The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is Antelope Audio driver still bad?
Old 5th September 2019
Here for the gear

Is Antelope Audio driver still bad?

Hi, the new Antelope Discrete 8 Synergy Core is very tempting. I want to get one but I’ve frequently heard that their driver/software is pretty unstable compared to UA’s.

If I’m getting a UA, it would be Apollo Twin QUAD ($1200). I’m not pretty into their plugins, yet, as I’ve had some of the best plugins to work with. The newer discrete 8 is $1400. It has more pres and better specs, most of the time I don’t need more than 2 pres, because I do more mixing than recording nowadays, but who knows, it’s better to have more pres collecting dust than not have them when you need them.

If now Antelope’s driver can be as good as UA’s (or not that bad), I’m more towards to the discrete. I’ve heard the UA’s driver is even more stable than Apogee’s. Ive been using RME babyface pro for a few years. No complaints about their driver at all.

Thanks!
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Nut

Curious too!
Old 6th September 2019
Here for the gear

Hey! Here's a quick cautionary tale, before you jump in .

I'm using the standard Discrete 8, have been for a year now.
I've had many different issues with the driver, from disconnecting randomly to not being able to handle lower buffer sizes, to not following sampling frequency switches (clicks on output instead of audio), giving me huge CPU spikes that make Pro Tools bug out etc.

I'm trying to get some support ATM but so far I've had a rather disheartening experience with it.

The unit itself, when it works, is pretty awesome and sounds great.
I'm using it via USB so maybe it's a bit better through TB?

Overall, I'm seriously considering switching to Apollo or something else that's rock solid.

Also, their FPGA FXs are just a bit weird. They kinda work, some units better than others. The gain staging just doesn't seem to make sense (when comparing similar settings to actual hardware units), the visual cues are sometimes completely off => for example : on their version of the Distressor you just can't trust the GR meter, it might be showing something but definitely not the actual gain reduction.

Really sad because I so much want to use their stuff on everything, it really sounds awesome.

The issues, bugs and instability has cost me a lot of nerve and time, especially on more time sensitive projects (are there any out there that aren't? ).

If the stability improves and the customer service starts actually helping people, those interfaces will be an amazing choice. But I wouldn't recommend it before that happens.
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresix View Post
Mac or Windows and what version OS?
Old 6th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresix View Post
Hey! Here's a quick cautionary tale, before you jump in .

I'm using the standard Discrete 8, have been for a year now.
I've had many different issues with the driver, from disconnecting randomly to not being able to handle lower buffer sizes, to not following sampling frequency switches (clicks on output instead of audio), giving me huge CPU spikes that make Pro Tools bug out etc.

I'm trying to get some support ATM but so far I've had a rather disheartening experience with it.

The unit itself, when it works, is pretty awesome and sounds great.

Overall, I'm seriously considering switching to Apollo or something else that's rock solid.

Also, their FPGA FXs are just a bit weird. They kinda work, some units better than others. The gain staging just doesn't seem to make sense (when comparing similar settings to actual hardware units), the visual cues are sometimes completely off => for example : on their version of the Distressor you just can't trust the GR meter, it might be showing something but definitely not the actual gain reduction.

Really sad because I so much want to use their stuff on everything, it really sounds awesome.

The issues, bugs and instability has cost me a lot of nerve and time, especially on more time sensitive projects (are there any out there that aren't? ).

If the stability improves and the customer service starts actually helping people, those interfaces will be an amazing choice. But I wouldn't recommend it before that happens.
Thanks. That’s what I’m worried about. The specs look very intriguing and I’ve seen good words about how it sounded, the mic pres, and the converters. However, the software side is quite the opposite. If an audio interface is unstable, the specs don’t really matter.
Old 7th September 2019
Lives for gear

i don't use any Mac Drivers for my Antelope interfaces - Antelope Interfaces are all Mac Core Audio - so no drivers are needed on the Mac side the interface just shows up in your DAW when its plugged in.
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Nut

in short, YES
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Maniac

FWIW I’ve used the Orion 32+ for years, and the Orion 32 first gen before that. Things were unstable for a bit when the first gen was released, but it’s been solid for me for a very long time. Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but I’ve never understood all the hate for Antelope Audio in this forum. I’m using it on Mac, btw, thunderbolt 2 connection.
Old 9th September 2019
Here for the gear

The operation itself is actually pretty ok and stable, as long as I'm not below 128 buffer size. 64 and 32 samples always eventually lead to drop outs and errors.

As you guys can imagine though, 128 is not really ideal for software monitored recording situation .

I'm on a Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2010) using High Sierra, through USB.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Nut
Why would anyone spend so much money on this brand, when the performance is not up to par with RME?

why?
Old 9th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafa View Post
Why would anyone spend so much money on this brand, when the performance is not up to par with RME?

why?
The specs do look pretty intriguing on paper... almost on par with Apollo x8p. Anyway I now think it’s cheaper for a reason.
Old 10th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafa View Post

why?
32 channels in/out for $1200 new on a deal they had when the first gen Antelope Orion 32 were being discontinued. Thats why I bought it, and while there is some room for expansion most of the inputs are already used so it was the cheapest options for the I/O I wanted. This way its able to multi track a number of synthesizers and a drum machine (with every sound on individual output), along with stereo effect units, without needing to unplug something to add a new sound.

My experience: the mixer program to re-arrange the internal routing and do mixing without a DAW is next to impossible to open on the first try and very unstable. However, for the studio needs I never need to open this once I configured it to my needs. I have it configured so its a raw in/out for each channel with no direct input monitoring. It is incredibly stable and opens without issue every time when paired with Ableton 10 Suite on a MacBook Air 2017.

If you're the type of person to use an interface's mixing tool, I would stay away, but connecting to a DAW is stable enough. The sound quality of the Orion 32 is on par with new RME or Lynx IMO.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

User of Orion32 1st Gen here.
I had some small issues before but I dont have any for years.
Sometimes, after plugging, OSX does not recognize the orion.
After restart no problem.
It is quite rock solid.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search