The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bad piano latency, audio interface?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Bad piano latency, audio interface?

I'm getting really high return latency on my piano VST setup but I'm not sure why.

I have MIDI out from my piano connected into my Win10 Surface 7 USB with a MIDI converter cable, using Garritan Lite and Pianoteq VST. Looking at the wavelength I'm getting around 70ms of delay, which makes it personally unusable.

I'm using ASIO4ALL at 128/96k (64 is crackling and doesn't change the latency much), Latencymon doesn't show anything wrong and my CPU usage is pretty low (more with Pianoteq but still less than 50%).

If I use my desktop PC instead of the Surface with the same setup I'm getting much less latency, 20ms or so, still not ideal but definitely more usable. But using my desktop PC is not an option because of cabling.

I've been thinking that it might have to do with audio cards, my desktop has a slightly better one (Realtek ALC1150), and based on that I've been wondering if getting an external audio interface would help solve my problem.

Given my setup do you think an external audio interface would solve my latency issue? And any recommendations on what to buy, given that latency is my main concern and that I'm only looking to use it to play my piano (MIDI out only) with a VST?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Latency comes from buffer size. Lower buffer size = less latency. But lower buffer size also = more cpu load.

In general, to reduce real time monitoring latency, you'd want to reduce your card's buffer size to the smallest you can without getting ticks and pops.

One way to make that small is to reduce other demands on the cpu. For example, 128/96 - do you need that high? Maybe try 44/16 as an experiment and see if that doesn't allow you to turn down the buffer size.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

The minimum buffer size I can pick in ASIO4ALL is 64, Garritan has some issues with it but Pianoteq works fine (at 64 and 44100 up to 96k), the delay however doesn't change much compared to 128 and 96k. My CPU load is pretty low, even at 64.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Which audio interface are you using?

EDIT: I just noticed you don't have one. And the answer is yes. It will help significantly. Your round trip latency shouldn't be any higher than 10ms MAX depending on what you are recording.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search