The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How reputable is MOTU?
Old 31st July 2019
Here for the gear

How reputable is MOTU?

I recently asked about audio interfaces and had a product called the MOTU 8A recommended to me. I’ve looked up the product and the specs are what I’m looking for, but there is very little info on the brand. The Wikipedia page is very short, and the amount of reviews on the product is fairly limited.

As the interface is expensive, I want to know if MOTU is a trustworthy brand. I’ve taken gambles with brands I didn’t know a lot about and have regretted it, so I’m trying not to make the same mistake.

Thank you for taking the time to read.
~Jasper.
Old 31st July 2019
MOTU is a great company. They've always maintained a very good quality balance between their software and their hardware.

I had, and used, many of their interfaces over the years: 1296, 896, 2408, 1224, MIDI Time Piece II, FastLane, on and on.

I also used Digital Performer for many years, as well. I found it the most similar to Pro Tools in workflow back in the day. I was not a huge MAS fan, but those days are in the past. I did a lot of records with their hardware and software.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Maniac

MOTU has a great rep. They recently replaced a unit of mine free of charge, so great customer service too in my book. Couldn’t be happier with my 828es.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

MOTU is absolutely a great company, and their variety of practical options for an interface is pretty much unmatched IMO. It really depends on how many ins and outs you need, and of which type. As well as a budget.
Old 31st July 2019
Never used one but the brand has been strong since early 00's at least...I lusted after the Traveller when it first came out.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Very reputable company with a long history. They’re also good at maintaining software support for their audio interfaces for many years. Their drivers are pretty low latency too.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Head
MOTU customer service is good, but their products are, well.. Not. Horrible drivers, not the best sound in the world, and I do know a LOT of people who have had issues with their MOTU products in the past. It seems that some products hold out better than others do,
Old 1st August 2019
Ive been using MOTU for 15 years. My friend and ex drummer used to work for them. Mark Of The Unicorn (MOTU) is a great and reputable company
Old 1st August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimFranke View Post
MOTU customer service is good, but their products are, well.. Not. Horrible drivers, not the best sound in the world, and I do know a LOT of people who have had issues with their MOTU products in the past. It seems that some products hold out better than others do,
Just curious, are you using Mac or PC? Generally when I've heard this, it's been PC users. I have a Mac, so I bought with confidence, but curious what your experience has been.
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

i think Motu Are Great.

Rock Solid for me, on Mac, for over 25 years.

Day in Day out. Rock Solid.

Buddha
Old 2nd August 2019
I have 5 of their converters which work and sound great - 4 upgraded by Black Lion did kick them up a bit. Had the MIDI Time Piece for about 10 years (worked like a charm) and upgraded to the iConnectivity brand mio10 which is a better box - but of course is a much newer product. Also like DP version 9 - not a big fan of version 10 but I am sure many like the new features. Their customer service has alway been great and have called them many times. They are a small enough company that they are still innovative.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I used the 2408mkii for years and it never flinched even once. I also found digital performer to be quite good. This was ten years ago though so YMMV
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimFranke View Post
No problems here. Using 16a alongside my Apogee Ensemble without issue. No product can touch it for functionality at that price point.

Motu has been a main player in the computer music field since the mid-80s, before many here were born. Try Wikipedia.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasterz View Post
No problems here. Using 16a alongside my Apogee Ensemble without issue. No product can touch it for functionality at that price point.

Motu has been a main player in the computer music field since the mid-80s, before many here were born. Try Wikipedia.
Well yeah, but so have a lot of other companies that bring out wonky products every once in a while. YMMV, but my experience with MOTU products ( I have owned multiple, including the Traveler MK3) has been very bad, and I know of at least 4 people from the top of my head that had to return them, had continuous driver issues, etc. So, it's not perfect for everyone!

Glad to hear your 16A is working well, but that doesn't invalidate my experience.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I’m using a 2408, and it’s working great. Sound and function wise it was a huge step up from a Focusrite interface.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Im using an 828es and using the adat in for additional ins when i need them from a 2408mk2. Rock solid.
Old 4 weeks ago
Using a Motu 1248 and have owner an original 828 and ultra lite - I also have UA 2192 and Apogee Ensemble and the 1248 is of comparable quality, though much cleaner character, in the conversion - super functional With great drivers & long lasting support - definitely a good company
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Never used one but the brand has been strong since early 00's at least...I lusted after the Traveller when it first came out.
MOTU has been going strong since the mid-eighties. They were one of the first companies to release music software for the original Macintosh computer - the beige one with the 9-inch black+white CRT screen. I had that rig - a Macintosh Plus running Performer v1.22, so I've ben using MOTU products for about 35 years now.

I currently use their 1248 and 112d AVB interfaces, and I had multiple rigs using the 2408 series for about 15 years before this setup. In all that time I've never had a hardware failure, or any sort of white-noise blast, clicking, popping, "interface not found" or any other weirdness... EVER.

