The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2nd monitor for 2017 iMac
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2nd monitor for 2017 iMac

a little bit at my wits end here... trying to get a 2nd monitor to work with my 2017 iMac:

- i am trying to find a small (16") screen to use as a second monitor. what ended up being almost perfect were the flat, USB powered monitors such as the Asus MB169. however, the problem with two USB monitors i've tried is the monitor constantly blinks on and off... and, the reason i'm posting here on gearslutz, is because it only does it when i'm running audio apps (pro tools and wavelab, specifically). maybe it has something to do with the USB bus trying to stream audio and video signal at the same time.

- today i also tried some cheap HDMI monitor, to the mac's USB-C port, but as it turns out, according to the manufacturer website, the monitor is only mac compatible over VGA..

so.. onto my question... i can't be the only person in the audio world wanting to run a 2nd monitor from their 2017 (or relatively "new") iMac... i've tried 3 monitors so far and none of them have worked well. i've watched videos on how to hook up 2nd monitors but if my problem lies in some sort of audio application incompatibility, well, the videos haven't mentioned something that specific.

so what are the solutions out there? how are you doing it?

help, please!!! thanks!

Last edited by t_d; 2 weeks ago at 02:59 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Don't know if this is of help, but I'm using this on my 2019 iMac:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The hdmi connects to my 4k external monitor. Works well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search