The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BOOM New 16” MacBook Pro 8TB SSD!
Old 19th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazbot View Post
Apologies, yes my model is the i7 2.6 baseline with 16GB and the 512GB drive. Great machine, just the issue with the fans. Just annoyed that I have to install 3rd party software similar to what I used to with my old 2012 machine. I think they should give you the option to choose which card you want to use.but hey ho.
Do you also use an external display? I read that with an external you’re forced to use the discrete GPU no matter what, which kind of slashed my hopes of getting my setup running quieter.

I also noticed something disturbing the other day. I accidentally left my Studio One project open and upon returning the next day the fans were still soaring! The laptop was super hot. So just leaving an idle session running was taxing the system endlessly and not allowing it to sleep!

Upon further investigation I saw that “prevent sleep” said “yes” beside studio one in the activity monitor. I have no idea why any app should be able to, or be required to do that.
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Maniac

A couple strange audio issues yesterday with my 2.4/32 16" MBP. Things have been going pretty smooth up until now. Right up until I'm out of my 14 day return window

In Logic, I was starting a new session, just messing with an idea on guitar and bass with a drummer track to get started, and suddenly I was getting system overload errors every time I tried to record or even playback. I only had 3 tracks, maybe 2-3 plugins, was going through my 6176 and using scuffham on the guitar track. Stuff my 2011 13" handled without a hiccup. The overload message kept saying to check the process buffer settings, I did, it was set to medium. I changed it to large and the problem seemed to go away. What do you guys keep your process buffer set to? Does this affect latency? I've read conflicting things about whether it does. The I/O buffer was set to 128 and then I tried 256 before I changed the process buffer... I was testing out recording at 96k for the first time, I should also mention. I usually do 48k. But the way it kept overloading on playback of 3 little tracks tells me there was something else going on.

One thing I noticed that was strange, when I tried to preview/playback a bounced mp3 from finder while my Apollo was still connected, it played through the laptop speakers. I went into sound settings and output was still set to the speakers and not Apollo, while input was set to Apollo. I made sure both were set to Apollo, switched off Apollo and back on again to see if it stuck, and it did. I'll keep an eye on that. Think this could be causing any issues - having the system set to output to speakers while logic is set to output through Apollo? Seems like a glitch that shouldn't happen on its own right? If I plug in the Apollo and input automatically changes to Apollo, shouldn't output do the same?

And then the weirdest thing of all happened this morning when I went to listen to a bounced MP3 from last night. I swore it was sped up - sounded like 1.5 speed. I checked a couple other bounces I had there in the same folder, I had wanted to compare a couple mixes in my car so I had 3 bounces from the same song there. All three were playing back at the same speed, and it sounded definitely sped up to me, both in tempo and pitch. I thought I was going crazy. So I opened the logic session and played it back - and then it comes through at normal speed, lower pitch and tempo, confirming that I was hearing the tracks sped up before. I quit logic and went back to my finder window with the bounces, and now they were all playing back at normal speed too. Ok so this must be some glitch with regards to the playback sample rate for those files in finder, right? anyone know what was going on here?
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

got my replacement MacBook Pro 16", but no improvement

Hi Everyone....

I finally got my new replacement Mac but the problems with the Fan and the heat is still the same. Sad but true....

I tried first with my timemaschine Backup from my first MBP that I got in the beginning of December. Same Problem. (it was a fresh installation without importing my old stuff)

Then I did a clean fresh install...... also no improvement

so I gave up an I must live with it. Turboboost and an external eGPU helps a little Bit and I hope for the next Software update. May there will be an improvement.
TurboBoost helps when you're working with small sessions
This MBP is a killer Maschine from the power but I must say , Apple did a bad job in my experience.
I also tried with disabling background software etc.

Have to live with it, because I have no choice.
I have placed the MBP inside a silent Rack in my Homestudio now. In my big Studio I don't need it, it is placed in my old Maschine Room.
Like someone here suggested, when I am the road and need to record Vocals orGuitars via the Mic near to my Laptop, I will print a 2 Track like I did 15 years ago and record into that session.

have a nice week

Mathias
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Maniac

For me fan noise doesn’t seem to be a problem. Now the area above the touch bar does get hot to the touch... but it appears the cpu cores and everything else are within normal operating temps and the fans generally stay at or below 2000rpm which is pretty quiet to me. They do spin up pretty loud if I try to do one of the Logic benchmark tests that loads the cpu up to the max, but I haven’t had anything like that happen on my normal sessions. How fast are your fans spinning when it’s loud enough to be a problem for you? I wonder if I’d be having the same problem if my sessions had more tracks/plugins
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino beano View Post
How fast are your fans spinning when it’s loud enough to be a problem for you? I wonder if I’d be having the same problem if my sessions had more tracks/plugins
Around 4000 and more is often the speed of the Fan while working in ProTools
Old 20th January 2020
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lematrix View Post
Around 4000 and more is often the speed of the Fan while working in ProTools
This utility helps to disable turbo boost which keeps the computer running cool and fans at 1800rpm when silence is of utmost importance. I've been running the free version but will upgrade to pro soon since it's so useful. I'm not seeing a performance hit with turbo boost disabled in regular day to day use. It's easy enough to toggle on/off if you need the extra performance.

