The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Mac Laptop
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

New Mac Laptop

Dear all,
I don’t want to start a whole ‘Apple laptops are going down the toilet debate’. However, is there a Mac laptop available at the moment that is suitable for moderate power music production?
If so, then what? And what are the pitfalls I should be looking out for?
- ‘May need it to play nicely with USB 2/3 and TBolt interfaces.
Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Decide on your budget first, 13 inch can be configured up to a four core i7.

15 inch can be configured with an 8 core i9.

pretty much have to order RAM and internal storage at time of purchase, no user serviceable parts.

I'll be holding on to my ancient 2011 15 inch with two internal drives and maxed out RAM.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thank you gdoubleyou.
So 15” i9 with loads of RAM seems to be the way to go atm for mileage for a good few years?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thank You Henry!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Yeah wait a bit. Macrumors is saying that the 16'' will be announced by the end of this month:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/21...y-end-october/
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I went through the same exercise recently and just couldn't justify buying a new mac laptop for my music (I don't run a studio or anything).
With the problems with the keyboards, the cost of new macs, the introduction of the Atom chip and some ensuing audio problems, and the fact that in the next two years we'll probably be seeing macs based on the Atom chips, I decided to go with a used mac.
I got a 2015 15" macbook pro with I7, 1Tbyte SSD, and 16 mb of RAM. I got it from eBay and I think it came from one of those companies that obviously buys these things in lots, I assume from businesses upgrading their employees laptops or whatever. Anyway, I got it for $1000, it came and was very clean and works just fine.
It's well resourced to cover me for the next few years and I think I made the right decision.

keith
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I would personally hold off completely until MacOS Catalina is fully supported by software vendors. Any new Mac you purchase now will be shipped with MacOS Catalina.

You could opt for a MacBook Pro from the Apple Refurbished Store. They will mostly ship with MacOS Mojave.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
I would personally hold off completely until MacOS Catalina is fully supported by software vendors. Any new Mac you purchase now will be shipped with MacOS Catalina.

You could opt for a MacBook Pro from the Apple Refurbished Store. They will mostly ship with MacOS Mojave.
All current models can be downgraded to macOS 10.14 "Mojave". I got that directly from Apple. You need to do this without their help of course, but if one can't install macOS then computers might not be the best tool.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
All current models can be downgraded to macOS 10.14 "Mojave".
I believe that used to be the case. However, after speaking to Apple Support I was told that no future Macs factory shipped with a particular OS version can be downgraded.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I believe that used to be the case. However, after speaking to Apple Support I was told that no future Macs factory shipped with a particular OS version can be downgraded.
Apple told me the exact opposite and I have succeeded in the past to get their promises written down as a term for the sale (I buy a lot of machines for clients). So if it doesn't work the machine can be returned.

I think you might mix up the fact that Apple won't do the downgrade for you with it not being possible.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
Apple told me the exact opposite and I have succeeded in the past to get their promises written down as a term for the sale (I buy a lot of machines for clients). So if it doesn't work the machine can be returned.
Cool. It seems Apple do give conflicting information. Nevertheless, I am certain a 16 inch MacBook Pro (should Apple release one) cannot be downgraded. I have read some articles about possibly being able to downgrade the OS version back to the original release date of the machine but it can get a bit messy.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Cool. It seems Apple do give conflicting information. Nevertheless, I am certain a 16 inch MacBook Pro (should Apple release one) cannot be downgraded. I have read some articles about possibly being able to downgrade the OS version back to the original release date of the machine but it can get a bit messy.
Which is why I don't care for a mythical machine and am looking at the 8-core. I don't think I'll go Catalina, or whatever comes next autumn, before 2021.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search