The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any new De-Esser's that work?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Any new De-Esser's that work?

Even using my Shure SMB7 on my voice, singing a few inches away, I have some sibilance on my voice. I'm pretty sure that mic is known for no sibilance, even singing right on top of it.

I'm using Waves Sibilance plug-in right now, but it's not working well enough for me. Nothing seems to work as well as just automating all the volume out of the sibilance inside Logic, but man that takes awhile and for certain words it can really just not work well at all.

Can anyone recommend another plug-in that's closer to a "turn it on and it works" solution? How's the Izotope De-Esser inside RX 7? With all the machine learning out there these days, I'm hoping there's something on the market that really works quickly.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Sometimes good results take time. I can spend hours riding vocal lines to get them to sit as I'd like. That includes manual de-essing.
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
The DMG Audio offerings are awesome. Perhaps check out the TrackDS for your needs https://dmgaudio.com/products_trackds.php

DMG Audio Essence is so good too, but may be more tweakable than you are after

Good luck
Fotis
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

FabFilter Pro-DS
Old 1 week ago
JDN
Lives for gear

The Hornet Sybilla De-Esser works really great, and is very intuitive and flexible.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Waves Renaissance Deesser, Fabfiilter ProDS.
You might need more than one deeser on the vocals. Yes, some voices are that hard to de-ess
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

i use for hard tasks gullfoss as a de esser.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I like to manually de-ess but have used TDR Nova GE dynamic EQ functions with great success. You can get a fully functioning free version with fewer bells and whistles to try out.

Tony
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks all.

Gonna try some of these tonight. Any recommendations as to which ones may have the best default ‘out of the box’ effectiveness?

I have a good feeling about Esspresso so far after some research.

Also, was surprised no one mentioned Izotope RX7 De-Esser yet. Figured that would be one of the best.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I still use Spitfish and never have a need to try anything else.

http://digitalfishphones.com/main.php?item=2&subItem=5/
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Weiss De-esser from softube! Last one you will ever need... Also the most transparant sounding one i have heard.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Newer Waves Sibilance is surprisingly effective and easy to use de-esser IMO, that would be my first pick.
I also like Sibalance by ToneBoosters, but it can look quote overwhelming due to lot options.

I don't think there is "The best" de-esser IMO, it always depends on situation. Similarly it's good to get familiar with multiple approaches for sibilance reduciton and de-esser settings, if you're bit serious about that. Presets and quick approach (just be done with it) isn't always the best, you need to experiment and sometimes combine tools and try different things.. no machine learning can really replace that (at least so far ).

For instance, it's not always right to be heavy handed with that and completely remove everything, as you can find, that cure can be worse than disease, because you loose ineligibility or it becomes too dull, so it's better to leave some sibilance here.
Also compression can exaggerate sibilance, you can try to apply de-essing before, after or at even at both places in small doses in some cases. Similarly you can tame some offensive frequencies with dynamic EQs (sibilance can be combined with unpleasant overall harshness, when vocals get compressed).
But that doesn't mean, you always need some super elaborate procedure.. you can also find, that most natural can be wideband de-esser (Waves Sibilance has nice continuous knob between wide or narrow filter) or clip volume/automation.

Finally, if that's common thing at your recordings and it bothers you, then you should also try to address that during tracking.. like with pop-filter, distance, slight off-axis pickup.. but of course effectivity of such steps greatly depends on used microphone.

So you likely won't find some silver bullet or one magic groundbreaking plugin, I'd definitely try few approaches.

Michal
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

I've had really good luck with the IK desser. You can set it for shelf or bell, with different settings for depth or resolution, or something like that. I'm at home right now. I got it in one of those group buy deals a few years ago.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/trdeesser/
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmonk View Post
Even using my Shure SMB7 on my voice, singing a few inches away, I have some sibilance on my voice. I'm pretty sure that mic is known for no sibilance, even singing right on top of it.

I'm using Waves Sibilance plug-in right now, but it's not working well enough for me. Nothing seems to work as well as just automating all the volume out of the sibilance inside Logic, but man that takes awhile and for certain words it can really just not work well at all.

Can anyone recommend another plug-in that's closer to a "turn it on and it works" solution? How's the Izotope De-Esser inside RX 7? With all the machine learning out there these days, I'm hoping there's something on the market that really works quickly.

Thanks!

It could be worth spending a lesson or 2 with a vocal coach.
You would be amazed how much "popping" and "ssss-ing" you can eliminate with a little practice and articulating correctly.

Im not denigrating the value of de-essing software (or hardware) - but I think you might find some time with a vocal coach will pay tons of rewards.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I can spend hours riding vocal lines to get them to sit as I'd like. That includes manual de-essing.
Is manual de-essing to you, mostly drawing in volume dips or are you automated EQ as well usually?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

I've tried a few of these popular ones overnight, but then found a new free one by Airwindows that's actually working the best for me so far:

https://www.airwindows.com/deess-vst/

From the creator:

"The Airwindows DeEss works by tracking slew rates, not by filtering and frequencies. It keeps a string of recent slew rates, and if it sees high slews that keep going back and forth (flipping direction) that’s how it triggers. It doesn’t trigger on things like square wave or sawtooth waves, because those aren’t going back and forth fast enough to be an ess. It’s purely mechanical: the trigger for DeEss happens instantly and way more powerfully on real esses, making it extremely easy to set. It’s not fiddly, just crank up the effect so you can plainly hear where it hits and use that (don’t overtrigger, for the bad esses you’ll get a HUGE powerful trigger even when everything else is totally clear of de-essing)"

Anyone else try this one or understand what he's saying above?

The interface has just 3 controls and I don't really know how to use it yet other than using my ears and experimenting. But, I got to a very usable place with this plugin way faster than all the others I've tried so far.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmonk View Post
Is manual de-essing to you, mostly drawing in volume dips or are you automated EQ as well usually?
Usually just volume. Sometimes I'll go into Izotope RX and pencil out a whistle or nasty resonance though.
Old 5 days ago
Sky
Lives for gear

I’ve had success with both Weiss and DMG de-essers, and also dynamic EQ in some cases, e.g. Sonnox DynEQ and FabFilter Q3. What I have not tried yet are the new visual spectrum editors, where one can simply “draw out” undesirable frequencies.

Sky
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I've been using this recently and love it.

https://www.eiosis.com/e2deesser

M
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

One more vote for Waves Siblance. Works great and very transparent. Also using the de-was in the Schoeps Omni Channel. The Omni has been taking over my mixes recently. Really easy to use.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Take a look at the HOFA DeEsser, it has several modes and can successfully take care of both whistle and classic sibilance.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search