The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best Single Channel Converter??
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Best Single Channel Converter??

Hello, One topic i’m not very informed on is converters. I want to upgrade my converter from an Apollo Twin to something better or higher quality. Currently my signal chain is a Neumann TLM 49 > BAE 1073 Pre > WA1176 > WA2A > Apollo Twin into Pro tools. I’m not to sure but i’m amusing they make single channel converters without the other interface aspects if i’m not mistaken? If so what are some good high quality converters that solely push info into pro tools. Thank You Again!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Stereo converters yes; not single channel.

But what is the problem with the twin?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Stereo converters yes; not single channel.

But what is the problem with the twin?
oh so there is no type of equipment that is solely dedicated to concerting your signal flow into pro tools at a higher quality? the apollo is not bad but i’ve heard there is better ways to convert ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignFaraz View Post
oh so there is no type of equipment that is solely dedicated to concerting your signal flow into pro tools at a higher quality? the apollo is not bad but i’ve heard there is better ways to convert ?
Sure - stereo converters.

I would suggest you’ve been reading more than you’ve been using. The Apollo is far better than “not bad”. You’d have to spend another $2-3k IMO to get “substantially better”. And even then you might not notice a difference.

Converters even on budget gear these days are very good. The Apollo is not budget gear. Chances are, there’s something in your setup you could spend $2-3k on to make a massive difference.

Converters are very rarely the weak link in a chain. FWIW the Twin is the #1 choice of travelling producers - you’d be surprised how many pop vocals are cut using them only, no external preamps or anything!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Sure - stereo converters.

I would suggest you’ve been reading more than you’ve been using. The Apollo is far better than “not bad”. You’d have to spend another $2-3k IMO to get “substantially better”. And even then you might not notice a difference.

Converters even on budget gear these days are very good. The Apollo is not budget gear. Chances are, there’s something in your setup you could spend $2-3k on to make a massive difference.

Converters are very rarely the weak link in a chain. FWIW the Twin is the #1 choice of travelling producers - you’d be surprised how many pop vocals are cut using them only, no external preamps or anything!

What do you recommend i change for a massive difference in quality from my signal chain listed above ? I record Hip Hop and Rap Vocals and i’m tracking with all of that equipment !
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
What do you recommend i change for a massive difference in quality from my signal chain listed above ? I record Hip Hop and Rap Vocals and i’m tracking with all of that equipment !
What do you have a problem with in your current sound? What do you struggle with? Where do you feel your weak link is?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Don't blame the gear.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
What do you have a problem with in your current sound? What do you struggle with? Where do you feel your weak link is?

I feel as if the vocals are muddy going in and i’m over compensating with plugins to fix it !
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I feel as if the vocals are muddy going in and i’m over compensating with plugins to fix it !
What size of room are you recording in? Mud could be too much room sound being picked up, or proximity effect - being too close to the mic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Your problem is not conversion then!

Room and/or technique are the primary culprits.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search