The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
High end, high quality recording.
Old 4 weeks ago
High end, high quality recording.

Hey guys.

Question:
Besides doing tracks for other artist? I’m also putting out my own music/instrumentals as a producer. But I don’t want to put out, what I feel is, not high quality sounding recordings.

Everything is all software synth based (Ableton, FL Studio, Studio One and Reason. Running on a iMac ?) and working ITB. I’m not even tracking anything into my interface (Presonus AudioBox 96K).

I’m sure it’s not a mixing issue. It’s more of a “quality” issue. The overall mix isn’t sounding high quality. Doesn’t sound like it’s “high definition”. Like the difference between a Polaroid picture and a picture taken with the iPhone. More detailed. I’ve heard horrible mixes on some songs but the overall quality sounded like it was HD.

Plus the fact that some of these music upload sites like SoundCloud and others, doesn’t make the recording sound any better. It’s like they degree the sound a bit. I’ve heard songs on SoundCloud where you can hear a slight degrading of it? But the song was so high quality that it still sounded way better than my mixes.

What an I missing? I’m sure they aren’t the greatest but, should I start tracking music through my interface pre’s/converters? Would that make “some” difference?
Old 4 weeks ago
It's either the arrangement, the quality of the sounds( vsti) or the mix. Probably all 3, to varying degrees.

Your converters aren't affecting the sound quality and a better interface will only help you hear better, which can help for making mixing decisions, but doesn't impact the actual sound quality of your samples etc.

Last edited by Reverb; 4 weeks ago at 09:31 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
It's either the arrangenent, the quality of the sounds( vsti) or the mix. Probably all 3, to varying degrees.

Your converters aren't affecting the sound quality and a better interface will only help you hear better, which can help for making mixing decisions, but doesn't impact the actual sound quakity of your samples etc.
I’m not sure if this is necessarily true. I’ve heard HORRIBLE mixes, totally bad sounds in a song with less than 7 sounds in the song. It’s not the sounds or mixes I’m talking about. It’s the overall song quality itself. Song sounds big and detailed. Like it’s been ran through something high quality. I think these kids that are making tracks on their laptops are just making beats. But once stems are sent to the engineer? He’s totally running those streams through something high end at the end of the day. Either the stems themselves or the finial song being ran through something and printed back in. I’m sure the average 17 year old making beats in his bedroom isn't even thinking about converters or mixing etc. Anything beyond leveling with faders, the average 17 year old is totally oblivious to anything else. But these songs you are hearing are made by 17-25 year olds off a laptop.

Last edited by rallycapmusic; 4 weeks ago at 03:21 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
No "something" will make it sound high quality if it's not.
It's the whole package as Reverb explaind.
Old 4 weeks ago
I remember watching a clip of Skrillex hammering out a tune on his laptop in a hotel somewhere on you tube. These people know how to mix and use the tools. You can't be creating amazing beats and be completely oblivious on how to mix them - it's all tied together now.

No young person can afford hiring a seperate mix engineer for all their tunes, so that's just not likely.

Also, if you watch tutorials by Pensado and other professional mixers - the rough mixes they receive are already excellent - they don't need to do much, but their fine ears help clarify things and make it stand out better.

I'd encourage you to watch some tutorials. Pensado's Place has some very good ones.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I remember watching a clip of Skrillex hammering out a tune on his laptop in a hotel somewhere on you tube. These people know how to mix and use the tools. You can't be creating amazing beats and be completely oblivious on how to mix them - it's all tied together now.

No young person can afford hiring a seperate mix engineer for all their tunes, so that's just not likely.

Also, if you watch tutorials by Pensado and other professional mixers - the rough mixes they receive are already excellent - they don't need to do much, but their fine ears help clarify things and make it stand out better.

I'd encourage you to watch some tutorials. Pensado's Place has some very good ones.
Like I said. I don’t think this a “mixing” issue. I honestly believe it’s a “quality” issue. Like converters, sample rate, “color” issue. I’ve heard HORRIBLE mixes but the overall tonal quality is SUPERB.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search