The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with changing from Pro Tools to Logic
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Help with changing from Pro Tools to Logic

Hi guys, I’m sorry if this is a stupid question but I’d love some help here.
How do you get existing Pro Tools files and open or import them into Logic Pro X?

To explain my circumstance - I have traditionally used Pro tools 9 with Mac OS Lion (I know its old but it worked for me!) For a number of reasons my other third party software wont work with Lion anymore so I must update to the latest Mac OS. The problem with the newer Mac OS is that Pro tools 9 will no longer work.

Given this, I’ve had a think about things and decided I want to move to Logic Pro X as my DAW now instead of upgrading Pro tools. I cant justify the money to upgrade both. The problem is that I can’t understand how to get the songs I’ve recorded in Pro Tools (i.e. all the individuals tracks and mixing) into Logic to open them or edit these later?

I tried to use something called OMF/AAF to export the tracks and session out of Pro Tools and into Logic. When I open or import them into Logic however it all gets garbled and out of time.

Is there some easier way of doing it? Otherwise I’d have to bounce each individual track down to a new file and import each of these bounced individual tracks into Logic. That could be hours if not days of work and once bounced I’d be stuck with each track as it was bounced – ie no ability to change existing EQ or Compression settings that were inserted in Pro Tools before I bounced each track.

Is there another way???

Any help you could offer would save me greatly?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
You can consolidate all the audio tracks from a common start time, and export those new audio files to a folder. Import those audio files into Logic, set them all to a common start time, and you will have your audio intact and in time.

There is no way to keep the mix intact beyond your idea to bounce the tracks one at a time. Plugins are not compatible between logic and protools, mix settings do not translate, etc.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
You can consolidate all the audio tracks from a common start time, and export those new audio files to a folder. .
Ok I'm sorry to be a such a moron but how do I do this part in pro tools? Could you explain to me as I'm a bit thick
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce42 View Post
That could be hours if not days of work and once bounced I’d be stuck with each track as it was bounced – ie no ability to change existing EQ or Compression settings that were inserted in Pro Tools before I bounced each track.
You’re in a sticky situation here. If you have a project you’re working on I would definitely commit to finishing the music completely before doing daw swaps! I mean, to the point where when it’s done it’s done, no more eq and compression tweaks.

Or...biting the bullet and starting from scratch with these mixes in Logic. Just bringing the raw stems over.

just have to ask yourself what’s more important, those new plugins or finishing the music and moving on.

I can’t see a reason why things would be garbled or out of time upon importing unless the export settings were set incorrectly or if you have conflicting sample rates.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Dear @ deuce42 , I am curious to know what the "third party software" is. It seems to me that all that Pro Tools expertise you've developed over the years is a asset for your productivity that you should protect.

It would be far,far easier for you to use Pro Tools by learning to install/boot Windows on your existing Mac hardware than it would to learn Logic to the proficiency level you're probably at right now. That Windows strategy along with an HFS+ read/write capability in Windows might be away forward to consider.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce42 View Post
Ok I'm sorry to be a such a moron but how do I do this part in pro tools? Could you explain to me as I'm a bit thick
Highlite the full range of all the audio tracks back flush to the start of the timeline. Then under the edit menu choose "consolidate."

Here's a video of a guy talkig you through it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cmcHBs_5wo
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
Highlite the full range of all the audio tracks back flush to the start of the timeline. Then under the edit menu choose "consolidate."

Here's a video of a guy talkig you through it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cmcHBs_5wo
ah thanks for that!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search