The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
macOS Catalina - share your experiences here
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seclusion View Post
I have updated a backup drive to Catalina public beta 8 and now 9 on a 2017 iMac.
The update itself went smooth, I just overwrote a Mojave clone install.
Logic Pro was slow to re check AU's.
Kontakt, Spectrasonics, Slate, SD3 and a Bunch of other plugs did pass.
Waves plugs had some trouble passing, but I just enabled in Plugin manager.
Some of them needed approval in security.
Seems snappy, NO bugs or crashes.
The only issue I had was my CP4 hadn’t been 64 compliant, but has since been updated.
Quantum is good, my dock, Ax8, backup drives all seen, 2nd monitor good.
Just a single Roland Um-1 midi first gen isn’t updated. So I just plugged my TD 9 into midi on Quantum.
I would say, just check about my Mac, legacy software and ensure all your devices are 64bit.
All in all, painless.
What version of Waves do you have? I have got a lot of Waves plug ins still on V9
Old 3 weeks ago
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishkash View Post
I feel kind of bad for the Tuis and Saschas of this thread...but then again, I don't...

Look dudes. If I found myself in 2019 with a bunch of expensive, incompatible 32-bit hardware/software I purchased some years back, I'd want to bop nobody over the head other than MYSELF. No offense...but maybe it's a generational thing? I learned to produce during the cusp of the "Digital Revolution" - around 2008. Even BACK THEN, I could easily understand that 64-bit was the way forward, and that things like CD PLAYERS of all ancient things (no sarcasm) were on their way out. Fast forward 11 years...and you are STILL bitching about the end of 32-bit, and clinging onto your CD PLAYER? Again, no offense, but..."OK BOOMER".

If I were you, I'd sell your old ****e gear secondhand, and consider future-proofing your studio, lest you find yourself in the same conundrum in the future. If you can't do that, you ought to do away with digital and what it stands for entirely, and go back to an all-analog workflow. Embrace the future that's coming, or the past you enjoyed. You can't have both in this audio game unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing. It appears that folks of your type didn't see this coming, whereas many of us did and adjusted accordingly.

As for OSes...I have great respect for those producers who clung to XP and continued to make music with it for years after its obsolescense. But I'm sure they understood that sooner or later, they would have to face the elephant in the room. Same for you and sticking with old OSes.

In any case, you need to quit bitching about what you don't have and go make some music. Based on what I've read on this thread so far, I am happily updating to Catalina presently. If there is any sort of cause for regret, it would have to be a critical dev error, as the audio ship I run on my Mac is tighter than a mosquito's ass. But you know what? I'll use stock plugins for a while if I have to. I believe in the dev process. It's not like the entire audio industry is going to jump ship just because there are a few bumps in the road. You Grumpy Old Men can believe whatever you want...

Since the mods decided to let your post stand, I might as well respond to it.

For a start, I don't have a "bunch of expensive, incompatible 32-bit hardware/software I purchased some years back". Most of the 32-bit apps I'd hate to lose are freeware, such as a general-purpose notes app and a few plugins that have a unique sound.

I don't have any "old ****e gear". I can afford to buy whatever gear I want, and the age of the equipment doesn't come into it. I care about quality - a concept perhaps alien to you.

This also has nothing to do with analogue vs digital. I bet I was being recorded digitally in the studio when you were still in your diapers, or weren't even born.

"Grumpy old men"..? Being a nice and affable person, I won't hold your lack of experience against you.

Last edited by Tui; 3 weeks ago at 10:54 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsy View Post
That was my major gripe with the soft-key, given that it should always be present there was no benefit to having it part of a dynamic touch bar. Having a tactile key matters when you're using it constantly.
It doesn't matter to me and I use the escape key all the time But I do agree with your point so its nice they followed up and just made a real key.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsy View Post
That was my major gripe with the soft-key, given that it should always be present there was no benefit to having it part of a dynamic touch bar. Having a tactile key matters when you're using it constantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoneight View Post
It doesn't matter to me and I use the escape key all the time But I do agree with your point so its nice they followed up and just made a real key.
I'll put it this way, I never had any issues with the touchbar escape key, but I think in the back of mind I always thought, "If my machine freezes up and I'm trying to use Cmd + option + ESC to Force quit something, will the escape key freeze up as well?"

I think I inherently have a mistrust for the escape key being a soft key. If I saw it on a Dell laptop I would think the same thing, "Oh boy, here comes another disaster from Dell where my Escape key won't work when I need it."
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Since the mods decided to let your post stand, I might as well respond to it.

