The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BOOM New 16” MacBook Pro 8TB SSD!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

BOOM New 16” MacBook Pro 8TB SSD!

https://www.apple.com/au/macbook-pro-16/
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Looks better... still am indifferent about a ssd that can't be swapped out or upgraded later...

At least its got a usable keyboard. But that's not really saying much...

Starting price is crazy. I know I know similar PC loadouts are about that high too. But even with inflation thats gotta be way higher than when I got my 2012 macbook pro...

IDK think Ill be cashing out to windows whenever my 2012 cant hack it anymore
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm seriously considering this one. Been using a hackintosh for the past 3 years and need something more mobile. Would be willing to switch to Windows, but that would also be annoying, and I haven't found a windows laptop that seems 100% stable (at least according to YouTube reviewers, most of whom don't even do audio production).
Old 4 weeks ago
TNM
Lives for gear
This is an amazing laptop in every way and the best thing apple have ever done on the notebook scene.

There's only 3 complaints I can think of - Catalina a requirement, no SD slot/only USBC that need more spacing, and the cooling could have been improved even further.. but, at least they got 12 more watts of power cooling headroom in there...

On board speakers and mic are the best of any laptop, period. Mic can be used for final podcast, speakers good enough to enjoy movies and music now.

Keyboard has been fixed, physical escape key back.

8 core processors, up to 64GB ram.

Finally a video card option with 8GB ram that can be used for real gaming.. Around a 1660TI (the 5300M is more a 1650).
That means high settings in full HD gaming for the first time on a MacBook ever.
Older games will run 60 FPS+ at full retina res (overwatch for example).
Bootcamp is always an option when you want some windows.
The only laptop in the world with 4 thunderbolt 3 ports.
They fixed all the complaints.

Because of Catalina, and because my MacBook was old, I succumbed and bought the 2.3ghz 8 core, Vega 20, 32GB ram, 2TB SSD last week.

I am returning it.. I can get the same spec now, 2.3 8 core, 2TB ssd, 32Gb ram, BUT, with an 8GB ATI 5500M for FOUR HUNDRED$ cheaper (AU dollars) than mine was!
In fact, I'll make it 64GB ram and sell my iMac pro. Finally just the one computer for everything.

I have been testing bootcamp on my current model, which has Mojave 10.14.6 installed.. Windows 10 pro.. the DPC latency is in the Green (I was surprised too) without any tweaks and it works great.. The new one will hopefully just be better. I only installed bootcamp to game to be honest.

So because I plan to ditch my iMac pro, I may go full tilt. the 9980HK 2.4ghz 8 core, 64GB ram, 4TB SSD, 8GB 5500M.. 6800 AUD.. so I'll return mine, and pay an extra 800 AUD and get a far superior 16" MacBook with better screen, better keyboard, better cooling, better graphics.

With the money from the iMac pro I will buy a decent 1440P screen for say $500 and pocket the rest.. when I move the laptop to the studio, I'll dock it with the thunderbolt dock, have two screens for DAW production and also play games.

it's a no brainer for me and I struggled to find a brand name cheaper laptop than an apple.. Not with 32GB ram, 8 core processor and a 2Tb ssd like mine has. I paid 5946 with a 5% discount (was 6259 retail) and looked at every windows laptop I could find with an 8 core, hi res screen, decent graphics, 32Gb ram, 2TB SSD..
The only place windows laptops win are the hardcore graphics for gaming available.. really.. but they are windows only, almost all of them...

Anyway let me give you an example.. A laptop with known acceptable DPC latency...
the lenovo Y740

4.5K with just a 1Tb ssd, 2060 graphics, 32GB ram but just a 6 core 9750H (which don't have the TSX instructions).
So yes, it was 1400 less, but I have a 2TB 3 GB/S ssd and an 8 core processor. That sounds about on par with what it would cost with the same. The 2060 is better for games, sure, but the gap is finally closing with the new 16".. oh, and the Lenovo only has a HD screen with 300 nits.

Dell work out more expensive in many cases, ridiculously so.. and make it really hard just to find one where they let you choose HDD size or 32GB ram.
They ALL have terrible DPC latency (same with HP omen).

There is metabox in Australia with clevo shells and all pass DPC latency. That's the brand that is cheaper than apple.. 5K for the 8 core, 32GB ram, 2TB SSD, win 10 pro.. It has an Nvidia 2070 NON max Q so is also a serious gaming laptop. This is specced with the 4K screen.. They don't have a 3K one to directly compare.
But the point is, the gap is closing.. and I can't find a single review of the prime V online. It also has ONE thunderbolt port. We have to remember the MacBooks have four and it IS a big deal.

