The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best Mac available for audio today
Old 3 days ago
Best Mac available for audio today

I'm am looking at buying a new Mac ASAP and looking for the best upgrade possible right now. I don't think the new Mac Pro will work for me because I think a properly spec'd one would be > 10k which is a little too much $.

My current DAWs are S1Pro 4.6 or Pro Tools 2019.6 My current computer is a MacPro Trashcan 6.1 w/ 64GB, 2 TB. It's GeekBench scores are a pathetic
3375 single core, 27668 multi. I do a lot of mixing and use some heavy plugs
I find 1 heavy plugin in a big session (IK Multimedia Tape or just about any Acustica plugin) will cause spikes in a session and make it impossible to complete the mix without choosing a less heavy alternative plugin. I also find neither S1 or PT are very good at spreading out core usage so single core power / speed is very important.

Unfortunately, even though I don't need the screen and it would be somewhat a hinderance to my workflow, I'm viewing the IMac 27" Retina i9 3.6GHz 8 core
(Geekbench score 6273 single 34139 multi) or the IMac Pro 3GHz 10 core (Geekbench score 5345 single 36321 multi) as the most powerful / reasonably priced options.

I would love to get some opinions from the community. A couple quick notes
PC is out for me because I use a Thunderbolt interface and I'm actually pretty lost in Windows OS and I'm not a Hackintosh guy because I'm not in a position to troubleshoot from a time point of view.

So fire away....
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Just one little thing:

I don't think you'd need to spend 10k+ on the new Cheese Grater; the 8-core CPU that ships stock may provide a sufficient bump to your existing scores, and even if it doesn't, you could go up a notch to the 12C option.

No need to price 16+ cores IOW, IMHO. If you can wait a month results should start filtering through here as to how these machines fare for audio work.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician View Post
My current DAWs are S1Pro 4.6 or Pro Tools 2019.6 My current computer is a MacPro Trashcan 6.1 w/ 64GB, 2 TB. It's GeekBench scores are a pathetic
3375 single core, 27668 multi. ...
I would love to get some opinions from the community. ...
Your post using the word "pathetic" made me chuckle because the GS community has had this same conversation starting in January 2014. Your 2013 Mac Pro was "overkill" for audio at its inception. Just cut/paste the currently available Mac and PC product names, and you can re-live all of the angst, heartbreak, concern, victory and defeat of your new conundrum.

What's valuable in reading through that thread (link below) is a better emotional posture toward the history of the products, and the way things have turned out to bring us to this day.

[ Is the New Mac Pro Overkill for only Music Recording? ]
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
Your post using the word "pathetic" made me chuckle because the GS community has had this same conversation starting in January 2014. Your 2013 Mac Pro was "overkill" for audio at its inception. [/URL] ]
Excellent point we should all try to keep emotion out of this, as for me this is a strictly business decision, however tech keeps evolving and audio needs change based on technology growth especially as more folks move to all in the box as well well as less card based efx and more native, much more computing power is needed, also I’m not sure DAW programming is doing a great job of using multi core processors so figuring out the best computer config can be tricky. For example in some situations my 2015 2.7GHz i7 MacBook Pro can run certain mix sessions much more easily then my 12 core Mac Pro which also has 48 GB more ram, so just want to get as many opinions and experiences before making a move.

Would love to hear from some IMac Pro and 2019 IMac i9 users....
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

I love my iMac i9.
It's working great!
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbass View Post
I love my iMac i9.
It's working great!
If you don’t mind me asking, what DAW you use, what type of music? Lots of heavy plug use sand high track counts? Any noticeable heat related throttling??

Any details would be awesome
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician View Post
If you don’t mind me asking, what DAW you use, what type of music? Lots of heavy plug use sand high track counts? Any noticeable heat related throttling??

Any details would be awesome
I use Cubase, Reaper, Pro Tools and Logic.
Sometimes Samplitude in bootcamp.
Especially with Cubase it is a big difference compared to my i7 ( 4-core, 4GHZ).
Now it is a joy to use and it used to be very heavy on the cpu. Not anymore.

Not a high track count, but resource heavy plugins ( H-reverb, Waves Abbey Road, Ozone advanced, etc...).

I can do anything now with the lowest buffer ( 32 or 64).

No noticable throttling or fan noise while working in a daw.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Have you checked the 2018 Mac Mini?

What I need for live looping is far less stressful than what you got going on but it seems like a good machine for the money.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Guys I have a question. I’ve tried to make a new thread 5 times but I click post and it never posts.

I am considered the following setup.

MacBook Pro Mid 2015 ($1,000)
2.2 i7 intel quad core
16GB Ram
512 SSD

UAD Apollo Twin MKII Quad Thunderbolt interface

I am using this to track mix and master some local rap artists. Wouldn’t need to run any Virtual Instruments really. I would want to run UAD Unison with a preamp for tracking and some UAD plugins for mixing (within the DSP limitations of the Quad of course) The sessions will typically look like about 20-30 music tracks max with 20-30 vocal tracks with the normal bus and fx processing.

Do you think this setup will be able to handle these types of sessions without any CPU/RAM/Processing problems?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndridCold View Post
Guys I have a question. I’ve tried to make a new thread 5 times but I click post and it never posts.

I am considered the following setup.

MacBook Pro Mid 2015 ($1,000)
2.2 i7 intel quad core
16GB Ram
512 SSD

UAD Apollo Twin MKII Quad Thunderbolt interface
Thanks
I have pretty similar to this setup for my mobile rig and it will comfortably run 40-50 tracks with the type of plugs you refer to.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search