The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Keep my Apollo Twin mk2 for 2bus mixes or upgrade conveters?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Keep my Apollo Twin mk2 for 2bus mixes or upgrade conveters?

As of now I’ve been strictly recording/mixing ITB with an Apollo Twin MK2 + Satellite and using an external Neve 1073>CL1B for recording. I’ve decided I want to start adding some analogue gear to my 2bus while mixing (Silver Bullet & Manley Compressor).
My question is since I only need two i/o’s on my interface for this, would I benefit much from upgrading to a “better” converter? Or maybe just a DAC and keep the Apollo for ADC? I mainly mix hip hop and Pop music if that helps.
Thanks!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I’m happy with my UA converters, but would also happily trade it for better.

What I will say is, if you swap your interface, I recommend getting more IO, you know, just in case this hardware experiment turns out to be more that a passing fancy.

Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
I’m happy with my UA converters, but would also happily trade it for better.

What I will say is, if you swap your interface, I recommend getting more IO, you know, just in case this hardware experiment turns out to be more that a passing fancy.

I was considering going for more IO but would rather spend the money and get 2 high quality I/O if it would make a drastic difference from the Apollo’s converters. For now I mainly want to have it for 2bus duties to add in some OTB feel.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Orion View Post
I was considering going for more IO but would rather spend the money and get 2 high quality I/O if it would make a drastic difference from the Apollo’s converters. For now I mainly want to have it for 2bus duties to add in some OTB feel.
Totally makes sense. Have fun with the SB and Manley. I look forward to trying the silver bullet some day. Haven’t heard a bad word about it.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
Totally makes sense. Have fun with the SB and Manley. I look forward to trying the silver bullet some day. Haven’t heard a bad word about it.
Thanks! Im excited to get it, just worried my Apollos converters wont do it justice. Was consider upgrading to the new apollo x8, found one used for 1600, but still consider just getting an amazing DA and going back into the apollos AD
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
So.... I would say absolutely 100% yes to outboard DAC for your new, shiny, signal chain.

However, if you're going to upgrade that, either go hard or go home bro.

RME UCX over here. I've expanded it with Apogee Rosetta 800 mod. Also a Burl B2 DAC.

I use the Burl DAC for the exact purpose that you're contemplating... to capture the sound of highend DA inside my DAW. It also starts my mixbus chain. (Unfortunately, I have my SSL 4000 clone on the 2bus at the moment... but will eventually replace it with a Neve Portico II bus comp.)

The sound of the Burl is more than noticeable. I do not want to finish a track without it anymore. It turns things into real music and was worth the upgrade. I can tell you however that Rosetta, although sonically fantastic, wouldn't have been enough to justify if I was buying it strictly for your purposes. It's worth extra channels of high quality audio... but if I were looking for 2 channels of it SOLELY for my 2bus... and I had open slots on my UCX, I'd stick with the UCX.

So... if you're going to feed those two units, and want the fed signal to be really really better than Apollo... you'd want to grab a truly highend DA conversion. You're really starting to spend money on yoru signal chain here lol, so it's not the most economical advice, I'm aware. BUT... it's my honest answer. If I were you, I'd grab the Burl B2 DAC and be done. Just route everything back into your Apollo converters and be done. Or.... spend another $1-2k on highend ADC lol (b/c why not?). At the end of the day... I personally care slightly more about the produced signal than I care about the recapture. Science has proven that the recapture can be done damn well... so I give more weight to units that can feed the mastering chain better. I have a very very tough time duplicating what the Burl DAC can do in the software realm. It feels impossible to me. I'm sure I'm just not good enough of a mix engineer.

Last edited by CPhoenix; 1 day ago at 08:32 PM..
Old 8 hours ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
So.... I would say absolutely 100% yes to outboard DAC for your new, shiny, signal chain.

However, if you're going to upgrade that, either go hard or go home bro.

RME UCX over here. I've expanded it with Apogee Rosetta 800 mod. Also a Burl B2 DAC.

I use the Burl DAC for the exact purpose that you're contemplating... to capture the sound of highend DA inside my DAW. It also starts my mixbus chain. (Unfortunately, I have my SSL 4000 clone on the 2bus at the moment... but will eventually replace it with a Neve Portico II bus comp.)

The sound of the Burl is more than noticeable. I do not want to finish a track without it anymore. It turns things into real music and was worth the upgrade. I can tell you however that Rosetta, although sonically fantastic, wouldn't have been enough to justify if I was buying it strictly for your purposes. It's worth extra channels of high quality audio... but if I were looking for 2 channels of it SOLELY for my 2bus... and I had open slots on my UCX, I'd stick with the UCX.

So... if you're going to feed those two units, and want the fed signal to be really really better than Apollo... you'd want to grab a truly highend DA conversion. You're really starting to spend money on yoru signal chain here lol, so it's not the most economical advice, I'm aware. BUT... it's my honest answer. If I were you, I'd grab the Burl B2 DAC and be done. Just route everything back into your Apollo converters and be done. Or.... spend another $1-2k on highend ADC lol (b/c why not?). At the end of the day... I personally care slightly more about the produced signal than I care about the recapture. Science has proven that the recapture can be done damn well... so I give more weight to units that can feed the mastering chain better. I have a very very tough time duplicating what the Burl DAC can do in the software realm. It feels impossible to me. I'm sure I'm just not good enough of a mix engineer.
Thank you for the advice, thats exactly what im looking for. Do you monitor out of the Burl, and pitch from your DAW at the same time? Is that possible? How do you have it set up to receive signal from the DAW? Also it doesnt have a headphone option as well, what do you use for monitoring thru headphones?
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Orion View Post
Thank you for the advice, thats exactly what im looking for. Do you monitor out of the Burl, and pitch from your DAW at the same time? Is that possible? How do you have it set up to receive signal from the DAW? Also it doesnt have a headphone option as well, what do you use for monitoring thru headphones?
No. I feel you have one of two options: monitor with it, or use it as outboard. I felt that I would make the exact same decisions with my interface that I would with the Burl. You can hear the difference, but I don't feel like I'm experienced enough to make different decisions from it.

So, I use it as outboard and capture that sound through the AD instead.

I feed the Burl via SPDIF. I have something else hooked up to my ADAT.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search