The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do clicks caused by digital clock problems look in waveforms?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How do clicks caused by digital clock problems look in waveforms?

Hello, related to my yet unanswered question in the therad Help Needed: Switching Clicks and Pops

I wonder how clicks and pops caused by digital clocking problems would look like in the waveforms they are audible in.

I have such clicks and cannot see even the slightest trace of what I would usually think is a click or pop. Nevertheless they are clearly audible...
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I wonder how clicks and pops caused by digital clocking problems would look like in the waveforms they are audible in.
it all depends on how loud they re and it very much depends on everything else playing at that same time.
Quote:
I have such clicks and cannot see even the slightest trace of what I would usually think is a click or pop. Nevertheless they are clearly audible...
Its can be normal depending on the dynamics of everything else paying at the same time the clicks are playing.
an example, lets say you have 15 instrument paying, and you want to see the high hat peaks , you may not be able to because of everything else playing
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojaros View Post
Hello, related to my yet unanswered question in the therad Help Needed: Switching Clicks and Pops

Have you tried recording a loop back and then checked the waveform? Seems like the clicks appear on playback only if they are not visible at all on your existing audio tracks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

sometimes you can't easily see what sounds like a click or pop because some small discontinuity in the waveform can be sufficient to produce the effect. what the cause of that might be is another question. sometimes some degree of DC offset can be a cause, because the zero in a sample is no longer at zero in the systtem the sample is playing back in. so as the sample ends, its own zero + the DC offset can then make the signal jump to the real zero. and that's another type of discontinuity.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the responses. I couldn't see them even in relatively quiet situations....

I post a typical exeample (it often comes as a tightly spaced pair of clicks, though not always). Here between 22s-23s...

I have never done loop recording. Never needed to.
How does that go?
Attached Files

Clickfile.wav (5.49 MB, 85 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I see the signal discontinuity easy enough in Reaper. I should think it would be clear in most waveform interfaces. but in any case, this is the first couple of signal issues. you might want to try changing your buffer size and see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
How do clicks caused by digital clock problems look in waveforms?-clickfile.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
These would be easy to fix in ProTools with the pencil tool, probably other software has similar tools.
Attached Thumbnails
How do clicks caused by digital clock problems look in waveforms?-capture.png  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
I see the signal discontinuity easy enough in Reaper. I should think it would be clear in most waveform interfaces. but in any case, this is the first couple of signal issues. you might want to try changing your buffer size and see what happens.
Thanks for the analysis!

OK, I might be too inexperienced to looka after these small symptoms, as I never encountered these problems before. Also I didn't change the buffer size before it happened. Should I try to increase the size?

I'm recording to Protools 12 Native via Antelope Zen Studio Interface at 96/24; my buffer size is 256 Samples ... maybe too little?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojaros View Post
Thanks for the analysis!

OK, I might be too inexperienced to looka after these small symptoms, as I never encountered these problems before. Also I didn't change the buffer size before it happened. Should I try to increase the size?

I'm recording to Protools 12 Native via Antelope Zen Studio Interface at 96/24; my buffer size is 256 Samples ... maybe too little?
do you hear the problem in either of those two instruments recordings ? independently of one another.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

First thing I do is fully amplify the waveform for visibilty sake, then
zoom in deep to the area of the pop, place the cursor a ways before the pop,
and play at very very very slow speed, watch to see where
the flaw is, zoom in as needed, and when located, redraw or delete the bad part.

At 23:646 in audacity, is an easy area to mend. Another one
that sounded like a 'scritch', was a series of crowned waves,
flat at the top, when zoomed deeply, and visually un-natural in the surroundings.
Tedious, but not impossible to redraw, sometimes deleting
such an area, and stitching the cut with the pencil is fine,
saving time, rand reducing stress. The better the song,
the less a 'human feel' added by missing a fraction of time matters.
Lastly, re-amplify as desired.
Cheers
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Every clocking-error tick I've ever seen on a DAW timeline has been full-level and one sample in duration. There might be a batch of them in a short period of time, but they've all been full-blast and a sample long.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search