For a start, I don't have a "bunch of expensive, incompatible 32-bit hardware/software I purchased some years back". Most of the 32-bit apps I'd hate to lose are freeware, such as a general-purpose notes app and a few plugins that have a unique sound.

I don't have any "old ****e gear". I can afford to buy whatever gear I want, and the age of the equipment doesn't come into it. I care about quality - a concept perhaps alien to you.

This also has nothing to do with analogue vs digital. I bet I was being recorded digitally in the studio when you were still in your diapers, or weren't even born.

"Grumpy old men"..? Being a nice and affable person, I won't hold your lack of experience against you.
Ok sir. I can be a cranky **** in the morning, but apparently my post really touched a nerve. Sorry about that man...no offense intended!

Keep on keeping on

Back on topic: No problems whatsoever with Catalina yet (using Ableton Live 10). I've scored two 4 minute pieces for film, mixed a 4 piece acoustic ensemble, and remixed said ensemble using a ton of effects, both VST2 and VST3. Waves, Softube, NI, PA, Izotope, and a few other brands I'm forgetting. Other than randomly crashing occasionally when I try to add/delete an instrument rack/effect rack (which happened on Mojave as well), I've had no problems whatsoever.

So far so good...

Last edited by Ishkash; 3 weeks ago at 11:58 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Ok sir. I can be a cranky **** in the morning, but apparently my post really touched a nerve. Sorry about that man...no offense intended!

Keep on keeping on

Back on topic: No problems whatsoever with Catalina yet (using Ableton Live 10). I've scored two 4 minute pieces for film, mixed a 4 piece acoustic ensemble, and remixed said ensemble using a ton of effects, both VST2 and VST3. Waves, Softube, NI, PA, Izotope, and a few other brands I'm forgetting. Other than randomly crashing occasionally when I try to add/delete an instrument rack/effect rack (which happened on Mojave as well), I've had no problems whatsoever.

So far so good...
Maybe Tui should exit stage left if that was truly offensive. And damn do I hate the grumpy old man ****. Hey Tui...the condescending "i was doing this before you were born" stuff doesn't ever put anyone in their place and frankly is quite stupid on forums where you have absolutely no idea how old someone is.

Apple should be keeping 32-bit support for your "general purpose notes app" when there are probably a hundred or more options, free and otherwise, that work just fine on Catalina? Holy cow.

I'm impressed though if you can afford to buy whatever gear you want. I work for a living making a good salary and there is a lot of gear I'd want that I couldnt come close to affording.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoneight View Post
Hey Tui...the condescending "i was doing this before you were born" stuff doesn't ever put anyone in their place and frankly is quite stupid on forums where you have absolutely no idea how old someone is.

I'm impressed though if you can afford to buy whatever gear you want. I work for a living making a good salary and there is a lot of gear I'd want that I couldnt come close to affording.
I suspect Tui was simply snapping back at me after my sarcastic "ok boomer" comment (which is understandable). For the record I have no idea how old he or anybody on this thread is...it's more an observable attitude to which I speak. I'm not going to further expound upon that here, as this is no place for inter-generational warfare, so I'll just throw up a white flag right here.

The producers I know for whom money is practically no object (significantly less than half a dozen) have mouth-watering all-analog chains, and I've never heard any of them complain about these sorts of archaic problems. The present state of digital audio production technology is absolutely incredible and there is no getting around that.

So this is what I prescribe for this man, who has no spending limits for his gear (congrats on that Tui btw...don't forget about the little people): go all-analog and move on. I'm not sure that investing in a cutting edge computer-based workflow is a good match for him.

After successfully running multiple sessions with tons of 3rd party plugins on Catalina, I'm having trouble understanding why somebody would still be afraid to update, or really have any issues with updating in general. AFAIC Apple has taken good care of me since the first day I signed on to its hardware. And that includes getting rid of iTunes. Hallelujah!

Last edited by Ishkash; 3 weeks ago at 06:36 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

After successfully running multiple sessions with tons of 3rd party plugins on Catalina, I'm having trouble understanding why somebody would still be afraid to update
Hi Ishkash

Good to hear! What DAW are you using? LPX user here. Close to updating but Mojave has been rock-solid and I'm a bit spooked by all the emails received from various companies saying don't upgrade!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeka View Post
but Mojave has been rock-solid and I'm a bit spooked by all the emails received from various companies saying don't upgrade!
So why would you even think about updating? Mojave will be actively supported for almost 2 years to come.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm interested in voice control in the new OS. The less mousing I have to do, the better.

Also happy to see iTunes gone. Hate it.

Like the ability to add iPad as a (for me) third monitor.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
So why would you even think about updating? Mojave will be actively supported for almost 2 years to come.
Maybe he ordered the new MacBook Pro 16", like I did. After having done so I found out that my trick of clean installing Mojave on it after having received it will not be possible...

Very curious about what's in store for me when installing my software...

(Still, I am not terribly sad, to be quite honest)
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by demanmetdeneus View Post
Maybe he ordered the new MacBook Pro 16", like I did. After having done so I found out that my trick of clean installing Mojave on it after having received it will not be possible...

Very curious about what's in store for me when installing my software...

(Still, I am not terribly sad, to be quite honest)
That's the rub. An upgrade from Mojave to Catalina is one thing - some plugins may work via an upgrade, but not via a clean install.

Using Disk Utility, I created a new Catalina volume alongside my Mojave volume so I could perform test installs with ease on clean Catalina installation.

Sidecar is an awesome Catalina feature - it's really useful being able to edit plugin parameters on my iPad using touch.

Logic Pro X installed fine - no surprises there.

After successfully installing the Isotope Product Portal, the Ozone 8 Advanced install failed at about 90% with the message "Bad CPU type in executable".

Waves 9 Offline Installer failed with the message "The selected offline installer is compatible with Mac OS 10.10 and higher. You are attempting to install to an older operating system." Guess I'm going to have to pony up for a Waves Update Plan renewal at some stage...

Izotope haven't announced Catalina Compatibility yet, and I'm hoping I'm not forced to upgrade to Ozone 9 for this.

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us...-Compatibility

JLo
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
still no update from Apogee for Symphony MkII thunderbolt users with Catalina. Come on, Apogee - I would have expected it to be ready immediately after Catalina's release, especially considering Apogee & Apple's partnership. Also, it would have been nice to receive an email from Apogee letting users know not to upgrade OS yet.

Generally, I've been very happy with Apogee but this has been quite disappointing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeka View Post
I'm interested in voice control in the new OS. The less mousing I have to do, the better.
Perhaps you could mix my new song with your voice controlled computer.

the chorus goes:

"Select All! Delete! Empty Trash!
(say it again, y'all)
Select All! Delete! Empty Trash!
(yeah yeah yeah)"
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Perhaps you could mix my new song with your voice controlled computer.

the chorus goes:

"Select All! Delete! Empty Trash!
(say it again, y'all)
Select All! Delete! Empty Trash!
(yeah yeah yeah)"
Unfortunately, that word flow won't work, unless Catalina allows you to empty the trash without any safety queries.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
Unfortunately, that word flow won't work, unless Catalina allows you to empty the trash without any safety queries.
you mean if I have a voice-controlled OS, and I say "Empty Trash" I still have to click on the blue button that says "Empty Trash" with my mouse?

What if the lyrics said: "Empty Trash, Empty Trash"?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
you mean if I have a voice-controlled OS, and I say "Empty Trash" I still have to click on the blue button that says "Empty Trash" with my mouse?
No idea, but your lyrics may as well turn into:
"Select All! Delete! Empty Trash! - Really empty Trash? - Yes please!
(say it again, y'all)
"Select All! Delete! Empty Trash! - Really empty Trash? - Yes please!
(yeah yeah yeah)"

So you might have to add another measure or two to suit the wordflow.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loader View Post
That's the rub. An upgrade from Mojave to Catalina is one thing - some plugins may work via an upgrade, but not via a clean install.
How about using the 'import data from another Mac' function? I can do a clean install later on maybe?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Would "rm -rf /" work, since macOS is *nix based? It's a bit of a mouthful though.

On a different more serious topic, we've updated our macOS Catalina statement to reflect the newly-released SampleTank 4.0.9 is Catalina compatible.

Last edited by Peter - IK; 3 weeks ago at 07:45 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by demanmetdeneus View Post
How about using the 'import data from another Mac' function? I can do a clean install later on maybe?
You could try it...but my experience of Migration Assistant has been somewhat hit and miss. That’s why I prefer a clean install, then install my apps one by one and check for issues, once I get to a stable base with all my audio device drivers, plugs, apps etc. I take an image snapshot using Carbon Copy Cloner to an SSD so I can restore to a known good state quickly...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJoe View Post
I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you to understand; you are talking to a whole bunch of people in this thread who do not rely on 32-bit software anymore, because we've moved forward and want to keep our systems up to date.

