The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Am I making a mistake if I don't water cool my new build?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Am I making a mistake if I don't water cool my new build?

Am i making a mistake if I don't water cool my I9 9900k/Protools build?
I typically put my builds in rack mount cases, but I'm wondering if I should go for a case that allows for water cooling, since the goal is to build a mix computer.

When I have more time I"ll spec out the build here for opinions/advice
Old 4 days ago
Nope. Get a Noctua and be done.

There are various shootouts on youtube where Noctua coolers outperform watercooling in both temp and noise.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspaas View Post

There are various shootouts on youtube where Noctua coolers outperform watercooling in both temp and noise.
Cool, That was my plan with the rack case.

Thanks bro.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
Cool, That was my plan with the rack case.

Thanks bro.
No worries!

I’m sitting between two of them as I type this and can’t hear a thing....
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Id probably say if ur gonna mix in the room, get some Be Quiet fans, really nice and silent.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Id probably say if ur gonna mix in the room, get some Be Quiet fans, really nice and silent.
From what I've read, when things heat up, they don't tend to cool as well as Noctua fans (and comparable Noctua fans are barely louder at speed). Just depends on the needs/goals. I'd personally recommend Noctua first, unless you're building a "silent PC" - but you shouldn't be getting a heat pig like the 9900K in the first place, and then you could go with a fanless PSU, too. Etc.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
From what I've read, when things heat up, they don't tend to cool as well as Noctua fans (and comparable Noctua fans are barely louder at speed). Just depends on the needs/goals. I'd personally recommend Noctua first, unless you're building a "silent PC" - but you shouldn't be getting a heat pig like the 9900K in the first place, and then you could go with a fanless PSU, too. Etc.
I have the 3 Noctura fans and they arent as quiet as advertised. I had to disconnect the front one(120mm) cuz it was too noisy. I get 30C with just the back noctura fans pulling hot air out the PC. i would just love a near silent PC and the Be Quiet are good enough for my friends PC. Noctura is good though no lie.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
I've had a Noctua NH D15 for about 7 years now. Cools a very hot running i7 3930K.

Knock on wood, it's protected my CPU extremely well. I overclock it to 4.2ghz without speedstep, so I'm sure it gets hot in there. Never had a single issue. I had a water cooler before (Antec Kuhler H2O series... whatever was out 7 years ago), and there would be times my overclock failed due to heat periodically.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

With a custom water cooler kit you can place the radiator/pump into another room.
With a big radiator you can run it passive or semi-passive with very slow/big RPM fans.

Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

If you are transporting your computer to various places on a regular basis, maybe an AIO would be better as there is less stress on the CPU socket.

Otherwise air is a good as water cooled AIO if not better. Also cheaper and fewer points of failure.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspaas View Post

This!

I just ripped out a failed water cooler out of one of mine... lasted 5 years... but still
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

+1 for Noctua fans, used them for years without issue, save perhaps aesthetics in certain builds where that may be a factor. I doubt that's a concern here

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search