Then we go to pro audio builders.. every one I did a config for ends up being on par or more expensive than apple..
yet on mine and my coming 16", I can run osx or windows, my choice at boot up..

Apple have restored my faith with this release, it's like they listened for the first time in ages.. the imac pro was the first sign of this and they have again not disappointed.

I guess I finally have to give up all my 32 bit steam games and play them in windows, and give up those last few loved 32 bit vst/au plugins I am hanging on to. But if I keep my current MacBook I will feel foolish when the new one is cheaper and faster in every way, with a better screen and keyboard. Just that damn Catalina!
Old 4 weeks ago
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
This is an amazing laptop in every way and the best thing apple have ever done on the notebook scene.

[...]

Apple have restored my faith with this release, it's like they listened for the first time in ages.. the imac pro was the first sign of this and they have again not disappointed.
I agree this bodes well for the future of Apple's commitment to pro users. This article describes how their new Pro Workflow Team is addressing the needs of creatives and technologists across their product range:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19...s-project-lead

I'm watching for a possible Mini refresh and certainly looking forward to the NMP launch.

Sky
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

64gb , 8 tb !

Yeah, thank you Apple.

Just ordered mine in the biggest configuration.
I think, the price is fair. You get a monster Maschine for big ITB Sessions.
No need to travel with extra Harddrives anymore because of 8TB SSD.

And a bigger Screen now....

It made my day
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Yes, I do agree that it is refreshing that Apple finnally seems to be focus on creatives again. This does seem like a big step in the right direction. Im just sour grapes about:

a non-removable m.2 ssd (this should be a very simple thing to include.....)

Still not into that touch bar at the top but whatever I can overlook that.

Finally, The very very high starting price point, which yeah.. I get it its a loaded machine. But if they stay committed in the future there might be a $1600-2000 dollar option that would be workable in the next year or so. Which is a more reasonable starting price point IMHO.

I do agree tho its a good starting place and I hope they continue with this trend, esp not fetishizing slim form factors in what should be a mobile workstation computer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I am personally going to wait for the 10th Gen Ice Lake CPU's to become available so hopefully between March and July 2020 we will see an updated 16 inch MacBook Pro. Also by then most Apps, Plugins, VI's etc will be fully supported with MacOS Catalina.

Getting the 16 inch MacBook Pro now will cause more potential problems with compatibility and most likely lots of frustration.
Old 4 weeks ago
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
I am personally going to wait for the 10th Gen Ice Lake CPU's to become available so hopefully between March and July 2020 we will see an updated 16 inch MacBook Pro. Also by then most Apps, Plugins, VI's etc will be fully supported with MacOS Catalina.

Getting the 16 inch MacBook Pro now will cause more potential problems with compatibility and most likely lots of frustration.
they are all low power chips, even the coming ones.. 4 cores.. with ONE 6 core 1.1 ghz base clock variant.. I would not be thinking of ice lake.. If anything, they will go in the 13" revision.. They will not go in the 16".. If they were going to use those 15/25 watt chips, they would not have updated the cooling either
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
they are all low power chips, even the coming ones.. 4 cores.. with ONE 6 core 1.1 ghz base clock variant.. I would not be thinking of ice lake.. If anything, they will go in the 13" revision.. They will not go in the 16".. If they were going to use those 15/25 watt chips, they would not have updated the cooling either
Yes at the moment they are. However no doubt in my mind Intel will have Ice Lake or better CPU’s for the 16 inch MacBook Pro next year.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

oh hey Ive been a little out of the loop. Is the T2 / usb interface bug fixed yet? Should these newer models be considered safe to use with external usb interface?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lossleader View Post
oh hey Ive been a little out of the loop. Is the T2 / usb interface bug fixed yet? Should these newer models be considered safe to use with external usb interface?
Can you explain? I wasn't aware there were known issues, but I've also been out of the loop.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lossleader View Post
That issue was fixed in 10.14.4 or 10.14.5.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Cool. Thnx
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Lets see if it has the bluetooth/wifi/usb3 issues of the Mac Mini..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by derdiedasscheusa View Post
Lets see if it has the bluetooth/wifi/usb3 issues of the Mac Mini..
What issues are you referring to? I have a Mac mini 2018 and don't have any issues relating to what you have mentioned.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
What issues are you referring to? I have a Mac mini 2018 and don't have any issues relating to what you have mentioned.
It‘s a well known problem. Just google for Mac Mini bluetooth issues.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ssues.2157086/

The „fix“ is to use a bluetooth dongle instead of the built in one ?