Buy with confidence.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I had to replace my 8pre Firewire with another interface. It was from 2008-ish, but after the standard Thomann warranty of 3 years it started to have noise on the left output (known issue: https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/8preleftnoise). Resetting works, but at the end I had to reset several times each day. I guess that model was a bit unlucky? Otherwise no complaints.

Now I use it as converter with spdif together with a Focusrite.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

You might want to go through MOTU’s pages of tech notes to see if there’s any known issues with whatever model you want. It seems like they’re pretty open about these things (which is nice).
Old 3 weeks ago
They work great, so long as you check compatibility and RTFM.

Sound quality is better than the budget brands, and not as great as the high end stuff. Perfectly workable gear at a decent price.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
MOTU has been going strong since the mid-eighties. They were one of the first companies to release music software for the original Macintosh computer - the beige one with the 9-inch black+white CRT screen. I had that rig - a Macintosh Plus running Performer v1.22, so I've ben using MOTU products for about 35 years now.

I currently use their 1248 and 112d AVB interfaces, and I had multiple rigs using the 2408 series for about 15 years before this setup. In all that time I've never had a hardware failure, or any sort of white-noise blast, clicking, popping, "interface not found" or any other weirdness... EVER.

Buy with confidence.
Yeah my experience is right on with Mr C's... Used their rock solid MIDI Express XT for years with my PC and later my G3. Decided to be a firewire AND OS X guinea pig and bought the brand new 828 when it first came out, that thing ruled. Couple years later, they dropped the MK2, sold the 828 the day Sam Ash got them in stock and ran down there and bought it (yay for the first batch who's LCDs burned out right away!). It did its job without question for about 12 years and finally the power supply went out on it in 2016. Bought a >$200 replacement off Ebay, that thing is STILL rocking right here. Never had any issues, the thing just performs flawlessly every single time. They are one of the few companies who's products actually deliver everything it says in the ad.

Sort of looking to the future now since obviously one day the firewire will have to go when this 2010 Mac does, and more than likely based on past experience, thats where Im going for a replacement. Might actually cut it down though and go with an Ultralite this time. Dont really have the need for 16 inputs anymore and at my age I probably wont again heh.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I've got a Motu UltraLite AVB. I bought it when it first came out, and initially had a driver issue but once the drivers were updated all has been very stable.

I think Motu provides a very good value; price to performance. The router and mixer are very nice; same as in their high end AVB devices. I used to have a Focusrite Scarlett interface and the Motu was a step up.

Recently I've been getting external gear (preamps, ADC, DAC, HP amp) but I still use the Ultralite AVB for all the digital interfacing to/from the external gear and the computer.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Sort of looking to the future now since obviously one day the firewire will have to go when this 2010 Mac does,
You can keep using it probably - all you need is a firewire->thunderbolt adapter dongle
I have a 896HD running on a 2014 Mac mini with Mojave just fine
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I've used MOTU hardware for over 20 years now, solid.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jproc View Post
You can keep using it probably - all you need is a firewire->thunderbolt adapter dongle
I have a 896HD running on a 2014 Mac mini with Mojave just fine
SHHHHH dont tell him that, I want one of the new ones with the new converters in it and the dual ADAT ports!!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
SHHHHH dont tell him that, I want one of the new ones with the new converters in it and the dual ADAT ports!!!
I have the 828es and the 123db range on the DAC is absolutely amazing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessDinosaur View Post
I have the 828es and the 123db range on the DAC is absolutely amazing.
Yeah I was gonna 'cheap out' and save the $50 or whatever and get the X but if youre already paying that much, might as well save another week or so!

I really wish they would rev the 2408! Was looking at some latency comparisons the other day that were fairly recent (like last couple of years I think?) and I was shocked to see the 424 PCIe card was still almost at the top of the list right under the old RME HDSP stuff! The 828s were waaaaay down at the bottom (I only remember seeing the X and Hybrid listed using USB, don't think the ES was out).
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Yeah I was gonna 'cheap out' and save the $50 or whatever and get the X but if youre already paying that much, might as well save another week or so!

I really wish they would rev the 2408! Was looking at some latency comparisons the other day that were fairly recent (like last couple of years I think?) and I was shocked to see the 424 PCIe card was still almost at the top of the list right under the old RME HDSP stuff! The 828s were waaaaay down at the bottom (I only remember seeing the X and Hybrid listed using USB, don't think the ES was out).
Well I am running a late 2012 mac mini i7 2.6gig quad core, 16 gig of ram and dual 256 gig ssd's with osX mojave logic pro x and my 828es is set with a buffer rate of 32 recording at 24/48k. Via thunderbolt. Zero latency monitoring via dsp mixer from MOTU. Rock solid performance. No issues of anysort. Round trip latency is something like 2.6 or 2.8ms.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:

Honestly with the i/o options available on the 828es and the 1248 and how fast thunderbolt connections are, is there really a need to revive the 2408 series. I thought they were great for the time. I just retired a 2408 mk2 rig with a 324 card that I had been running since 2004. Still sounded great but I just dont see a market for that stuff as much.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search