The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Unity gain plugin?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Question Unity gain plugin?

I wonder if such a thing exist?

a plugin does nothing but keep unity gain. I don't mind latency. Only use it for mixing.

So a plugin that I can put at the end of each track's insert point and let me set a loudness parameter, if the incoming signal lower or higher than that set loudness, it applies make up or reduce gain to achieve unity gain.

Or put one plugin at the first of the insert chain and another one at the end of the insert chain. The end of the insert chain one reads the first chain one and apply unity gain by measure the loudness difference.

Does this plugin exist?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hornet makes something similar to this. Can't remember what it's called at the moment.

Also, I think waves also has something similar. Gain rider?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheever View Post
Hornet makes something similar to this. Can't remember what it's called at the moment.

Also, I think waves also has something similar. Gain rider?
For waves I believe you main Vocal Rider and Bass Rider.
I actually have Horizon bundle that have these 2 plugins. I never used them and didn't really know what they do...I guess I will try them now. Thanks man!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sound Radix Powair using only the leveller component. (Also their Drum Leveller)

Blue Cat’s DP Meter Pro with a MIDI link to their free gain plugin.

I have a feeling that a “unity gain plugin” isn’t going to do what you want, however.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vze26m98 View Post
Sound Radix Powair using only the leveller component. (Also their Drum Leveller)

Blue Cat’s DP Meter Pro with a MIDI link to their free gain plugin.

I have a feeling that a “unity gain plugin” isn’t going to do what you want, however.
Thanks for the recommendation man, What I want actually just want to take fletcher munson curve out of the equation when I make adjustment decision.
I found myself going back and forth adjusting the output gain of each plugin everytime I make an adjustment. It's getting very annoying. I know I don't have to do that but that's how I like to work.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkinners View Post
a plugin [that] does nothing but keep unity gain.
"Unity Gain" means "No gain change at all".

...Therefore, all you need to achieve "unity gain" is to NOT use ANY plugin at all!
See how simple that is?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

let us know if it's any good, if you try it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
[IMG]let us know if it's any good, if you try it.
I originally used Meterplugs Perception for this kind of loudness matching, but the one from TBPro I prefer. It’s less confusing to operate, and I very much like the manual mode, which gives me a lot more control.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I originally used Meterplugs Perception for this kind of loudness matching, but the one from TBPro I prefer. It’s less confusing to operate, and I very much like the manual mode, which gives me a lot more control.
I think they originally made it as a Reaper script. I think I saw that old one in the FX list recently too. this looks cleaner on the interface than the script if I recall. the script had quite an ugly interface. I assume that if you add positive EQ, this plugin should keep rebalancing the level. I haven't properly tried them out yet.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post

let us know if it's any good, if you try it.

Quote:
Some of the TBProAudio stuff looks quite interesting. I've never heard of TBProAudio before, so thank you guys!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

You can use hornet vu meter to do this, or by ear to save time
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkinners View Post
Thanks for the recommendation man, What I want actually just want to take fletcher munson curve out of the equation when I make adjustment decision.
I found myself going back and forth adjusting the output gain of each plugin everytime I make an adjustment. It's getting very annoying. I know I don't have to do that but that's how I like to work.
Not to side track but this is interesting. If you'd care to get into it I'd be curious as to what situations led to wanting trim readjustments' like this? (..or plugs?)
I can think of one [type] that would apply - emulations of the 1176 for example..
Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

yep, it exists :

https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-clms/

I bought it but never really used it, because I find it too complicated and/or less practical than just setting the gain using a loudness meter...

But it works quite well and it's cheap (you can get it even cheaper if you wait for a sale)...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This. You can let the gain staging of your track fluctuate by .5 to 1dB from top to bottom of chain and that won’t make or break your mix. Getting an ‘exact replica’ of volume from the beginning to end of a chain isn’t really the goal IMO. I’d just worry about staying in the ball park (by doing it by ear) and I’d worry more about the amount of time I’m sitting with something and looping it over and over lol..or ear fatigue.

Before these plugins Nobody was scientifically A/Bing chains, that’s really time consuming and adding to your listening time, ruining your perspective. Build a small arsenal of your favorite tools that you know the sound of. Sometimes things are louder and better lol. Sometimes they’re quieter and better! If it feels good and it works then you’re on track. Just vibe.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
yep, it exists :

https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-clms/

I bought it but never really used it, because I find it too complicated and/or less practical than just setting the gain using a loudness meter...

But it works quite well and it's cheap (you can get it even cheaper if you wait for a sale)...
And it does the same thing you do manually :D

Just listens to the loudness of the signal before processing (using the CLMS send component) then the CLMS receive measures the loudness after the processing and applies the needed gain correction, this is made every 400ms

Saverio
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search