The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Converter loop test, which sample do you prefer...
Old 3 weeks ago
Converter loop test, which sample do you prefer...

One stayed in the box and one has been through one ad/da loop. Which one do you prefer and why?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nrV...w?usp=drivesdk

Thx
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianjackson View Post
One stayed in the box and one has been through one ad/da loop. Which one do you prefer and why?
there seems to be only one file at the linked location. Did you link to the wrong thing?

Are you interested in the quality of your converters or are you looking for meaningful differences in the two processes? I would say if you want to know the difference, you could import both files into the same session, line them up sample accurate and reverse polarity on one of them. Whatever you hear then is the exact difference between the files.

It might tell you a lot.

But if it doesn't tell you much, that probably means the difference is not worth worrying about.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
there seems to be only one file at the linked location. Did you link to the wrong thing?

Are you interested in the quality of your converters or are you looking for meaningful differences in the two processes? I would say if you want to know the difference, you could import both files into the same session, line them up sample accurate and reverse polarity on one of them. Whatever you hear then is the exact difference between the files.

It might tell you a lot.

But if it doesn't tell you much, that probably means the difference is not worth worrying about.
Thanks for listening and It’s actually two passes of the same loop if you listen closely, so I guess you didn’t notice the difference lol. Which means if doesn’t matter much. But listen again closer. They are level matched. But yes, I did all of the tests you mentioned.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Second one seemed more interesting, like a really subtle increase in color. I'm guessing this the DA/AD.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
Second one seemed more interesting, like a really subtle increase in color. I'm guessing this the DA/AD.
The second one is the “sound” of Apogee’s Element 24 converters. The specs say they are the same converters used in the Ensemble Thunderbolt.

I was interested in upgrading but first wanted to see how they hold up. I need more I/O but I also want something ‘transparent’. Do you like the sound of them?

Personally I think they may lose a hair of punch and the highs offer a kind of relaxed tape-ish sound.

But obviously what outboard goes in between will make a difference.

As I said I need more I/O. I’m debating on going the UAD route as I hear they offer a bit more of a ‘forward sound’. Really I just want transparency. We’ll see how things go with Apogee as I’m waiting on a couple toys to audition them thru.

Last edited by corianjackson; 3 weeks ago at 09:48 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
I've never heard a drumtrack and thought, damn that must have been good converters..
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradovic View Post
I've never heard a drumtrack and thought, damn that must have been good converters..
True but doing multiple A/D D/A conversions and need more I/O
Old 3 weeks ago
The outboard gear you’re presumably running the converted signal into and back out of is going to color the signal a lot more than the conversion, which is why I think this doesn’t really matter.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianjackson View Post
The second one is the “sound” of Apogee’s Element 24 converters. The specs say they are the same converters used in the Ensemble Thunderbolt.

I was interested in upgrading but first wanted to see how they hold up. I need more I/O but I also want something ‘transparent’. Do you like the sound of them?

Personally I think they may lose a hair of punch and the highs offer a kind of relaxed tape-ish sound.

But obviously what outboard goes in between will make a difference.

As I said I need more I/O. I’m debating on going the UAD route as I hear they offer a bit more of a ‘forward sound’. Really I just want transparency. We’ll see how things go with Apogee as I’m waiting on a couple toys to audition them thru.
I haven't used the newest iteration of UAD interfaces, but I've generally liked Apogee better. The clip sounded like a lot of loopbacks I've heard, but maybe I can hear some subtle Apogee thing going on. I think it sounds pretty good, but for less colored there is RME, Mytek and Prism.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradovic View Post

and certainly not a drum machine

if this was my project, and I needed to go out of the computer to have some hardware kiss my synthetic drums, I literally would not think twice about it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search