live, Studio One V3, Reaper V5 and Cakewalk by BandLab (SONAR) with Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS) Win10. On macOS, I've used DVS with Waves Tracks Live and Logic Pro X.

I generally avoid speculation, so I have no explanation for the lack of Windows commentary from the Dante manufacturers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Specifically, I've used Waves Tracks Live, Studio One V3, Reaper V5 and Cakewalk by BandLab (SONAR) with Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS) Win10. On macOS, I've used DVS with Waves Tracks Live and Logic Pro X.

I generally avoid speculation, so I have no explanation for the lack of Windows commentary from the Dante manufacturers.
Very good to know, I am using Studio One and Reaper as well, so that should work out. Yup, the lack of explicit compatibility info is strange, but you're right not to speculate as to the reason. Thanks again!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

If you need lower latencies there are currently two two Dante PCIe network cards too

Yamaha AIC128D and Focusrite PCIe-R
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoskit View Post
If you need lower latencies there are currently two two Dante PCIe network cards too

Yamaha AIC128D and Focusrite PCIe-R
Thanks, I have come across those two previously. I suppose that will be the next question. I'll have to see if I can get latency down to the same range that I have with a RayDat setup using a stock on-board gigabit controller. (Hopefully, as I use good components on all my builds).
Old 2 weeks ago
TLS
Gear Maniac

If this works as advertised it could be a game changer - Ip Audio Pro project
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
If this works as advertised it could be a game changer - Ip Audio Pro project
Wow. No kidding, it would be. I will watch that for a bit, thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search