The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need Guitar USB Interface that can handle Low Audio Buffer
Old 4th September 2019
Here for the gear

Need Guitar USB Interface that can handle Low Audio Buffer

Hi,

I recently purchased a Berhringer U-Phoria UMC202HD. I am using it to record and put through BIAS FX2.

It sounded good but the default settings for the buffer was a huge delay. Unfortunately, whenever I lower the audio buffer size below 512, when I play it sounds like a record with scratches, it just stutters and cuts in and out. My p.c. is a powerhouse so I know it isn't the cpu. I9, rtx 2080ti, etc.

I want to be able to practice over this though so I need the low audio buffer to work. Otherwise the delay is just way too much.

Does anyone have any recommendations on one they know can handle a low buffer? My budget is 250.00.

It only needs 1 input, for electric guitar. I don't plan on using other instruments or microphones and I don't need effects either aside from probably output volume as that's why I have BIAS FX2.

Thank you very much,
Old 10th September 2019
Here for the gear

I've used a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 at a low buffer setting and had no discernible latency while monitoring and I didn't encounter any audio artifacts.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillytouch View Post
Hi,

I recently purchased a Berhringer U-Phoria UMC202HD. I am using it to record and put through BIAS FX2.

It sounded good but the default settings for the buffer was a huge delay. Unfortunately, whenever I lower the audio buffer size below 512, when I play it sounds like a record with scratches, it just stutters and cuts in and out. My p.c. is a powerhouse so I know it isn't the cpu. I9, rtx 2080ti, etc.

I want to be able to practice over this though so I need the low audio buffer to work. Otherwise the delay is just way too much.

Does anyone have any recommendations on one they know can handle a low buffer? My budget is 250.00.

It only needs 1 input, for electric guitar. I don't plan on using other instruments or microphones and I don't need effects either aside from probably output volume as that's why I have BIAS FX2.

Thank you very much,
I run the Behringer UMC 1820 on my laptop with a buffer size of 64 samples. It works if I disable the ethernet driver, otherwise I get dropouts.

I reckon the driver is basically the same for the 202HD so I don't think it is the root cause of your troubles.

I have the same experience on many systems for the last 10 years or so. Many bad drivers, especially for ethernet, bluetooth and wifi. They can cause a lot of problems.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Addict

BTW I also DO have problems with the Behringer driver. If I power it up when it is already connected I always get the warning that the device is not recognized. This can also happen if I switch from ADAT to SPDIFF or vice versa.
In spite of this warning it will work normally.
BUT it keeps changing the name of the MIDI input. It adds a number in front of the name. That is a big PITA.
Any sensible DAW or MIDI application uses the name of a MIDI port to recognize it. So then my setups don't work anymore because the MIDI port is not found.

It is driving me nuts to be honest. Now I stick to a very precise sequence of actions when I turn everything on. For 90% of the time it works. Sometimes it still fails.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

I have a friend who has one of the Behringer interfaces. He runs it at lower buffers with no problem.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Head

Have you tried running LatencyMon to see if it thinks your PC is good?

Are you switching your power profile to "High Performance"?

I don't have any experience with this particular interface but IMO 256 is the highest buffer that is really usable, for me, so I'd be extremely surprised if this equipment would be very popular at all if that's the best it can do in a typical setup.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Addict

RME and MOTU smoke the competition over usb. 64 buffer is no problem.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
RME and MOTU smoke the competition over usb. 64 buffer is no problem.
I've used a recent Motu, and didn't see any improvement in this regard over my Steinberg interface. And actually the Steinberg drivers seemed more stable (I use pc, if that matters). I sold the Motu and repurchased a Steinberg.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
It's not only the AI and drivers that make low stable latency.
The computer has a large influance here to.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search