The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Motu thunderbolt audio device?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Head
 

What Motu thunderbolt audio device?

HI,
I am going to buy finally a new MOTU audio interface and I am in doubt between the:
- MOTU 828es - first choice, it has everything I need maybe even too much... but it has only two preamps so if I need to record voice electric guitar an bass I need and external pre-amp...
- MOTU 624 AVB it has two guitar line input and two mic (but the guitar input are just hi-Z inputs?..) it is portable less expensive but has less line in and out.. but it could be enough for me.. maybe it is a good option..
- MOTU 8 Pre-es a lot of preamps that maybe I don't need...and it is the most expensive....

I would go for the first one (828es) but I wanted to have your wise opinion before doing the deal...
Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2
Gear Head
 

Nobody has a suggestion?
I would really appreciate..
Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Nut
 

If you add in the cost of a pre-amp or DI box like the Radial J+4 then the 828es isn’t cheaper than the 8pre-es. It sounds like the 624 would suffice for you for now, you could add an ADAT like an Octopre down the road if you find yourself needing more inputs.

It’s a matter of how much you want to spend now, based on your current needs and any speculation as to future adds.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by maio996 View Post
HI,
I am going to buy finally a new MOTU audio interface and I am in doubt between the:
- MOTU 828es - first choice, it has everything I need maybe even too much... but it has only two preamps so if I need to record voice electric guitar an bass I need and external pre-amp...
- MOTU 624 AVB it has two guitar line input and two mic (but the guitar input are just hi-Z inputs?..) it is portable less expensive but has less line in and out.. but it could be enough for me.. maybe it is a good option..
- MOTU 8 Pre-es a lot of preamps that maybe I don't need...and it is the most expensive....

I would go for the first one (828es) but I wanted to have your wise opinion before doing the deal...
Thanks!
My wise opinion is to Go with the one that best fits your needs and workflow and something that you can grow into.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKahuna View Post
If you add in the cost of a pre-amp or DI box like the Radial J+4 then the 828es isn’t cheaper than the 8pre-es. It sounds like the 624 would suffice for you for now, you could add an ADAT like an Octopre down the road if you find yourself needing more inputs.

It’s a matter of how much you want to spend now, based on your current needs and any speculation as to future adds.
Thank you! I have a redial passive DI and a Direct Drive, moreover I could use my presonus firebox preamp as standalone... so I think it would be better to choose the 828es...
In any case I can think to expand it with external preamps in the future, that would be a waste in case of the 8pre...
Old 2 weeks ago
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
My wise opinion is to Go with the one that best fits your needs and workflow and something that you can grow into.
So I think it would be the 828es... thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #7
Gear Maniac
I wouldn’t mind hijacking just a tad.

My ancient (2010) MacBook Pro finally ate it and I just replaced with a 2015. But it seems that technology has passed me by and FireWire isn’t a thing anymore...but Thunderbolt is. That means my Motu Ultralight MK3 is useless. I could find an adapter if I was less slutzy.

Is the Motu 624 at least equivalent? It looks like is has better DSP options and I never needed all 8 ins/outs of the UL MK3. I’d like to stay with Motu since I like and will be mounting next to my Micro Express with the joining pieces. Though I’d be interested in hearing other options since I’m blowing cash like a strip club patron.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #8
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JehuJava View Post
Is the Motu 624 at least equivalent? It looks like is has better DSP options and I never needed all 8 ins/outs of the UL MK3. I’d like to stay with Motu since I like and will be mounting next to my Micro Express with the joining pieces. Though I’d be interested in hearing other options since I’m blowing cash like a strip club patron.
This is also my concern.. it seems that th 624 has got all I need apart the MIDI ports that the 828es has..
I am not sure if the internal engine and latency are the same in 624 and 828es but if there are no relevant differences I think the 624 would be a more cautious choice than the 828es....

But the Guitar input are just Hi-Z input as if I had a DI box? No preamps?...
Old 2 weeks ago
  #9
Gear Maniac
I sprung for the $30 thunderbolt to FireWire adapter. No bueno. Darn it. Looks like it’s $700 for a 624.

Funny, I went to target to look for this adapter. No FireWire anything for miles. Ya know what dumb adapter they did have? The 1/8” audio to cassette tape. Seriously? You have an adapter for, what, four media types ago (BT, usb, aux, cd, then cassette)...from the 1990’s!?! But no FireWire? How is it that FireWire just vanished?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump