The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
most customizable and flexible midi keyboard
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
most customizable and flexible midi keyboard

Hi all,

I have reached a point where my current controller is not able to accomplish what I want, and this is mostly because I made the mistake to buy a midi keyboard that was not flexible enough for what I wanted to do.

So long story short, I am looking at a new 49 keys probably; which should be as customizable as possible.
As DAW I use Studio one, Logic and sometimes Cubase; I am looking for a keyboard that not only has knobs and a row of buttons, but that allow me to have multiple banks of controls that I can use with the different DAWs to change VST parameters.

Also it should support transport, and some major DAW features, like create tracks, browse between tracks, instruments and presets; and that offer enough flexibility to be reconfigured with different applications, wihout being tied to one.

To give an idea, I would like something like a Maschine controller, as far as integration and customization, but with keys so I can play it as midi keyboard.

Got the Akai Advance; which allow you to use the 8 knobs , 8 pads and 8 buttons in midi mode; plus 4 buttons for transport, but nothing more. Most of my VST require more than 8 knobs, and sadly you can't have pages of controls. The alternative is to use VIP software, but that is solving the VST problem, while you can't browse or navigate in the DAW because the arrows and the rotary knob does not work

Was looking at novation, but they are focus on Ableton, and the other brand I did check briefly was Nectar, although I am not that knowledgeable about their products. Last but not least, Arturia, but they also have not clearly stated the extent of the customization for their midi keyboards.

Native instruments is not even in the pack; since they have so few controls and they are not even able to function as configurable midi keyboard from what I read, that defy the purpose of getting a new midi keyboard.

Based on your experience, and based on your knowledge of Logic and Studio one, what would you suggest as all round keyboard/controller, for working as possible directly on the keyboard and touch as little as possible, the mouse and keyboard?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Nektar keyboards are compatible with S1.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Don't know about custimization but this appears to be really flexible
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

check out the maudio code49.

i like the feel of the keys and you can customise it until dooms day and beyond.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search