The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Which Mac trashcan?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Which Mac trashcan?

I am pondering over upgrading my 2009 Mac Pro to a Mac Pro trashcan. The point I am stuck on is that I don't know which is the best option, a 12 core with a slower processor (2.7Ghz) or an 8 core with a faster (3.0Ghz) processor. Any ideas?
Old 1 week ago
Engagement Manager

I have both and find each machine more than capable of handling whatever projects I throw at it
That said I'm running sessions that are audio heavy rather than midi/sample heavy so not sure if that would make a difference
I still think they're great machines
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

6 or 8 core seems to be the sweet spot between cores and CPU/single CPU speed. I use a 6-core with mainly just audio and it can sometimes choke on bigger projects but pretty happy with it otherwise. I make use of all the USB & TB2 ports with 4-monitors, 6-UAD devices, TB2 dock, 2-UBS HD, 2-TB HD.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I upgraded the cpu to the Xeon E5-2667 V2 3.3 ghz 8 core - blazing...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGaff View Post
6 or 8 core seems to be the sweet spot between cores and CPU/single CPU speed. I use a 6-core with mainly just audio and it can sometimes choke on bigger projects but pretty happy with it otherwise. I make use of all the USB & TB2 ports with 4-monitors, 6-UAD devices, TB2 dock, 2-UBS HD, 2-TB HD.
Hey Audiogaff, out of curiosity... How many tracks do you have running in your bigger projects?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Usually less than 50 imported audio tracks, about a dozen Aux and another dozen Efx, 48k, 512 buffer or higher. One thing I discovered was using the macOS scaling feature to make things bigger on the 2-4k screens had a real noticeable affect on the CPUs. Now I run them 4k native and see performance improvement and live with tiny fonts, but I also like seeing the complete timeline and mixer windows and use Nuendo 10 for most of my mixing with also using 32-ch ext hardware inserts. I use the macOS Zoom feature quite a lot and could not live without it.

When I say 50 audio tracks, that is 50 real audio tracks with the track having audio thru the whole timeline, not just a cowbell for 5-seconds here and there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search