The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
McDsp vs newer plugins (PA, UAD etc...)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

McDsp vs newer plugins (PA, UAD etc...)

Are you guys still using the old McDsp plugs? I have them on my TDM rig, but I'm planning on leaving that sytem in tact and the Ilok will be tied up in that computer.

I'm considering getting a few McDSP plugins for my native system while they're on sale (so this is pretty time sensitive). I'm building a new rig while my studio is down. (Home repairs). Part of my remodel. (gutted to the studs) is my personal lab, so I haven't had the chance (or the time) to demo most new plugs.

Have plugins surpassed the McDSP plugs I used often on my old system? I'm not considering the entire bundle just the:

EC 300 native : $79
6030 Compressor: $29
Futz Box : $49
AE600 Active EQ $49
and the Classic Native Pack: $99 (with Compressor Bank/Filter Bank/Analog Channel and hte MC2000 Multiband comp)

The plugins don't cost much, so I'm figuring it can't hurt to have them even if it's just to open old sessions on my native system, but I'm curious if you guys still use them. Filter Bank is one of my favorite EQ's for filters.

Also, is there anything else McDSP that you consider a must have that I'm overlooking?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have a bunch of their plug-ins among UAD, PA, Waves etc.

I really like the sound of FilterBank. I just wish they'd make a version with hi/lo cut filters and 5 parametric bands already. But when it comes to the sound of this EQ, I'm still sold on it.

Also have the EC300 and use it occasionally - it's quite versatile. I'm not a fan of their compressors though, especially the 60X0 versions where the attack and release pots are messed up (in my opinion they should behave like they do on the hardware the module is representing).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post

I really like the sound of FilterBank. I just wish they'd make a version with hi/lo cut filters and 5 parametric bands already. But when it comes to the sound of this EQ, I'm still sold on it.

Also have the EC300 and use it occasionally - it's quite versatile. I'm not a fan of their compressors though, especially the 60X0 versions where the attack and release pots are messed up (in my opinion they should behave like they do on the hardware the module is representing).
Thanks, I bought a few of them. I figure more than anything I'll use compressorbank and Filter Bank for something in each mix. I knew I didn't need the entire bundle, but the FutzBox/Echo and few others may come in handy.

I know that Black Friday is coming up, so I'll probably be grabbing a few channel strips and reverbs then.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post

Their Channel G EQ has the filters plus 5 parametric bands
Old 3 weeks ago
Sky
Lives for gear

I still use CompressorBank and occasionally FilterBank plugins. CompressorBank is a character compressor for me - its effect can be audible and gritty in a pleasing way.

Sky

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search