The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Conversion question
Old 2nd August 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Conversion question

Hi guys. I am new to gearslutz. First thread here. Haha
Anyway i am currently running a home studio and i have a saffire 58 as my audio interface. The conversion is Ok on it, but thinking about adding extra channels to via adat with like say a lynx aurora.
Is there a way so that the audio conversion is done by the lynx and not the Saffire? Again i am very new to these kinds of things so go easy on me. Haha.
Thanks!
Old 3rd August 2019
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
Amsoily's Avatar
 

If you want to pass analog audio through your interface into the adat think your out of luck.

But if you plug into the adat it converts there to digital.

Like behringer ada for instance. Plug a mic into it. It converts then it can travel through digital optical cable to the interface.

Just look at the cable you are outputing on.

If its digital and the source is analog , then you know.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoily View Post
If you want to pass analog audio through your interface into the adat think your out of luck.

But if you plug into the adat it converts there to digital.

Like behringer ada for instance. Plug a mic into it. It converts then it can travel through digital optical cable to the interface.

Just look at the cable you are outputing on.

If its digital and the source is analog , then you know.
Hi thanks for the reply. I guess i wasnt clear. I think what i mean is if i connect a lynx aurora converter plugged into the saffire via adat, which of those two equipments is doing the conversion? Is it the saffire or the lynx and is there a setting to make it so that the lynx is doing the A to D conversion?

Thanks.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
Amsoily's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josmusiclab View Post
Hi thanks for the reply. I guess i wasnt clear. I think what i mean is if i connect a lynx aurora converter plugged into the saffire via adat, which of those two equipments is doing the conversion? Is it the saffire or the lynx and is there a setting to make it so that the lynx is doing the A to D conversion?

Thanks.
What are you pluggin in?

If its a!microphone and its plugged into the lynx it will convert , if you plug it into the saffire it will convert.

How are the units conected? With a digital cable? If so , it is converted prior to going through digital cable.

You are clear.
Read you 100.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
Amsoily's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoily View Post
What are you pluggin in?

If its a!microphone and its plugged into the lynx it will convert , if you plug it into the saffire it will convert.

How are the units conected? With a digital cable? If so , it is converted prior to going through digital cable.

You are clear.
Read you 100.
An adat cable 1s and 0s
Lightpipe can carry eight channels of uncompressed digital audio at 24 bit resolution at 48,000 samples or four channels at 96,000 samples per second. Initially used for the transfer of digital audio between ADATs,


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADAT_Lightpipe

Click data transfer
Old 3rd August 2019
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
Amsoily's Avatar
 

To make it easy look at the cable. But...I use many cables that can transfer digital for audio.

Just dont make it too difficult. If its electric, pressure, analog then it comes out of a box as 1 and 0s its converted. So yes, you can do both if you have inputs on each device. Outputs too.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #7
Welcome to Gearslutz!
Old 3rd August 2019
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
Amsoily's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josmusiclab View Post
Hi thanks for the reply. I guess i wasnt clear. I think what i mean is if i connect a lynx aurora converter plugged into the saffire via adat, which of those two equipments is doing the conversion? Is it the saffire or the lynx and is there a setting to make it so that the lynx is doing the A to D conversion?

Thanks.
Thought of somthing, if you want to use the Lynx for A to D plug the cable into it.

If you want the Lynx for D to A select an output for the Lynx in your Daw.
Old 4th August 2019
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

If you're going into the Saffire via ADAT, the conversion will take place in the Lynx. The signal going into the Saffire at the ADAT input is already digital so the Saffire does not need to do any converting from analog to digital.
Old 4th August 2019
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

You can also look at the Ferrofish Pulse 16 for conversion as it may be easier on the wallet.
Old 4th August 2019
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
Amsoily's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mege View Post
If you're going into the Saffire via ADAT, the conversion will take place in the Lynx. The signal going into the Saffire at the ADAT input is already digital so the Saffire does not need to do any converting from analog to digital.
The conversion will take place where he plugs his mic or insrument into.

I like that version.
Old 4th August 2019
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
Amsoily's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mege View Post
You can also look at the Ferrofish Pulse 16 for conversion as it may be easier on the wallet.

Ooh, never seen this before.

Thanks
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump