The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Reliable tuner for synth bass
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Here for the gear
Reliable tuner for synth bass

Hello

I was wondering what are peeps using.

Let's say you have made your own bass patch/sound on your hardware or software synth and now you need to verify that it actually produces C major note.

What hardware tuner or software tuner plugin are you using to accurately tune your own homemade synthesizer bass patch/sounds or to verify that it actually is a C major note.

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Gear Head
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioman_id View Post
Hello

I was wondering what are peeps using.

Let's say you have made your own bass patch/sound on your hardware or software synth and now you need to verify that it actually produces C major note.

What hardware tuner or software tuner plugin are you using to accurately tune your own homemade synthesizer bass patch/sounds or to verify that it actually is a C major note.

Thanks
The built in one in Logic. I'm sure most DAWs have them.

Determining the fundamental is not rocket science.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Addict
I am using a really great strobe tuner on my iPhone called iStrobeSoft.

Strobe tuners are the most accurate and this one is really good. I tune my guitars bass and synths in seconds and it is super accurate. I just put it on the desk in front of me no need to plug it in but is even better if you get a line into it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumbaguk View Post
The built in one in Logic. I'm sure most DAWs have them.

Determining the fundamental is not rocket science.
I use Cubase 10 Pro and the tuner works on a guitar or bass plugged
into my soundcard. But a synth bass is a completely different animal.
It never moves from the minus cent range an the strobe version
I have abandoned altogether for this purpose.

Programming your own synth bass sound is a completely different animal
than pluging your unbalanced bass guitar output into a tuner.

We are dealing with multiple oscillators that produce lovely bass sounds,
however it doesn’t stop at hitting C major key and expect it to give
you C major by default. It won’t. Unless I do some tuning to get that
correct pitch that will sit in the track otherwise forget it.

So I really wonder what people use for this purpose.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Gear Head
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioman_id View Post
I use Cubase 10 Pro and the tuner works on a guitar or bass plugged
into my soundcard. But a synth bass is a completely different animal.
It never moves from the minus cent range an the strobe version
I have abandoned altogether for this purpose.

Programming your own synth bass sound is a completely different animal
than pluging your unbalanced bass guitar output into a tuner.

We are dealing with multiple oscillators that produce lovely bass sounds,
however it doesn’t stop at hitting C major key and expect it to give
you C major by default. It won’t. Unless I do some tuning to get that
correct pitch that will sit in the track otherwise forget it.

So I really wonder what people use for this purpose.
I see what you're getting at if there is lots of modulation it might be hard for the tuner to follow.

An instruments pitch is determined by the loudest fundamental though so it doesn't matter how many oscillators you have going just like it doesn't when you strum multiple strings on a guitar through a tuner.

Could you try dialing back the modulation so just hearing the notes while tuning and then dial it back in? Maybe also adjust the attack and release so that the tone is articulated quickly and grabbed correctly by the tuner??

Neither of those parameters would effect the fundamental once dialed back in if my understanding is correct
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumbaguk View Post
I see what you're getting at if there is lots of modulation it might be hard for the tuner to follow.

An instruments pitch is determined by the loudest fundamental though so it doesn't matter how many oscillators you have going just like it doesn't when you strum multiple strings on a guitar through a tuner.

Could you try dialing back the modulation so just hearing the notes while tuning and then dial it back in? Maybe also adjust the attack and release so that the tone is articulated quickly and grabbed correctly by the tuner??

Neither of those parameters would effect the fundamental once dialed back in if my understanding is correct
Good point, with the attack and release.


Setting the release to 0 or 1 to get the short pluck.

Will try that!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Gear Addict
If you cannot tune using a strobe tuner because of some whacky harmonic stuff going on then just use a tone from another synth and tune it by ear. Or a tuning fork. Basic music skills like.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump