The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is it possible to set my win10 apps to 96khz default? for playing spotify/chrome?
Old 2 weeks ago
Is it possible to set my win10 apps to 96khz default? for playing spotify/chrome?

Hi,

using windows 10.

use to reference with chrome/spotify a lot when producing. So there is a lot of switching in between. But from my experience everything not 44khz or 48khz will make both apps stop playing.

Is there a bridge app or something I can use?

thank you in advance.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Which audio drivers are you using?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Hi,

as asked by Ishkash, there can be different behavior among drivers/vendors of audio interfaces.

Some drivers (like RME) recreate WDM audio devices upon sample rate change (eg. remove and create again with different parameters). Some don't do that, but mutes audio from WDM apps, until you set the WDM to same rate (via Windows Sound control panel) as ASIO device in DAW.
In general if you're doing sample rate switch like in case of opening 96k project in DAW, the other generic application (like web browser or Spotify) shouldn't access and play audio to the interface.

What you can certainly try, is to open Windows Sound control panel (find sound in stat menu and open legacy dialog for setup Windows playback devices), locate your WDM playback device, double click that, switch to advanced tab and uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control to this device".
Then if you switch your DAW to 96k, then verify in the same dialog, that this rate change was also applied to WDM device.
If yes, then audio should be playing also from other generic applications along your DAW. Of course, in that case audio from those will be resampled in real-time by Windows to match the actual device sample rate.

Michal

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search