The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Motu Traveler MK3 Cuemix ADAT Head Scratcher
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Motu Traveler MK3 Cuemix ADAT Head Scratcher

Hi, i am at a dead end trying to set up a Behringer ADA 8200 with my Motu Traveler MK3. I can't see on the internet a clear guide to setting this or similar up, only one using a second Traveler (or equivalent) as an optical converter.

I just want to add the 8 ADA 8200 inputs to my Traveler via ADAT optical for additional inputs, i can't work out in the Cumix software how this is done. I have a signal coming in on the 8200. Computer is a Mac Pro

Hope someone can help!

Cheers
Tim
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
That should be pretty simple to do.

First of all, I'd connect both optical input and output to the converter (eg. two cables to either A or B bank at MOTU), because although you don't necessarily need analog outputs from ADA8200, ADAT signal from main unit can be used for clocking.
I'd set ADA8200 sync mode to slave from ADAT using sliding switch at its back.
Alternatively you can also use wordclock signal from MOTU for converter syncing, in that case one additional BNC cable connection from MOTU WC output to ADA8200 needs to be made and the switch position will be at WC-IN.

In computer I'd open MOTU audio setup app.. There you need to set working sample rate (44.1 or 48k), clock source to internal (MOTU its the clock master, ADA will follow that as a slave). Also both optical input and output in respective bank (A or B, depending where you connected it) needs to be set to 8ch ADAT optical format.
ADA8200 has lock LED near its power swich, which should lit and indicate, that clocking and synchronization is right.

That's basically it. Inputs from the converter should be available in your DAW.. at channels 17-24 for bank A or 25-32 for bank B.

You've mentioned CueMix FX, but that's only necessary to mess up with for low latency hardware mixes or when you would like to print effects from there (like EQs at inputs tab) to recorded audio. Anyway its control isn't any different for signals from analog inputs right at Traveler (like for mic pres there) or signals coming from external converter.. operation is exactly the same, only those signals from external converter appears there at respective ADAT channels in the mixer.

Michal
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Oh mate i can't tell you how happy you've just made me!! ;D Sync on the ADA8200 was not set to slave from ADAT!! Boom... done and all working perfectly.

Thank you so much!!

Tim
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimWolf View Post
Oh mate i can't tell you how happy you've just made me!! ;D Sync on the ADA8200 was not set to slave from ADAT!! Boom... done and all working perfectly.

Thank you so much!!

Tim
Hi Tim, you're welcome. I'm glad, it's up and running

Good luck with recording!

Michal
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search