The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can't "merge folders" when backing up a drive
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Can't "merge folders" when backing up a drive

So this is not precisely a "Music Computers" topic, more just a "computers" topic -- and kind of a 101-level question at that, but....

I'm trying to update a project backup from one external USB working drive to another archive drive. The working drive has just one folder, named with the project title, and the backup has the same. This is on a Mac.

When I drag the working drive folder to the backup drive window, I would expect to see the option presented to either replace the "older" folder on the backup drive entirely, or to merge the contents of the two folders. Indeed, earlier on this process had been working fine just like that...I've been merging as I go.

But now, when I try to drag it over, I'm getting a message that the backup drive needs X amount of additional storage space to make the copy, with no option shown to replace or merge the folder. I.e. the machine doesn't seem to recognize that the target folder has exactly the same name as the incoming folder and is trying to copy the incoming folder as an entirely new entity. (And since the drive is more than half full it's telling me there's not enough space.)

Has anyone encountered this? Any workarounds that you can suggest?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search