The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Considering a Lynx Aurora (n) anyone use one?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Considering a Lynx Aurora (n) anyone use one?

So I'm in the market for a new interface/converter and have basically narrowed it down to either the Lynx Aurora (n) 8 channel or the UA Apollo x 8 or the new Steinberg AXR4 T .

I love the ergonomics and workflow of the Apollo and the Steinberg but I'm leaning toward the Lynx for its sound quality and its modular architecture. I don't really need much in the way of mic pres as I rely mostly on external pres, but a couple more wouldn't hurt. My main priorities are very high quality conversion, extremely low latency, and solid driver stability.

Anyone have experience with these devices (especially the Lynx Aurora (n) ) ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas View Post
So I'm in the market for a new interface/converter and have basically narrowed it down to either the Lynx Aurora (n) 8 channel or the UA Apollo x 8 or the new Steinberg AXR4 T .

I love the ergonomics and workflow of the Apollo and the Steinberg but I'm leaning toward the Lynx for its sound quality and its modular architecture. I don't really need much in the way of mic pres as I rely mostly on external pres, but a couple more wouldn't hurt. My main priorities are very high quality conversion, extremely low latency, and solid driver stability.

Anyone have experience with these devices (especially the Lynx Aurora (n) ) ?

Thanks in advance.
Get the Aurora for sure sound is awesome i own one,the Tech support is great to
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCSTUDIO View Post
Get the Aurora for sure sound is awesome i own one,the Tech support is great to
Thanks for your reply. How are the drivers in terms of stability and latency?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Aurora Ns are really quite good. We upgraded to 48 I/Os on Thunderbolt + 16 AES I/Os with only 2 units. Very smart intergration. As far as sound, top notch. Great separation and very true capture and reproduction. Impressed to say the least.
One added feature for us is Lynx adopted the pcie format on Thunderbolt so it works like they are on cards meaning I have Direct Monitoring on Thunderbolt in Nuendo. Only Thunderbolt setup I am aware of that supports DM.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Yes. Get the Aurora(n), it's great.

If you want or need more in/outs or change your connectivity you can just get new modules to upgrade.

The support is great, it's futureproof (see above), it sounds absolutely clear.

When you get it, be sure to leave space between it. This unit gets warm!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just picked up the 16 channel TB. I've used Lynx for over 10 years. Lot's of top notch albums are recorded with them. If you want commercial grade sound production it's the right choice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm definitely feeling more encouraged about going with the lynx. I also just chatted with support and was told that you can now control the monitor volume and select which outputs to use with the latest firmware. The newest version of n Control also offers a lot of flexible routing options. This is encouraging as it shows that there's a lot of flexibility in the hardware configuration and firmware updates, which makes it more likely to be "future proof" - if that exists or at least as a worthy investment over a longer period of time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Aurora (n) recommendation

I’ve been using Lynx Aurora’s since gen 1, they’re tanks. The new N is killer, very close if not almost identical to the Hilo in terms of quality. The support, including regular updates to firmware is excellent. I hit up support a few times and Paul asked a lot of questions and took a sincere interest in the situation. He offered a work around, and a few weeks later a firmware update that eliminated the glitch that seems unique to my situation. Can’t say enough good tings about the Lynx team and their products...get one and you’ll feel it too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.Fainbarg View Post
I’ve been using Lynx Aurora’s since gen 1, they’re tanks. The new N is killer, very close if not almost identical to the Hilo in terms of quality. The support, including regular updates to firmware is excellent. I hit up support a few times and Paul asked a lot of questions and took a sincere interest in the situation. He offered a work around, and a few weeks later a firmware update that eliminated the glitch that seems unique to my situation. Can’t say enough good tings about the Lynx team and their products...get one and you’ll feel it too.
Thanks for that Nick. The excellent customer support seems to get constant praise in all the posts I've read about Lynx.

How is the latency with larger track counts and lots of Virtual instruments? I tend to do quite a bit of orchestral mockups and as the track count increase I can really feel the delay. Im on a 6 core machine with SSD's so the computer has quite a bit of processing power. I'm curious about the efficiency and stability of the drivers (on TB2 or TB3).

Last edited by nas; 3 weeks ago at 05:21 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas View Post
Thanks for that Nick. The excellent customer support seems to get constant praise in all the posts I've read about Lynx.

How is the latency with larger track counts and lots of Virtual instruments? I tend to do quite a bit of orchestral mockups and as the track count increase I can really feel the delay. Im on a 6 core machine with SSD's so the computer has quite a bit of processing power. I'm curious about the efficiency and stability of the drivers (on TB2 or TB3).
I’m running 64 io with a basic input track count of 32 analog, 6 AES, playback in the 50-80 track range, plus typically 12 or so VST’s in my normal writing template. We’re using the same computer. It’s my understanding that these days, The latency is as good as the HD cards or however you’re connecting / your DAW. I think I may know what your issue is if you’re on pro tools: Try turning “delay compensation” off when you’re recording/creating, check your system delay in playback engine, and check your stats on the individual VTS’s. I have a feeling that delay compensation alone will remedy your concern. (I suspect) This specific instance you’re describing has nothing to do with the Lynx hardware.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.Fainbarg View Post
I’m running 64 io with a basic input track count of 32 analog, 6 AES, playback in the 50-80 track range, plus typically 12 or so VST’s in my normal writing template. We’re using the same computer. It’s my understanding that these days, The latency is as good as the HD cards or however you’re connecting / your DAW. I think I may know what your issue is if you’re on pro tools: Try turning “delay compensation” off when you’re recording/creating, check your system delay in playback engine, and check your stats on the individual VTS’s. I have a feeling that delay compensation alone will remedy your concern. (I suspect) This specific instance you’re describing has nothing to do with the Lynx hardware.
I'm actually on LPX (which has delay compensation) running VEPro on a second PC server... so some of the latency is added from that depending on the buffer settings of each VEPro instance. I have about 90-100 VI instances loaded with mostly Kontakt multi-instruments. That goes out to several outputs back to LPX and running about 200 or so sequencer tracks. So that's my main orchestral template.

Also, I have an older MOTU interface connected to the computer but running Mytek stereo converters through SPDIF - that's also probably adding some latency and the MOTU drivers while very stable are not super low latency. So Im looking to go with a single rack unit Lynx 8 or 16 channels with TB3 straight into the computer. Using mostly external press but may add the new 4 mic pre module for the Aurora.

Anyway many thanks for your feedback - very helpful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search