The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Presonus Quantum converts vs Focusrite Saffire Liquid 56
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Presonus Quantum converts vs Focusrite Saffire Liquid 56

Hi,

I'm currently using Focusrite Saffire firewire interface which is rock solid and offers surprisingly good RTL performance considering its age. The Saffire beats out many new interfaces regarding RTL and I think the converters sound good.
However, I'm currently upgrading my audio PC to an i9 9900K with 32GB DDR4 3000mhz RAM from an old i5 2500 with 16GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM. I would expect this increase in performance to allow me to run a lot more VST's so I doubt if RTL will be an issue but I'm wondering how the audio quality (particularly the converters) of my Saffire compares to the Presonus Quantum? Whilst on paper the specs look noticeably superior this doesn't real tell me how it will sound in the real world.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Although I can't compare to the Saffire, I recently upgraded to the Quantum from a 1st gen UAD Apollo and it does sound better to me. The preamps in the Quantum are at the top of the heap when comparing to similar interfaces.

I can't say for sure but the Quantum should be an step up from the Saffire.

The RTL on the Quantum is maybe the best on the market right now.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCat View Post
The RTL on the Quantum is maybe the best on the market right now.

Stable Windows drivers and very good RTL.
Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

True but the RTL on the Focusrite Saffire isn't to shabby either and is rock solid on my PC. By the time I've bought a ThunderBolt card + cable for my PC the Quantum will set me back around £900-£950. I don't really need the extra channels so I guess I need to weigh up whether the audio quality and RTL is worth over £900!?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
True but the RTL on the Focusrite Saffire isn't to shabby either and is rock solid on my PC. By the time I've bought a ThunderBolt card + cable for my PC the Quantum will set me back around £900-£950. I don't really need the extra channels so I guess I need to weigh up whether the audio quality and RTL is worth over £900!?
It also might depend upon workflow. One of the things that sometimes gets overlooked is how interfaces work overall with your system.

One of he things that drew me to the Quantum was the fact that it doesn't have and external mixer/routing app for control. The RTL is low enough to do all the routing within your DAW without the need for one. This also facilitates tracking thru plugins. It's even tighter integrated within Studio One in that you can control mic preamps, phantom power, and talkback directly in the DAW.

Getting rid of the external mixer app simplifies things and just makes the session flow better.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quantum converters are much better than Saffire. I have owned both.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Quantum converters are much better than Saffire. I have owned both.
How would you describe the difference?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
How would you describe the difference?
Saffire converters in general are a little bit lo-fi sounding to me. They don't sound like modern good stuff.

Presonus Quantum converters are very clean and neutral sounding. They don't have a lot of character per-se but they reveal all the detail and information you would want, short of more esoteric and possibly more expensive options.

I have used a specific DAC for a long time to get the exact sound quality I'm looking for in my main speakers, there are lots of great 2 channel DAC's out there.

But for my main I/O I rely on Quantum and Clarett boxes for my primary recording channels and instruments.

I "could" use the Quantum for main pair listenining, but I have an esoteric solution that I prefer (Topping DX7S.)

They all make a nice team.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search