The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avid Pro Tools ... !?
Old 10th October 2019
Gear Addict

Avid Pro Tools ... !?

Pro tools ultimate 2019.06 how about new update after 4 month ?!
Old 10th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanstudio View Post
Pro tools ultimate 2019.06 how about new update after 4 month ?!
I bought into PT Ultimate, only got 1 update, it works with Mac OS Mojave....
Avid is BS with their 400.00 a year to stay up to date...
Sorry for the Rant ....
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah this year has been rather underwhelming so far in terms of updates. Hopefully we’ll see something interesting at AES.
#notcountingonit
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear

I was waiting for Mojave support at the beginning of this year and my plan expired around 3 days before they released the 2019.5 update. So I still haven’t renewed as I’ve been p****d off until now!
Old 11th October 2019
This is the sort of nonsense that prompted my migration to studio one.
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

My plan expires Sunday. I am very seriously considering not staying on the update plan. I feel like a fool paying over and over for the same software that was extremely expensive to buy in the first place. The updates have been underwhelming to say the least and would have been free in any other DAW. To top it off, the software is less than stable. Getting better but still not as good as it used to be. So, basically I am paying in the hope that they come up with a version stable enough and then I am out. I already own all the extra software that comes with the plan, so that’s no incentive for me to stay on. Support? Once in the past 10 years or so and just to ask about a PT subscription license not properly updating.
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
the software is less than stable. Getting better but still not as good as it used to be. So, basically I am paying in the hope that they come up with a version stable enough and then I am out.
I’m definitely flirting with that idea myself.
There’s a few things I want to see implemented before I do so however and I’m sadly not at all convinced they are on their priority list.
One important one for me is multichannel sidechain support.

So we’ll see.
There’s been handy improvements added, but I’m not sure I feel they justify the 400 bucks a year.
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
I’m definitely flirting with that idea myself.
There’s a few things I want to see implemented before I do so however and I’m sadly not at all convinced they are on their priority list.
One important one for me is multichannel sidechain support.

So we’ll see.
There’s been handy improvements added, but I’m not sure I feel they justify the 400 bucks a year.
I think they're fleecing the flock to stay afloat.
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Addict

PT can be add some easy things.
1. Smart ruller
2. Spectrum analyzer for air eq-7
3. Mastering analyzer Lufs
4. Modern and acoustic drum sample and library
5. Personal pitch editor like melodyne .
All of this things is easy and very old . But pro tools needs to them .
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanstudio View Post
PT can be add some easy things.
1. Smart ruller
2. Spectrum analyzer for air eq-7
3. Mastering analyzer Lufs
4. Modern and acoustic drum sample and library
5. Personal pitch editor like melodyne .
All of this things is easy and very old . But pro tools needs to them .
I like your ideas but I'd also add these (and they are are even easier)

1. POST fader sends (for using things like AirWindows or SoundRadix Pi)

2. Polarity switch/Trims on channels

3. Ability to solo the bus or tracks going to that bus instead of either/or without setting up groups and vcas and enabling/disabling - I think other DAWs call these Folder tracks)

4. inserts for monitoring (SonarWorks, CanOpener, etc. that don't go 'to tape')

all features lots of other DAWs already have
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Maniac

My dream would be a form of track commit that would be like "track and all playlists commit". Say you've got a vocal track with 10 takes. This option would commit all the inserts to the track and all the playlists underneath as well.

Also, instead of just one top eq plugin and one compressor plugin at the top of the insert list, you could pick a "top 5" (or 8 or 10) plugins that showed up first in the list
Old 12th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglion View Post
My dream would be a form of track commit that would be like "track and all playlists commit". Say you've got a vocal track with 10 takes. This option would commit all the inserts to the track and all the playlists underneath as well.

Also, instead of just one top eq plugin and one compressor plugin at the top of the insert list, you could pick a "top 5" (or 8 or 10) plugins that showed up first in the list
Hey Danny

Just sent you an email about that second feature you're after--but for the rest of the gang here, hope this helps:

Before selecting a plugin of choice (to which you’d like easy access), hold the command (assuming you’re on Mac) key—and then select the plugin as you normally would. This will add it (and you can do this for as many as you’d like) to the very top of your list so you can access easily. You have to do this for both mono and stereo inserts, fyi.
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Addict

Phase / polarity knob in channel .
Yes , we need it .
Old 13th October 2019
Lives for gear

Workaround that costs you one insert slot:
Put a trim plug on each track on the first slot that has phase invert engaged.
Inactivate the whole row of inserts.
Activate when needed. Works just like a polarity switch then.
Not ideal, but works.

Put it in your template and never worry about it again.
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
Workaround that costs you one insert slot:
Put a trim plug on each track on the first slot that has phase invert engaged.
Inactivate the whole row of inserts.
Activate when needed. Works just like a polarity switch then.
Not ideal, but works.

