The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
IK Multimedia and Adware
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

IK Multimedia and Adware

I use internet very sparingly on my computer that I use for audio. I only go online if I need to download software or update licenses.

Most recently, I decided to take advantage of a group buy promotion going on with IK Multimedia. Immediately after purchasing and downloading their authorization manager and custom shop, my computer is littered with adware. My browser redirects to bing from google, I have weird extensions in chrome, and further adware on my computer.

Has anyone had anything remotely similar happen? I know that their whole platform is notoriously clunky, but I really cannot believe that there is adware on my computer now after installing their software. I am really not trying to be dramatic here, either. I haven't downloaded anything on my computer in months and have had no issues until this happened.

Any insight is appreciated.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Who/what organized this "Group Buy"?
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
I just took advantage of the group buy myself, and now have 7 new IKEA multimedia products which are all pretty good! I haven’t had any adware issues such as you’ve described ... are you on a Mac or a PC? I’ve always thought IK Multimedia was a good company, conscientious of their customers etc, hard to imagine that they would engage in lowball practices like that. I’m not wild about the custom shop model, or having to download all of their products and then only use them upon authorization, but inserting adware on unsuspecting customers computers is a whole other level ... I assume you’ve contacted them about this, I’d be curious as to how they respond ...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

This is not normal at all... I’ve been dealing with IK since they launched as a company and own pretty much every piece of software they have and have never experienced this

It has to be a coincidence... you picked up the malware from another source whilst downloading IK stuff.

Confirm you purchased directly from IKs site?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head
I haven't joined in the group buy (trying to cut back on gear expenses), but I have most of IK's Amplitube products and a couple of the T-Racks ones (Black 76, White2A) and I've never had any problems with adware, on either Mac or PC. IK Multimedia seem to be a reputable company. I'd be very surprised if the adware came from them.

If you haven't been online in a while, I'd consider that perhaps an outdated Chrome install or unpatched Windows could be to blame. There have been a couple of emergency security patches for both Chrome & Windows being vulnerable to attacks via web browsing over the last few months.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

I really don't mean to bring any negative attention to IK either - I am enjoying the plugins a lot and I have no way of determining that it came from my IK download. If no one has experienced a similar issue, then it could be coming from something else. It's just so strange because my comp is disconnected from the internet 99% of the time.

I appreciate all of the responses as well, thank you.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
This is not normal at all... I’ve been dealing with IK since they launched as a company and own pretty much every piece of software they have and have never experienced this

It has to be a coincidence... you picked up the malware from another source whilst downloading IK stuff.

Confirm you purchased directly from IKs site?
Purchased from IK site directly, correct.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

In any case, I was able to remove the adware successfully so this is essentially resolved. I sent out a friendly email to inquire further and I do not expect to hear that they would say something like, "oh yeah that happens sometimes!" lol. However, if there is anything remotely interesting to report, I'll drop a line here. Plugs sound great otherwise. Thanks again for your responses.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search