http://tbswitcher.rugarciap.com/

D
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Maniac

They’re saying that Apple is adding the turbo boost switching functionality to Catalina with one of the coming updates, I’m hoping that’s true
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

Yeah I’m using that too.
My Cubase sessions will get the fans spinning (not to 4000 though) even though it’s only at about 25% CPU use.

With turbo boost off I’ve still got plenty of juice left and continued silence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
This utility helps to disable turbo boost which keeps the computer running cool and fans at 1800rpm when silence is of utmost importance. I've been running the free version but will upgrade to pro soon since it's so useful. I'm not seeing a performance hit with turbo boost disabled in regular day to day use. It's easy enough to toggle on/off if you need the extra performance.

http://tbswitcher.rugarciap.com/

D
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
They’re saying that Apple is adding the turbo boost switching functionality to Catalina with one of the coming updates, I’m hoping that’s true
Do we know this now as a clarification of what 'Pro mode' might mean? As far as I knew we didn't know yet what exactly Apple meant by this; whether it means switching turbo on or off, or letting the fans run louder to reduce thermal limitations...

I hope it's not as simple as disabling turbo boost. That would make the way it runs now the 'Pro' mode. Which I don't mind, mine is crazy powerful and solid. I'm just hoping for even better performance on top of that
Old 20th January 2020
Oop
Gear Addict

Ok, so I've spent a bit more time running sessions with TurboBoost switched off and for me, the fans eventually still ramped up, although much lesser than with TB switched on.

Now, disabling dGPU is what made a huge difference for me. Running a bunch of heavy plugins with around 20-25% CPU usage and fans are still at 1800rpm (dead silent) with temps around 60C.

I'll be testing this with one of my mix sessions tomorrow with heavier usage.

TB and dGPU disabled is working well for me. No performance hit. Unfortunately, if I ever need to connect an external display, dGPU can't be bypassed.

I hope this changes?! The MacMini drives 2 of my displays fine with it's integrated GPU.
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

I am using the Turbo Boost App
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJoe View Post
Do we know this now as a clarification of what 'Pro mode' might mean? As far as I knew we didn't know yet what exactly Apple meant by this; whether it means switching turbo on or off, or letting the fans run louder to reduce thermal limitations...

I hope it's not as simple as disabling turbo boost. That would make the way it runs now the 'Pro' mode. Which I don't mind, mine is crazy powerful and solid. I'm just hoping for even better performance on top of that
You’re right, sorry, that’s not what the new functionality is supposed to be, but I thought I remembered reading that in addition to a pro mode (louder fans?) there might be an option to disable turbo boost. Now I don’t even know if I read that or imagined it.
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

FYI from the Apple Support Communities

This is a good post of a pro user with the same Problem like me on the official Apple Forum, and there a lot like him.

Lets pray for Software Updates and that Apple is hearing us. I talked to an Apple Engineer today and he sad he will take care of it. Whatever it means !!! haha
Attached Thumbnails
BOOM New 16” MacBook Pro 8TB SSD!-bildschirmfoto-2020-01-21-um-18.24.10.png  
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
One thing I noticed that was strange, when I tried to preview/playback a bounced mp3 from finder while my Apollo was still connected, it played through the laptop speakers. I went into sound settings and output was still set to the speakers and not Apollo, while input was set to Apollo. I made sure both were set to Apollo, switched off Apollo and back on again to see if it stuck, and it did. I'll keep an eye on that. Think this could be causing any issues - having the system set to output to speakers while logic is set to output through Apollo? Seems like a glitch that shouldn't happen on its own right? If I plug in the Apollo and input automatically changes to Apollo, shouldn't output do the same?
Not necessarily. If you've used the Apollo for system output previously, macOS is usually pretty smart about remembering to switch to it when you plug it in, but thats not a guarantee. I think it's pretty normal that from time to time you might have to tell it to switch to it.

I've also been having some glitches with my Apollo, which I attribute to UAD still testing all their software with Catalina and needing to fix a few more bugs. Every issue I've had has been fixed with restarting the Apollo or double checking settings in Console, the DAW, or macOS.