Besides that I really hope for an updated and fixed Mini with i9 8 core + dedicated gpu now.

If this doesnt happen then a NUC 9 hackintosh will be the way to go.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
It‘s a well known problem. Just google for Mac Mini bluetooth issues.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ssues.2157086/

The „fix“ is to use a bluetooth dongle instead of the built in one ?

Besides that I really hope for an updated and fixed Mini with i9 8 core + dedicated gpu now.

If this doesnt happen then a NUC 9 hackintosh will be the way to go.
The Bluetooth issue was reported a year ago. If it was a known issue I am sure it has been addressed already. I use a Magic Trackpad 2 via Bluetooth with my Mac mini and have no issues.

I was expecting to see an 8 Core i9 Mac mini this year as it made complete sense but maybe Apple didn't view it as enough of an upgrade. Hopefully we will see an updated Mac mini next year.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
The Bluetooth issue was reported a year ago. If it was a known issue I am sure it has been addressed already. I use a Magic Trackpad 2 via Bluetooth with my Mac mini and have no issues.

I was expecting to see an 8 Core i9 Mac mini this year as it made complete sense but maybe Apple didn't view it as enough of an upgrade. Hopefully we will see an updated Mac mini next year.
As far as I understood the moment you plug in a USB3 stick and start transfering data, the bluetooth gets janky. Have you tried it? You could be lucky but there were hundreds of users with those problems. Either way, I want to see the first real world tests and I am curious if any "gates" occur in the longer run.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikelets View Post
In the US the price with upgrades (32 GB Ram, 8GB Video, 4 TB SSD) is about $4300 USD. Why would someone want a 8 TB SSD? The USB C ports are nearly equally as fast - and certainly equal when it comes to audio - and a External 4tb SSD runs only about $700 USD versus the $1200 apple wants. Plus you can fill up the external and buy a new one where as the Apple SSD is soldered inside. Once it's full it's full.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm interested in the MBP 16, but I can't go with Catalina currently. Is Mojave an option to install? I guess not..?
Old 4 weeks ago
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
As far as I understood the moment you plug in a USB3 stick and start transfering data, the bluetooth gets janky.
No such issues with a 2018 Mini here. It is 100% stable. I use Apple wireless trackpads and keyboards.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
I'm interested in the MBP 16, but I can't go with Catalina currently. Is Mojave an option to install? I guess not..?
not :-)

I'm trapped in Mojave land too. But I think I'll just keep the old system for all the stuff until now and start all the new projects on a new computer once all the 64Bit stuff runs stable on Catalina.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
No such issues with a 2018 Mini here. It is 100% stable. I use Apple wireless trackpads and keyboards.
That's good to hear! Now I hope they give us a more powerful Mini that can actually beat the 2010 Mac Pro 12 core in Track count benchmarks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
not :-)

I'm trapped in Mojave land too. But I think I'll just keep the old system for all the stuff until now and start all the new projects on a new computer once all the 64Bit stuff runs stable on Catalina.
Mmm could be a deal breaker, I need Pro Tools and even then I am on 2018.12. So I guess either the $1000 PT update, which doesn't currently include Catalina anyway or wait a while to see how the land lies.

What are you guys using for dock expansion. The OWC docks with USB, Ethernet, Thunderbolt, HDMI and even Firewrie on some look very cool.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

There's only 3 complaints I can think of - Catalina a requirement, no SD slot/only USBC that need more spacing, and the cooling could have been improved even further.. but, at least they got 12 more watts of power cooling headroom in there...

On board speakers and mic are the best of any laptop, period. Mic can be used for final podcast, speakers good enough to enjoy movies and music now.

Keyboard has been fixed, physical escape key back.

8 core processors, up to 64GB ram.

Finally a video card option with 8GB ram that can be used for real gaming.. Around a 1660TI (the 5300M is more a 1650).
That means high settings in full HD gaming for the first time on a MacBook ever.
Older games will run 60 FPS+ at full retina res (overwatch for example).
Bootcamp is always an option when you want some windows.
The only laptop in the world with 4 thunderbolt 3 ports.
They fixed all the complaints.

Because of Catalina, and because my MacBook was old, I succumbed and bought the 2.3ghz 8 core, Vega 20, 32GB ram, 2TB SSD last week.