We don't care that you're losing your 32-bit plug-ins. Your option is to stay on your current macOS.
32-bit software ≠ 32-bit plug-ins (in this context)

Stop pretending losing 32-bit plug-ins is a), new; and b), is related to Catalina dropping 32-bit support. The only new about this is losing the ability to use a bridge.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
32-bit software ≠ 32-bit plug-ins (in this context)

Stop pretending losing 32-bit plug-ins is a), new; and b), is related to Catalina dropping 32-bit support. The only new about this is losing the ability to use a bridge.
I'm aware of this. The person I was responding to seems to be on an older version of macOS and was bitching about losing 32-bit software he still uses. And he was mentioning older versions of some Native Instruments stuff.

Catalina = no more 32-bit anything. So he may be losing plugins and software if he updates, and that's what I was responding to. I don't know exactly what his setup is, so I don't know the particulars of whether he means plugins or software (DAWs).
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I can't my V9 plugins to work in Catalina, Waves says it won't work.. I have to have update plan... Im nor sure about paying another 300 euro again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loader View Post

Using Disk Utility, I created a new Catalina volume alongside my Mojave volume so I could perform test installs with ease on clean Catalina installation.

Sidecar is an awesome Catalina feature - it's really useful being able to edit plugin parameters on my iPad using touch.

Logic Pro X installed fine - no surprises there.

After successfully installing the Isotope Product Portal, the Ozone 8 Advanced install failed at about 90% with the message "Bad CPU type in executable".

Waves 9 Offline Installer failed with the message "The selected offline installer is compatible with Mac OS 10.10 and higher. You are attempting to install to an older operating system." Guess I'm going to have to pony up for a Waves Update Plan renewal at some stage...

Izotope haven't announced Catalina Compatibility yet, and I'm hoping I'm not forced to upgrade to Ozone 9 for this.

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us...-Compatibility

JLo
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Picked up a 16” i9 MBP today. Installed Office suite but that’s it so far
Sidecar with my iPad Pro is awesome.
Hoping that the Apple Pencil will be a good input device for Indesign. Not sure whether it will be any use for plugins or Cubase.
But will certainly help having the two monitors having moved from a 27” monitor down to a 16”+13”.

PS. While obviously lacking in the bass department I found the speakers were really nice to listen to. I started playing a set of Frank Hellmond on soundcloud and was surprised that half an hour later I still had it playing. Normally I find computer speakers unbearable, but these were actually quite pleasant to listen to. I think they might even be useful as an alternate view when mixing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Jones Sr View Post
Can anyone confirm whether an upgrade to Catalina from Mojave/High Sierra will retain Waves v9 working? I mean instead of a clean install of v9 which appears to be having a problem with the installer. It would be a showstopper for me if the v9 doesn’t run at all, really don’t want to pay another layer of plugin updates, but I am considering the MBP 16 here.
I cannot say either way, but that would seem unlikely.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Can anyone confirm whether an upgrade to Catalina from Mojave/High Sierra will retain Waves v9 working? I mean instead of a clean install of v9 which appears to be having a problem with the installer. It would be a showstopper for me if the v9 doesn’t run at all, really don’t want to pay another layer of plugin updates, but I am considering the MBP 16 here.
I wouldn't update if I were you. Or if you do, be ready to fork up the cash for WUP, or, like Mr. Mackey says..."not gonna have a good time", i.e., you're eventually going to have plugin problems (most likely).

To most enjoy the benefits of software, its good to be well-acquainted with the caveats.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm not sure where I read it, whether it was here in this thread or elsewhere, but someone posted specifically that they could not get V9 to work in Catalina.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Native Instruments seems all go for Catalina today
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Sidecar

How have you been using sidecar? Is it usable for changing plugins and essentially a complete mobile computer? I am absolutely stoked for this but have hesitated on updating due to plugin concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Picked up a 16” i9 MBP today. Installed Office suite but that’s it so far
Sidecar with my iPad Pro is awesome.
Hoping that the Apple Pencil will be a good input device for Indesign. Not sure whether it will be any use for plugins or Cubase.
But will certainly help having the two monitors having moved from a 27” monitor down to a 16”+13”.

PS. While obviously lacking in the bass department I found the speakers were really nice to listen to. I started playing a set of Frank Hellmond on soundcloud and was surprised that half an hour later I still had it playing. Normally I find computer speakers unbearable, but these were actually quite pleasant to listen to. I think they might even be useful as an alternate view when mixing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’ve only had the new MBP a couple of days and haven’t gotten around to installing (or attempting to instal) any music software yet. But I connected the MBP and iPP with a usbc cable and switched on Sidecar. It worked really well. The pencil works too. The 16” screen with a little 13” screen seems to be a great mobile solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearinUp View Post
How have you been using sidecar? Is it usable for changing plugins and essentially a complete mobile computer? I am absolutely stoked for this but have hesitated on updating due to plugin concerns.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search