The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Master Buss plugins to replace my hardware
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Master Buss plugins to replace my hardware

Hey folks, I recently decided to go ITB because of space reasons (damn kids!) and want to know which plugins would get me close the sound I got from the hardware that I used on my master buss. Here is the hardware I had, all of them were selected because they each have unique features that added something to my sound. I'm looking for stuff that adds color. I LOVED this setup, it was perfect, but no longer have it, so need a plugin alternative. If I can get in the ballpark with some plugins, awesome.

Burl B32 (This thing is just magic. I'm currently using Waves NLS, which is nice, but wondering if there's something better out there for summing. I doubt there's anything that can get close to the B32, though.)

Elysia xfilter (Nice EQ that has a Passive Massage feature that opens up the top end)

Drawmer 1978 (Used it for the shaping features and to add a slight compression to the groove. Maybe the Softube Drawmer 1973 plugin?)

Behringer Edison EX-1 (Used for adding width to the mix.)

Overstayer Saturator (Another magic box used for adding saturation and harmonics.)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Airwindows console plugins are cool for getting some space in your mix. They also allow transients to poke through your mix better. I personally use PurestConsole and them combine it with the Acustica Sand3 Pres for a transparent summing effect.

Also true iron on the mix bus may be able to help you in getting that burl sound. I like the 111c transformer the most.
Old 1 week ago
You can use TeslaST instead of the Edison.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Read this for more information about airwindows Console and how it can help you achieve something you’re after.

http://www.yewtreemagic.co.uk/soundworlds7.php
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
Also true iron on the mix bus may be able to help you in getting that burl sound. I like the 111c transformer the most.
This sounds great! Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
Read this for more information about airwindows Console and how it can help you achieve something you’re after.

http://www.yewtreemagic.co.uk/soundworlds7.php
Thanks. I checked it out and installed it. I'm not fully clear on how to get it to work properly, and not crazy about it not having any settings that I can tweak. NLS gives more flexibly over the sound.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
How about VSM3 on hiFi or Hc2? Lots of good saturators.......
I also really like Elevate on the 2buss.....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainyoo View Post
Thanks. I checked it out and installed it. I'm not fully clear on how to get it to work properly, and not crazy about it not having any settings that I can tweak. NLS gives more flexibly over the sound.
Hi - the secret of using the Airwindows Console range is to tweak the combined peak audio level at the buss (i.e. when all your channels have been mixed together).

As I explain in my web page linked to above by leckel1996, the Airwindows Console5 range has an almost inaudible effect until buss peaks reach around -10dBFS, which is why I ended up tweaking them to reach -2dBFS so I could more easily hear the improvements, but if you stray over -1dBFS you can get distortion, so things can become a bit fiddly.

However, I find the latest Aiwindows Console6 version much easier to use, as its onset happens much lower in level and increases far more gradually - I now aim to get buss peaks at around -10dBFS for good results with this, but can stray up to -2dBFS with few problems, and don't find myself needing any other settings

Martin
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewtreemagic View Post
Hi - the secret of using the Airwindows Console range is to tweak the combined peak audio level at the buss (i.e. when all your channels have been mixed together).

As I explain in my web page linked to above by leckel1996, the Airwindows Console5 range has an almost inaudible effect until buss peaks reach around -10dBFS, which is why I ended up tweaking them to reach -2dBFS so I could more easily hear the improvements, but if you stray over -1dBFS you can get distortion, so things can become a bit fiddly.

However, I find the latest Aiwindows Console6 version much easier to use, as its onset happens much lower in level and increases far more gradually - I now aim to get buss peaks at around -10dBFS for good results with this, but can stray up to -2dBFS with few problems, and don't find myself needing any other settings

Martin
Thanks Martin. I did read your post, but still wasn't clear. Feel like I need a PHD to get this to work. I will read it again.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
How about VSM3 on hiFi or Hc2? Lots of good saturators.......
I also really like Elevate on the 2buss.....
Could you give me the full names of the plugins? I can only seem to find VSM3. Thanks.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could you give me the full names of the plugins? I can only seem to find VSM3. Thanks.
I think he meant HG2 meaning plugin alliance HG2 (black box).
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru
Yep! Sorry for the shorthand..... Acqua Diamond is great as an eq Wait for a sale tho....
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

True iron

What daw?

Studio one pro does a great summing through plugin trick... sounds gorgeous
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Elysia has a few plugins themselves. Alpha Compressor, mpressor, etc. Sadly no Xfilter yet, though.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
True iron

What daw?

Studio one pro does a great summing through plugin trick... sounds gorgeous
Do tell.. Plugin trick?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4ree View Post
Do tell.. Plugin trick?
Hi, I think He reffers to the console shaper plugin included in the Studio One DAW.

https://www.presonus.com/press/press.../Studio-One-32

Best regards.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borja View Post
Hi, I think He reffers to the console shaper plugin included in the Studio One DAW.

https://www.presonus.com/press/press.../Studio-One-32

Best regards.
I think you're right.. But ya never know.. LOL
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4ree View Post
Do tell.. Plugin trick?
Look it up... they have implemented a seperate mix buss processing that utilizes either console summing or Softube Tape where all the tracks are summed through it rather than the regular summing engine

Very very analog

Gorgeous
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Great recommendations so far, thanks! How about a plugin that gives control over the stereo width and depth to replace my Edison EX-1?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Great recommendations so far, thanks! How about a plugin that gives control over the stereo width and depth to replace my Edison EX-1?
Hi drainyoo, you could try the A1Audio’s A1StereoControl by Alex Hilton, it´s free and it lets you control the stereo width as well as the bass frecuencies if you want to collaps them in mono, amongst other things.

I hope it helps.

Best regards
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Flux Solera + Flux Stereo Tool. Great for master bus in my experience.

Try it!

Their whole Mastering Pack is excellent!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borja View Post
Hi drainyoo, you could try the A1Audio’s A1StereoControl by Alex Hilton, it´s free and it lets you control the stereo width as well as the bass frecuencies if you want to collaps them in mono, amongst other things.

I hope it helps.

Best regards
Awesome, thank you! I just found Dr. MS, any idea how it compares?

https://www.mathewlane.com/downloads/drms/
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pery Petia View Post
Flux Solera + Flux Stereo Tool. Great for master bus in my experience.

Try it!

Their whole Mastering Pack is excellent!
Thanks! I will check them out.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Leapwing StageOne and CenterOne, without a doubt.

Saturation: DSP Reviver, True Iron, Console6, Sand3 and IK Tapes. Also check out Arturia's preamp collection.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Awesome, thank you! I just found Dr. MS, any idea how it compares?

https://www.mathewlane.com/downloads/drms/
Hi, I have never used that one so I can´t comment on it. Sorry.

Best regards.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search