The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
VST Host help needed (Windows 10)
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

VST Host help needed (Windows 10)

Goal: run a single VST (SpaceCraft) in a minimal host on a tablet (Acer Switch) running Windows 10.
Objective - be able to hear the internally-generated sounds as well as route audio into the VST Host for sampling purposes and control it via MIDI.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I also have a Presonus Studio 2|4 box connected via USB that provides 2 channels of input, 2 channels of output and MIDI.
(Note: - it is also possible that I may have mis-configured/not installed all the drivers from the Presonus after setting up this tablet. I'll update after verifying this later today)

What I've tried:
Loading SC into various hosts as an effect --
SAVIHost (completely locks up (VST 3 version) or kind of sometimes plays a bit before locking up (VST 2))
Cantabile Lite (plays the internal sounds, cannot get audio routed into the host)
VPlayer2 (same - plays SC fine, cannot get audio routed into it).

I've loaded and tried various other stuff to facilitate the routing (ASIO4All, Virtual Audio Cable, Synchronous Audio Router, probably a few others) with no success.

I don't mind paying for a host that does this, but I don't want to load a full DAW if at all possible. I don't need multiple channels/tracks/instances. The goal is to keep the hosting footprint small and give the majority of the system resources to the VST.

FWIW, I got this working fine on the Mac Mini in about 15 minutes with a few tips from folks, but I'd rather have a dedicated tablet closer to the synths if at all possible.
I've been writing code for 30+ years so I don't mind pulling stuff down from GitHub and building if necessary.
Looked through some threads here, but they're old or suggest solutions that I've tried.

Last edited by oldgearguy; 4 days ago at 10:54 AM..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
The moment you mentioned "sampling the audio"... I feel you should use a low CPU DAW, with a blank template for efficiency.

Reaper sounds like the way to go. Unlimited free-trial... low entry cost for the license... and I hear it's very CPU friendly.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
The moment you mentioned "sampling the audio"... I feel you should use a low CPU DAW, with a blank template for efficiency.

Reaper sounds like the way to go. Unlimited free-trial... low entry cost for the license... and I hear it's very CPU friendly.
Fair enough. I'm willing to accept any solution that works at this point.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

So, thanks to some suggestions, I got it all working.
Cantabile + Presonus ASIO - Studio ASB ASIO Driver + scrub all the other junk off the computer.

In the Windows 10 Sound Settings, used the Speakers (RealTek) for output and Stereo Mix(again Realtek).
Used Defaults for System Sounds and Virtual 1/2 (Studio 24).
In Cantabile Audio ports defined lineInput stereo pair and mapped them to Input 1 and 2
Defined Studio 24 Out as a stereo pair and mapped them to Main Out L/R.

So now all Windows audio seems to go through the Studio 24 device and I have a dedicated machine to the task.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
gig performer is better than cantabile in my opinion but they are both good
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
gig performer is better than cantabile in my opinion but they are both good
Thanks for that reference. For some reason that never showed up in my initial searches
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search