Put it in your template and never worry about it again.
I doing this way.
But I need to easy way . Like other DAW
Old 13th October 2019
Lives for gear

Of course.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

I am now out of coverage for the first time. It expired Sunday. I feel happy and free, but also scared. Like standing on a tall rock. I have the security line of yet another few weeks to change my mind (grace period) safely attached to my belt but I hope I have the courage to disconnect that as well. I have the money to pay for updates and I always install the latest version of everything, but I am sick of the bad deal we are getting. I figure that if we do not show Avid that we do not accept the bad model of paying in advance for undisclosed features and bug fixes (which should be free - hell they should be paying me to put up with them for years) there’s no way they will rethink the model. I want the old model back, where you paid if and when there were new features that you wanted. It came out muuuuuuch cheaper for us and gave Avid an incentive to actually come up with good stuff.
Old 15th October 2019
Deleted 3284bb9
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
I am now out of coverage for the first time. It expired Sunday. I feel happy and free, but also scared. Like standing on a tall rock. I have the security line of yet another few weeks to change my mind (grace period) safely attached to my belt but I hope I have the courage to disconnect that as well. I have the money to pay for updates and I always install the latest version of everything, but I am sick of the bad deal we are getting. I figure that if we do not show Avid that we do not accept the bad model of paying in advance for undisclosed features and bug fixes (which should be free - hell they should be paying me to put up with them for years) there’s no way they will rethink the model. I want the old model back, where you paid if and when there were new features that you wanted. It came out muuuuuuch cheaper for us and gave Avid an incentive to actually come up with good stuff.
This is exactly how I feel. My update plan coverage lapses in March and I have no intention to renew it. I've learned Studio One and although it's lacking some features I rely on (import session data being the main one) I now have a plan B.

In all honestly I'll likely just keep using PT2019. I managed fine on PT8 so the extra features now just make my life easier but I could live without them
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

In any case you have a 1 month grace period I believe.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Yup.
Old 15th October 2019
I haven't really seen any OMG features since 12.4 or something when they implemented freeze and commit. For that yearly sub price it should have been a stable implements of new top-requested features every year. Avid could have just worked their way through the list keeping people happy. It's really a joke...

The only thing i'm missing is folder tracks.
Old 15th October 2019
As we're dreaming, I think mine is just the same as everyone:

My dream would be a correctly priced fully featured DAW (meaning priced similar to other main DAWs like Ableton, Studo One etc for the HD version) with permanent license and NOT this crazy nonsense holdup.

NONE of my students are even a little bit interested in protools at this point because of those crazy price points: Protools is already loosing the whole next generation of producers/mixers.

I stopped renewing 2 years ago; right now I'm on Studio One 4 and more happy than ever...
Old 15th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Artsy Moods View Post
As we're dreaming, I think mine is just the same as everyone:

My dream would be a correctly priced fully featured DAW (meaning priced similar to other main DAWs like Ableton, Studo One etc for the HD version) with permanent license and NOT this crazy nonsense holdup.

NONE of my students are even a little bit interested in protools at this point because of those crazy price points: Protools is already loosing the whole next generation of producers/mixers.

I stopped renewing 2 years ago; right now I'm on Studio One 4 and more happy than ever...
+1

I also semi-moved to Studio One. Really liking it so far. Still a few things are a bit clunky. I really love the layout and color scheme of PT. Studio one is awful haha.

Most things is just easier out of habit ofc. But Automation is still king in PT. I really don't like the idea of adding parameters etc for basic stuff.

Import session data was a big letdown in studio one, which have prevented me from moving though.

I do write songs in Studio One which is so much better then in PT. Change the song tempo takes a second. Importing and auditioning samples is also allot better.¨

But compared to Avid i know Presonus and Studio one will fix those things within a year or two...
Old 15th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
+1

I also semi-moved to Studio One. Really liking it so far. Still a few things are a bit clunky. I really love the layout and color scheme of PT. Studio one is awful haha.

Most things is just easier out of habit ofc. But Automation is still king in PT. I really don't like the idea of adding parameters etc for basic stuff.

Import session data was a big letdown in studio one, which have prevented me from moving though.

I do write songs in Studio One which is so much better then in PT. Change the song tempo takes a second. Importing and auditioning samples is also allot better.¨

But compared to Avid i know Presonus and Studio one will fix those things within a year or two...
Totally agree; protools has some things I prefer and everything modular on Studio one is sometimes tiring and misleading; but like you, seeing how Presonus cares and listen to his customers I know the last pieces missing will come soon, no doubt about this.
While with PT... we know the answer...

Plus like you, i find to produce Studio One has better tools; kinda like taking the best of Ableton and the best of Protools... a Daw for today music and progressing a lot faster than other DAWs.

Anyway, didn't want to derail this thread with studio one, but just Avid listen: make software the next generation can afford, and with real full features list please!
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

This march coming up will be one year im out of date. Left at 2018.12 and havent felt any regret.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear
I'm really looking forward to the new Avid Control App which should be released by the end of this year. The new Avid S1 looks incredible too!

As for Pro Tools updates -
Old 15th October 2019
Here for the gear

I wonder if Avid is working on a PT refresh similar to what they did with Media Composer. Might explain why there has been a lack of updates this year.

I sure hope so, otherwise I'll probably let my Ultimate subscription lapse for the first time ever. I'm really not seeing the value to continue.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

The irony is that if you do the subscription "support" plan and download every update you are likely to have a less stable system. Once you find a version of PT that is stable on your system you are better off just leaving it be.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

LOL @ PRO TOOLS

Been Cubase since 2010 and have never looked back.
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
The irony is that if you do the subscription "support" plan and download every update you are likely to have a less stable system. Once you find a version of PT that is stable on your system you are better off just leaving it be.
This X 1000.

The people that give this company $400 a year in return for jacksquat are focusing on things that have nothing to do with making music and art.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search