The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sample-rates visualized on a piano
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear
Sample-rates visualized on a piano

I was having a discussion with a friend about sample-rates. I made this chart to help explain a couple simple concepts. It's interesting to see an approximation of whats going on in a musical sense—rather than hertz.

It's interesting to point out that the difference between 44.1 and 48kHz is only 1 tone.

This is not a flame war on sample rates. I've been down that road. Not fun. There are very legitimate reasons why you would record at any given sample-rate.
Attached Thumbnails
Sample-rates visualized on a piano-piano-sr-chart.jpg  
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear
Although you may have prevented a sample rate war, you may have started a MIDI note name/numbering skirmish:

The E1 in your example at 20 Hz is more usually the E1 41.2 Hz that corresponds to the low E string on a 4-string bass. That would put your top notes at F10 rather than F9 as in your picture. Since this is all hypothetical, I doubt the orbit of the earth is threatened by this difference.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
Although you may have prevented a sample rate war, you may have started a MIDI note name/numbering skirmish:

The E1 in your example at 20 Hz is more usually the E1 41.2 Hz that corresponds to the low E string on a 4-string bass. That would put your top notes at F10 rather than F9 as in your picture. Since this is all hypothetical, I doubt the orbit of the earth is threatened by this difference.
Look again. It’s actually E negative 1 (E -1). E 0 =41.20Hz
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search