The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lynx Aurora(n) Thunberbolt with Windows10
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Lynx Aurora(n) Thunberbolt with Windows10

Wasn't sure where to put this so mods, move as required. Thought this might save some people some hours of install issues.

Just picked up a Lynx Aurora(n) 16 and the VintageKing rep asked me if I wanted TB 2 vs 3 as an interface. I picked the 3 as I had just upgraded Motherboards and it had TB3. So just know that this is a recent option availability.

Swapping in new motherboards and processors (i9 in this case) is always an adventure and sure enough I got into trouble with the Win10 not believing I was running a legal version of the OS. The only solution according to the MS support person, was to use my Win7 disks and enter the OEM code. I updated to the free version of Win10 about 5 years ago thinking I would never need those Win7 disks again which are now located in the local landfill. The only way out of this conundrum is to pony up $199 to legalize what is actually a product you already own. This or watch the Unauthorized logo dance across the start up screen for a couple of hours, so I paid the money to make it go away. This didn't occur the prior time I upgraded my MB so Microsoft is out there now looking for new ways to annoy customers.

Installing the Aurora(n) brings up a new line in device manager where it identifies the TB device as a "core device". The product doesn't work at this point but the OS recognizes it's there. I though I would just point this entry to the Lynx drivers (latest version off the Lynx site) and all would be fine. This however blue screens windows.

It turns out you need a utility not provided by Asus, my MB manufacturer, which can be found at the Intel site. This software is called "Thunderbolt Control Center". Probably existing PCs come with this software but upgraded Motherboards may not. Once installed you have to register the TB devices with the connection scheme you desire i.e.

always recognize, only initially recognize etc. in the Intel software.

At this point you will be operational except for the following undocumented piece of information. The Lynx install driver software installs several apps i.e. Hilo control, Mixer, Uninstall as well as the driver for the Auroran(n). Although the manual says to launch the Mixer software, it doesn't work with Thunderbolt and you have to use the NControl software found at the Lynx site. That was a frustrating hour of trying to figure out why the Mixer software couldn't find the device. Lynx Support to the rescue on this one but it should have been noted in the manual or some updated sheet.

The NControl is really good software you can customize for your particular setup i.e. all in the box, hybrid channels and devices etc. Really like this interface.

There you go. It took several hours to work through the above and some frustration but all is working as advertised.

A short review: Comparing the sound to my Aurora 8....It's like a veil came off the speakers. The low end is very defined and clear and I am hearing things, both good and bad that I wasn't hearing out of the A8. More accuracy across the sound spectrum. The dual headphone channels on the unit are great for monitoring the incoming signal for troubleshooting. The workflow challenges of the Aurora 8 i.e. accidently hitting a button and then spending time trying to get the configuration back is not an issue as it's pretty much plug and go after you find that Intel software and install it.

Forgot one thing. The TB interface #2 port on my motherboard would not autosense the Aurora(n) once I turned it on an off. If the unit was on when I started Win10, not a problem. But once cycled on and off, Win10 could not find it again unless rebooted. Switching to TB #1 port on my Motherboard resolved the problem and all is stable and working correctly.

Hope this saves someone some time.

Last edited by Oldone; 4 weeks ago at 07:13 PM.. Reason: mispelling
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for this. I've been considering an Aurora (n) and would love to hear about its stability under Windows 10 once you've had it running for a while.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have run Aurora(n) 16 USB for a few years, recently upgraded PCs to a Sweetwater Creation Station with TB3.

I purchased the new TB3 card for my Aurora(n), installed it in five minutes and have been running hard for about six weeks without a single hiccup.

Literally a five minute switchover time from USB to TB3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtan View Post
Thanks for this. I've been considering an Aurora (n) and would love to hear about its stability under Windows 10 once you've had it running for a while.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
I have run Aurora(n) 16 USB for a few years, recently upgraded PCs to a Sweetwater Creation Station with TB3.

I purchased the new TB3 card for my Aurora(n), installed it in five minutes and have been running hard for about six weeks without a single hiccup.

Literally a five minute switchover time from USB to TB3.
Did the computers have the Intel control software on it? Just curious.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtan View Post
I've got about 6 hours on it so far and no hiccups. If something comes up will definitely let you know.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I will have to check tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Did the computers have the Intel control software on it? Just curious.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
I will have to check tomorrow.
Thanks but I think I got it figured out. The Intel Thunderbolt Driver was on my original CD disk that came with the motherboard. It was not part of the auto install and you have to drill into the subdirectories to find it. I decided to install it over the version I had just in case it was a more recent version. That corrupted the already installed version and there is a whole procedure for uninstalling, deleting files and getting back on track. Those PCs you got from Sweetwater likely had the utility Thunderbolt software already installed to manage the ports on the computer. All good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Intel Updater

Intel supplies a web based driver updater that works. I run it about once a month and it usually finds a NIC driver.

Just an FYI.... Update; It's called the Driver & Support Assistant.

FWIW I had a Lynx L22 that gave me some trouble. Lynx support jumped on the problem right away and fixed it. Great company to do business with.

Last edited by davet; 4 weeks ago at 06:00 PM.. Reason: new info

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search