The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Airwindows: DI electric guitar thread?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Airwindows: DI electric guitar thread?

Hey fellow Airwindows fans and patrons! (If you can, do contribute to the Patreon if you use Chris' plugin. Speaking for myself, it's the one recurring monthly payment that makes me smile every time it goes through!)

I'd like to start a thread about ideas using Airwindows plugins to process DI electric guitar. ATM I'm particularly interested in using (chains of) Airwindows plugins in place of an amp head modeler (to be fed into a speaker cab IR.) (Personally: Not looking to nail specific traditional/hardware tones; I care about signal chains that transform variations in dynamics at the instrument into complex variations in saturation, dynamics, and overall coloration; I'm after Airwindows flavors of that.) Thoughts on exploring the wonderful territory of straight into the recording console guitar tones are more than welcome too. So is anything else you deem relevant to the thread!

Some ideas and questions to get the ball rolling.

1. BussColors 4! I'm still scratching the surface of this one. Amazed by how easy it is to get musical results using barely more than BC4 (into a cab IR) from saturated cleans to light drive. EQ and dynamics stages before and after BC4 to taste.

2. Saturation/distortion stages? Are there specific Airwindows distortion/saturation algos that are poor/better candidates for being used at multiple stages in a chain? (E.g. HardVacuum comes to mind as a promising candidate. What about e.g. Spiral?)

3. Point? This little monster screams potential to me (at least to shape how the chain deals with transients), but I could use pointers.

4. Slew? Acceleration? Lowpass? Where do you prefer slew limiting or acceleration limiting over some lowpass in an electric guitar signal chain?
Old 3 weeks ago
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_well View Post
Hey fellow Airwindows fans and patrons! (If you can, do contribute to the Patreon if you use Chris' plugin. Speaking for myself, it's the one recurring monthly payment that makes me smile every time it goes through!)

I'd like to start a thread about ideas using Airwindows plugins to process DI electric guitar. ATM I'm particularly interested in using (chains of) Airwindows plugins in place of an amp head modeler (to be fed into a speaker cab IR.) (Personally: Not looking to nail specific traditional/hardware tones; I care about signal chains that transform variations in dynamics at the instrument into complex variations in saturation, dynamics, and overall coloration; I'm after Airwindows flavors of that.) Thoughts on exploring the wonderful territory of straight into the recording console guitar tones are more than welcome too. So is anything else you deem relevant to the thread!
Be sure not to overlook GuitarConditioner, the sorta-tube-screamery plugin that was specifically designed for this purpose
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Be sure not to overlook GuitarConditioner, the sorta-tube-screamery plugin that was specifically designed for this purpose
For sure! So far I’ve mostly used guitar conditioner first in chain. Would you recommend trying it after other saturation/coloring/dynamics stages?

Thanks for your mind blowing work!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search