Quote:
And then the weirdest thing of all happened this morning when I went to listen to a bounced MP3 from last night. I swore it was sped up - sounded like 1.5 speed. I checked a couple other bounces I had there in the same folder, I had wanted to compare a couple mixes in my car so I had 3 bounces from the same song there. All three were playing back at the same speed, and it sounded definitely sped up to me, both in tempo and pitch. I thought I was going crazy. So I opened the logic session and played it back - and then it comes through at normal speed, lower pitch and tempo, confirming that I was hearing the tracks sped up before. I quit logic and went back to my finder window with the bounces, and now they were all playing back at normal speed too. Ok so this must be some glitch with regards to the playback sample rate for those files in finder, right? anyone know what was going on here?
What sample rate is your session in? And were you using the Apollo during this whole thing, or just the internal speakers with the core audio?

It sounds like a classic case of sample rate not being set correctly. Most likely, if you were hearing it sped up, the system sample rate was at 48 kHz when you first played them in Finder. Then when you booted up Logic, it set the system sample rate back to 44.1 kHz, and everything sounded fine again.

Use AudioMIDI setup to see what sample rate your system is set to if you have that issue again. I'm willing to bet it wasn't at 44.1 kHz. Have you ever gone in and changed it manually to 48 kHz?
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Maniac

I usually set logic to 48k but that day I had tried starting a project in 96k to see how it went. Maybe that’s why things got weird. I’ve never checked the system sample rate with audiomidi setup. I’ll take a look at that. Thanks

I do think things are a bit buggy compared to my old MacBook running on high Sierra. It seemed so stable. Really hoping it all smooths out with some software updates, soon. But it’s not all bad at all, great computer, just these random glitches, a couple cpu overloads for no reason, but I’m sure it will be just as rock solid after a few updates...right?? Hoping they do something about that weird external monitor power draw/heat thing too.
Old 22nd January 2020
USB monitor ?

I wonder if has anyone tried the USB monitor options (though the largest just 17") and if would those also use the dedicated GPU and heat up.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7blanche View Post
I wonder if has anyone tried the USB monitor options (though the largest just 17") and if would those also use the dedicated GPU and heat up.
I am running the MBP with an external eGPU
Nearly the same issue

When I hit around 40% if CPU the fans stay around 5500 and i also need zu turn on Turboboost. If I don’t turn on TB i get often errors even with 1024 Buffer
Old 22nd January 2020
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
A couple strange audio issues yesterday with my 2.4/32 16" MBP. Things have been going pretty smooth up until now. Right up until I'm out of my 14 day return window
I've actually seen all of the issues you described on the 2018 MBP in one form or another. If you haven't seen the article below you should.

Apple Investigating 16-Inch MacBook Pro Popping Sound Issue, Fix Planned in Future Software Updates

Without going into rant mode, the MBP has had serious audio issues for over a year now and it appears they've been ported to the new machine... (The issues shown in that video are identical to issues I've seen since late Nov 2018.)

Quote:
One thing I noticed that was strange, when I tried to preview/playback a bounced mp3 from finder while my Apollo was still connected, it played through the laptop speakers. I went into sound settings and output was still set to the speakers and not Apollo, while input was set to Apollo. I made sure both were set to Apollo, switched off Apollo and back on again to see if it stuck, and it did. I'll keep an eye on that. Think this could be causing any issues - having the system set to output to speakers while logic is set to output through Apollo?
Finder Audio Playing Out of the Speakers, DAW Audio playing out of and External Device or the Cans:

Unfortunately this is a "feature not a bug" situation. Apple's obsession with security lead to some weird choices in how the the T2 allows the OS to handle audio devices.

If you use an external device daily and don't move the machine around it's not a huge deal. (Hell you'd probably never notice it after you set it the 1st time.) If you use your machine as a portable workstation and/or use the phones frequently however it's a series of headaches...

The short version is that once you unplug a device to move the machine, (including headphones) the OS defaults back to the speakers. So basically Finder and your DAW now have discrete settings. Sure this could be an asset, I personally haven't found it to be as if you use System Wide (which I do) this becomes a real PITA.

For people using Kontakt or large templates that take a while to load this gets really messy. Logic initializes Core Audio anytime you unplug or plugin the cans. Basically Logic will unload your entire project then reload it again when you switch devices...

So for example I used to do frequent checks on the speakers just to make sure everything was popping out, now I have to wait 1 to several minutes when I switch depending on the project or template. Anyone who's owned a non-T2 MBP and used the speakers for an 'iphone check' knows this is not the norm... More obnoxioulsy, every few times you do this Logic completely loses track of the device and you have to set the audio device again. Based on what I've read over the past few pages this is in line with a few people seeing their devices disappear.

Video detailing this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr9x65je5rx9jx5/HeadphoneJack_Speaker_LogicUnloadIssue.mp4?dl=0

The obvious solution is create an aggregate right?

