The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA Apollo vs Other Interface Options
Old 19th February 2020
Manufacturer

Hi all,
Sorry for being late to the party here.....

I have not read every post in the thread, but wanted to make myself available to answer any questions you might have.

Please quote this post to do so.

Thanks!
Old 20th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I have two basic configurations

DAW Mode: Quantum is the master clock, feeding all my DAC's and auxiliary (ADAT, SPDIF) converters via BNC coax cables and/or digital audio cables.

and then Listening Mode - Topping DX7s takes whatever source (most often USB from Windows) and is the clock, main rack of 'studio gear' turned off
Thanks monkeyxx
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e09cd8e View Post
I didn't know who Manny and Serban were and a quick google search tells me that I have never heard any of their recordings outside of cable tv and bad movies. I don't care about popularity. They seem to be good at their job of making modern pop but modern pop music is mostly comprised of vocals, samples, and rather tamely recorded instrumental parts so them receiving "the best" recordings is again relative because many people would take issue with that sterile notion of quality. Saying they're the best recordings because they are in the music with the most streams is the same as saying the cinematography in Marvel movies is the best because they make the most money right now. Of course those cinematographers are forced to shoot them that way and whoever color times it is forced to do it that way too.

I'm sure the Apollo's pres are perfectly acceptable for whatever I just listened to with the people on the playground and heavy reverb on the vocals. I'm sure it is fine for that and for what the people who you are talking about are doing in the sound of contemporary pop. That's great for them but again totally meaningless for others like me.

The Apollo stuff is not perfect for everything, eg the pres rob guitar cabs of weight. Many of the weight issues with the unison plugs other posters and I have experienced are probably caused by the pre and ad converter sound. Just because you don't notice it due to what you are recording or are mentally compensating for it in mixing (or assume you are. We've all experienced that) with eq and processing doesn't mean it's not there. Many raw tracks do not take too kindly to those sort of changes so you cannot always compensate.

If the plugins sounded better, I would buy them. Those reverbs are probably sick but I'm doing things pretty dry right now and it doesn't matter that much what canned reverb I drench something in for certain clients in certain genres; they'll often pick it themselves.
Billie Eilish’s “When We Fall Asleep...” album was recorded with an Apollo. It won a Grammy for Best New Artist, Song of the Year, Record of the Year and Album of the Year — along with honors for Best Pop Vocal Album. Maybe you heard of that one. Yes?
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Addict

I'm constantly surprised at how poor Apollo's conversion sounds, especially given the price.
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
I'm constantly surprised at how poor Apollo's conversion sounds, especially given the price.
No you aren't.
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Guru

Apollo conversion is fine. Price is what it is. Make some music.
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Hi all,
Sorry for being late to the party here.....

I have not read every post in the thread, but wanted to make myself available to answer any questions you might have.

Please quote this post to do so.

Thanks!
Is it possible to connect an external display to the Daisy chain thunderbolt port on a twin x?

Greetings!
Old 22nd February 2020
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolfaro View Post
Is it possible to connect an external display to the Daisy chain thunderbolt port on a twin x?

Greetings!
Sure.
Old 22nd February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
Can you detail how you've isolated the issue with the conversion, and provide some test criteria, material and results?

Genuine question. Few other people seem to have an issue so it'd be interesting to see how you've arrived at this conclusion. Most people couldn't isolate that factor!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search