The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audient iD4 Vs Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Audient iD4 Vs Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Which one am I better off utilizing for simply recording vocals for rap?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Bump...
Old 3 weeks ago
Interface questions go here.

As far as I'm aware, interfaces don't care too much about what music you're recording..I'd go for the one with the features you need.
Old 3 weeks ago
Audient makes great lower budget interfaces. I've bypassed my standalone preamps for the sound of the Audient's many times on all types of vocals.. Haven't used the Scarlett.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Will there be a noticeable difference?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Audient is inarguably the better box. Better pre's, better conversion. to my ears there is a noticeable difference (I moved from a 2i2 to an iD14). But also consider that your mic is going to make a more audible difference, so you might consider that if you're using a cheap mic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tried and owned both. Audient is superior
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Bump...
Old 3 weeks ago
Audient makes great preamps for their interfaces and consoles. Sold a half dozen interfaces and still have the iD14 right here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by T E C H N I C A View Post
Will there be a noticeable difference?
No. Audient are IMO the most overhyped, overrated interfaces around. They are good, but not worth the serious additional cost. You will be fine with the Scarlett, esp for just rap.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
No. Audient are IMO the most overhyped, overrated interfaces around. They are good, but not worth the serious additional cost. You will be fine with the Scarlett, esp for just rap.
"esp for just rap"? What kind of disparaging remark is that? Holy crap.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I realize it's all the rage but spare me your hypersensitive indignation. That was not a slight at rap per se. My only point is that acoustics are less demanding for rap than other genres, much like they are for voice overs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I realize it's all the rage but spare me your hypersensitive indignation. That was not a slight at rap per se. My only point is that acoustics are less demanding for rap than other genres, much like they are for voice overs.
Vocal requirements are pretty much the same across every genre. Rapping sounds boomy in a boomy room, just like singing does, and so on.

“Just” is a very abused word.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Agree to disagree...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not "hypersensitive" at all Its called "respect".
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Agree to disagree...
So you think interfaces are genre specific? It is that the mic?!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
So you think interfaces are genre specific? It is that the mic?!
? I never said or implied interfaces were genre specific and I don't know what "It is that the mic" is supposed to mean as we're talking interfaces...

When I said I agreed to disagree it was regarding your statement "Vocal requirements are pretty much the same across every genre." I disagree and doubly so when we're talking rap, because that isn't singing, that's talking. If you don't think there's a difference in recording talking and singing, there's probably little point discussing further. And since it appears people are getting in a huff about this, further discussion is probably pointless anyway. Again, agree to disagree. Moving on...
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
When I said I agreed to disagree it was regarding your statement "Vocal requirements are pretty much the same across every genre." I disagree and doubly so when we're talking rap, because that isn't singing, that's talking. If you don't think there's a difference in recording talking and singing, there's probably little point discussing further. And since it appears people are getting in a huff about this, further discussion is probably pointless anyway. Again, agree to disagree. Moving on...
You've clearly never recorded either much rap, or for that matter many voiceovers if you feel acoustics don't matter!

Sadly, I've had to record and mix many VOs for things like adverts, documentaries. I can tell you that there's a massive difference between attempting to mix a VO recorded in an untreated or poorly treated space, and one recorded properly. With the former, you end up using all manner of multiband compression and dynamic EQ, not to mention attempting to quell unwanted room sound, just to get something usable.

The proper recording requires none of that.

Likewise with rapping - a boomy recording is still difficult to mix, a decent recording isn't.

It's also not "talking"! Dynamics, flow, pitch, all very different - it's much more like recording a singer than it is a VO artist, especially when you consider the line between rap and singing is very blurred these days - some rappers half sing, some are almost screaming, some singers are rapping...think about Antony Kiedis from the Chilli Peppers, he's very much rapping in places in their songs....does that sound like a VO to you?

Even the Soundcloud "mumble rap" is more musical than a VO.

It doesn't sound like you have much respect or understanding of the genre (even "the genre" is a misnomer since there's a massive scope of what one might consider "rap", from people who are close to street poets to those rapping over metal guitars). No-one's expecting you to be a fan, but as an engineer or producer you should respect there's good and bad in any genre.

Maybe for very quiet rappers, you might have a point - Snoop Dogg style or something, where it's laid back and not particularly energetic - the room might be less important, if you're not energising it that much. But that's quite specific!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

when im on the road i use an audient id4, and i like it. for simple vocal recordings its superior for the price!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search