If you set the aggregate as your default device the touchbar no longer adjusts volume. This is fine if you have an interface hooked up, with the phones your only option is to manually switch to phones or speakers in System preferences, adjust the volume, then switch back to the aggregate. I.e. You're left with an aggregate being an unusable system-wide solution. you can set an aggregate in your DAW, but I've tried this with Logic, Reason, Live and Bitwig and YMWV from DAW to DAW.

I spent the better part of a week trying to get support to look into this and the official answer I got from Apple is 'this is the expected behavior' so I wouldn't expect this to change...

Quote:
And then the weirdest thing of all happened this morning when I went to listen to a bounced MP3 from last night. I swore it was sped up - sounded like 1.5 speed. I checked a couple other bounces I had there in the same folder, I had wanted to compare a couple mixes in my car so I had 3 bounces from the same song there. All three were playing back at the same speed, and it sounded definitely sped up to me, both in tempo and pitch.
Sped Up Audio:

The 'sped up playback' showed up for me the same day a bunch of other the audio issues kicked off on my 2018 MBP. And it showed up in the same exact way; previewing an audio file from Finder. I also saw it happen while watching video.

The playback speed issue happened in tandem with weird messages I'd see in Logic that 'an external audio device' had changed Logic's sample rate. But wait for it... I didn't have an external device hooked up.
See the screenshots... (More importantly: look at those sample rates.)

I'm aware of the obvious follow up... Maybe it was related to System Wide?

No becuase:
  • I uninstalled Systemwide briefly and the issue continued.
  • I setup a test account per Apple support instructions and the behavior showed up on the test account. I.e. there were no additional devices, including System Wide.

The "speed up" actually makes sense if you look at the error, Logic 8 used to work this way by default.. Playing back something recorded at a different sample rate would result in audio sounding sped up or slowed down if you didn't convert if or change the project settings.

So something in the OS or machine appears to randomly interfere with the sample rate. (Ahem, T2 chip. Read the White Paper if you already haven't.)

All I can say is the T2 model MacBook Pros have had various audio issues since day one. 1 1/2 years later and many of the same issues exist, so my experience is Apple's not in a hurry to fix them. I personally regret not returning mine within the window but that's just me.. Best of luck either way! Feel the frustration!
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveitaly View Post
i am running my MPB with a Laptop Stand for professional gamer laptops :-(
Old 23rd January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by lematrix View Post
i am running my MPB with a Laptop Stand for professional gamer laptops :-(
With fans ? What's the effect in real life ? I have aluminium basic no-fan stand, maybe 3-5 degrees cooler
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Maniac

I was using my 2011 MBP 15“ without the bottom case lid on a plastik laptop cooling pad with 4 fans for years. When I travelled 3-4 times a year I screwed the bottom case back on. This gave me way better thermals when in the studio. Give it a try and see what happens.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

so no Ram upgrade possible once you ordered a 32G model ?
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre tchmil View Post
Nothing is upgradable in this machine. All soldered.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by derdiedasscheusa View Post
Nothing is upgradable in this machine. All soldered.
Technically upgradeable if you or someone you know can confidently solder small motherboard components, and you're okay with voiding your warranty

But yes, not upgradeable in the traditional sense.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

OK that's clear.
If funds was no issue, what would you buy today?
The latest one and deal with connectivity mess, or go with a fully loaded older model ?
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
OK that's clear.
The latest one and deal with connectivity mess, or go with a fully loaded older model ?
Only you can answer that for yourself. You need ports and repairability or do you need cpu power??
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

I have no idea, never had a laptop before for serious work.
Coming from Protools on a macpro , I'm moving on with Reaper.
Yes moving, I want to be mobile in the very near future
Old 24th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK that's clear.

Quote:
I have no idea, never had a laptop before for serious work.
Coming from Protools on a macpro , I'm moving on with Reaper.
Yes moving, I want to be mobile in the very near future
Which Mac Pro and what specs are you coming from?

A fully loaded older model just won't get you the same performance as the i9 9980HK. The only one that comes close is the last 2019 15" model with that CPU. The thermal performance is about the same as the 16" and Dell XPS with the same processor. You could probably get one for a good bargain right now, if you're willing to deal with the risky butterfly keyboard for the foreseeable future (which might be worth it if you plan on using an external keyboard a lot).

I've gotten used to the dongles, if that's what you mean by connectivity mess. It's really not a big deal, imo. I also think it makes much more sense to have 4 ports that can connect to anything than dedicated ports for things. You can charge it from any of them, connect a monitor to any of them, connect your interface to any of them, etc.

I went with the 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB storage, 5500M GPU with 4 GB VRAM.

You could do fine with 32 GB of RAM, and the 5300M GPU. Bare minimum storage for running a music production rig is 512 GB, I would say, if you keep projects and sample libraries on an external drive.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Question for everyone with the 16": Are you seeing any issues with USB interfaces like on previous T2 MBPs?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search