The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which Processor is best for Cubase.? Core 2 Duo or a Xenon Processor (socket 775)
Old 6th June 2007
Gear addict

Which Processor is best for Cubase.? Core 2 Duo or a Xenon Processor (socket 775)

Which Processor is best for Cubase.? Core 2 Duo or a Xenon Processor (socket 775)...

I am Trying to put together a monster DAW PC...8 Gigs Ram, ASUS Commando Motherboard (has 4 pci slots) , and 4 UAD-1 cards...

I am between a Core 2 duo processor
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

or the equivilent Xenon server processor...Intel Xeon 3060 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX805573060

is there a Difference 4 running Cubase? Which one you Reccomend?

I'm Stumped!!!!HELP GEARSLUTZ!!!!!
Old 6th June 2007
Lives for gear

DOH

a Core 2 Duo and 3xxx Xeons are the exact same thing!

dont be fooled by the marketing

Scott
ADK
Old 6th June 2007
Gear addict

processors...

I Know that...

BUT , The new Mac g5's use Xenon server processors, so I thought there might be some slight difference or something...

I heard a rumor that the Xenon ones were the "best of the batch"...

Hey, it's only 12.00 more!! What could it hurt?

Thoughts???
Old 6th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie c View Post
Hey, it's only 12.00 more!! What could it hurt?

Thoughts???
My thoughts: Anytime I am spending multiple thousands of dollars I am not arsed over 12$. Pay the extra 12$ and never look back. I take a crap at work and make 12$.
Old 7th June 2007
Gear Maniac

"I take a crap at work and make 12$" haha, that is great!

Now back on topic... If you can hold out until July the intel Quad is going to drop to $266. The quad was going for $900 this past February and apparently the quad is really nice in a DAW.
Old 7th June 2007
Gear addict

Quad...

Really????

The quad core will Drop ?

Will the qual work with cubase SX3?

Old 7th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Really????
Yes
Quote:
The quad core will Drop ?
Yes
Quote:
Will the qual work with cubase SX3?

Yes

I plan to upgrade my dual core in July and I just got it
Old 7th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
My thoughts: Anytime I am spending multiple thousands of dollars I am not arsed over 12$. Pay the extra 12$ and never look back. I take a crap at work and make 12$.
you see you understand, taking i crap at work is the best. you get paid to do it.

as for the processor it's not even a question. get the xeon and pay the extra cash.
Old 8th June 2007
Gear addict

Xenon Quad

Well,

Now that the Quad core is comming out in July, I'm gonna wait. I will start getting all the other parts now, and finish up in July..

Thanks for the help!!! I appreciate it!!!

What do u slutz think? 8 gigs of RAM and a Quad core Should run the ol Cubase Nicely eh?

i'm such a gear junkie..
Old 8th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What do u slutz think? 8 gigs of RAM and a Quad core Should run the ol Cubase Nicely eh?
What OS do you plan on running?
Old 8th June 2007
Gear addict

OS

U know what? I totally forgot there is a RAM limit...

I was gonna run XP pRO 32 bit , but the max is 4 GB....

Then I was thinkin of goin 64 bit XP pro, fine for Cubase and the UAD plugs, BUT , all the rest of my plugs and virtural insts are 32 bit...

SO......

I guess 32 bit XP pro and 4 Gigs of RAM and the Quad will have to do!!!!

I think thats the most painless option....(plus i'm still runnin an old MBOX)

Thoughts?
Old 25th January 2008
Gear Head

macs ship with the xeon because you can use motherboards with more than one socket (smp)... so you could have two processors, 8 cores, if you wanted.

Xeons often seem to be ahead on bus speed, too... but on server/workstation boards.
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear
The same old computer rules apply...

Buy just what you need now. If you buy top-of-the-line CPU, you get 15% extra MIPS/Benchmark for 300% more money and bragging rights for 60 days.

Buy with a little thrift and buy again in 18 months at the same price bracket (3 steps down from TOL), if you need to. You will get more average power over the 3 year period for same money, as well as an off-ramp if everything is going great.

This was true with 486, Pentium, P-II, P-III, etc. CPU is rarely the bottleneck. It used to be disk i/o, then it was bus multiplier, then peripheral i/o, now it's 4GB RAM limit and how fast cores talk to each other and shared L2. A balanced high-quality system that NEVER EVER crashes is the best computer.

At least you are thinking right and optimizing for your single most-demanding application.

I like a little extra silence and at least a nod to power efficiency.

Pick your price-point.

Best wishes.

Look a 2-year dead thread!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search