I am returning it.. I can get the same spec now, 2.3 8 core, 2TB ssd, 32Gb ram, BUT, with an 8GB ATI 5500M for FOUR HUNDRED$ cheaper (AU dollars) than mine was!
In fact, I'll make it 64GB ram and sell my iMac pro. Finally just the one computer for everything.

I have been testing bootcamp on my current model, which has Mojave 10.14.6 installed.. Windows 10 pro.. the DPC latency is in the Green (I was surprised too) without any tweaks and it works great.. The new one will hopefully just be better. I only installed bootcamp to game to be honest.

So because I plan to ditch my iMac pro, I may go full tilt. the 9980HK 2.4ghz 8 core, 64GB ram, 4TB SSD, 8GB 5500M.. 6800 AUD.. so I'll return mine, and pay an extra 800 AUD and get a far superior 16" MacBook with better screen, better keyboard, better cooling, better graphics.

With the money from the iMac pro I will buy a decent 1440P screen for say $500 and pocket the rest.. when I move the laptop to the studio, I'll dock it with the thunderbolt dock, have two screens for DAW production and also play games.

it's a no brainer for me and I struggled to find a brand name cheaper laptop than an apple.. Not with 32GB ram, 8 core processor and a 2Tb ssd like mine has. I paid 5946 with a 5% discount (was 6259 retail) and looked at every windows laptop I could find with an 8 core, hi res screen, decent graphics, 32Gb ram, 2TB SSD..
The only place windows laptops win are the hardcore graphics for gaming available.. really.. but they are windows only, almost all of them...

Anyway let me give you an example.. A laptop with known acceptable DPC latency...
the lenovo Y740

4.5K with just a 1Tb ssd, 2060 graphics, 32GB ram but just a 6 core 9750H (which don't have the TSX instructions).
So yes, it was 1400 less, but I have a 2TB 3 GB/S ssd and an 8 core processor. That sounds about on par with what it would cost with the same. The 2060 is better for games, sure, but the gap is finally closing with the new 16".. oh, and the Lenovo only has a HD screen with 300 nits.

Dell work out more expensive in many cases, ridiculously so.. and make it really hard just to find one where they let you choose HDD size or 32GB ram.
They ALL have terrible DPC latency (same with HP omen).

There is metabox in Australia with clevo shells and all pass DPC latency. That's the brand that is cheaper than apple.. 5K for the 8 core, 32GB ram, 2TB SSD, win 10 pro.. It has an Nvidia 2070 NON max Q so is also a serious gaming laptop. This is specced with the 4K screen.. They don't have a 3K one to directly compare.
But the point is, the gap is closing.. and I can't find a single review of the prime V online. It also has ONE thunderbolt port. We have to remember the MacBooks have four and it IS a big deal.

Then we go to pro audio builders.. every one I did a config for ends up being on par or more expensive than apple..
yet on mine and my coming 16", I can run osx or windows, my choice at boot up..

I guess I finally have to give up all my 32 bit steam games and play them in windows, and give up those last few loved 32 bit vst/au plugins I am hanging on to. But if I keep my current MacBook I will feel foolish when the new one is cheaper and faster in every way, with a better screen and keyboard. Just that damn Catalina!
Another complaint...

No Ethernet jack

For audio-over-ethernet you need TWO dongles

Thunderbolt 3 to 2, Thunderbolt 2 to ethernet

That's how my Metric Halo system had to be setup
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

An thoughts on 32 vs 64 gig RAM for recording no plugins

The $400 upcharge for the 64 is hard to swallow
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
An thoughts on 32 vs 64 gig RAM for recording no plugins

The $400 upcharge for the 64 is hard to swallow
You don‘t even need 32 gigs for audio recording! I can record 8 channels of audio on a 4GB Ram 2012 MacBook. Your interface I/O and to a degree harddrive/ssd is way more important.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You don‘t even need 32 gigs for audio recording! I can record 8 channels of audio on a 4GB Ram 2012 MacBook. Your interface I/O and to a degree harddrive/ssd is way more important.
Thank you
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Another complaint...

No Ethernet jack

For audio-over-ethernet you need TWO dongles

Thunderbolt 3 to 2, Thunderbolt 2 to ethernet

That's how my Metric Halo system had to be setup
Audio over IP can run fine on generic USB-C<>ethernet connectors.

There might be individual interfaces that cause problems, but no problems here thusfar (for dante)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search